Twitter: Cowboys Sign DB Treston Decoud To Practice Squad

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Treston Decoud Cut by Texans

Decoud’s release comes one day after he worked primarily with the special teams against the Cowboys, tallying two combined tackles and a killer penalty on special teams.

A fifth-round pick, Decoud originally joined the Texans as a cornerback. He spent the majority of his rookie season playing on special teams and as a late-game reserve. In 10 games of action, he totaled seven combined tackles and one pass defense while playing behind Johnathan Joseph, Kareem Jackson, and Kevin Johnson.

Heading into this season, however, Decoud switched positions to become a safety. The move appeared to be beneficial for the second-year player as he totaled eight combined tackles over the four preseason games, most of which came as he ran up to make a play. Unfortunately for Decoud, the move was also slightly ill-timed considering that the Texans switched Kareem Jackson to safety, signed Tyrann Mathieu in free agency, and drafted Justin Reid out of Stanford. The aforementioned trio performed better than expected and made Decoud more expendable.

Last edited:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Wouldn't be shocked if Richard doesn't try him at CB.

Texans' Treston Decoud loves playing with Tyrann Mathieu, his idol

A fifth-round draft pick last year from Oregon State, Decoud shifted to safety from cornerback this offseason. He played in 10 games as a rookie, recording five tackles in the final two games of the season against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts.

Decoud is making a solid transition to the new position.

"It's different mentally," Decoud said. "You got to make the calls. It's been a transition. I'm still learning. I have to keep stacking days."

At 6-3, 210 pounds with an aggressive style of play, Decoud is well-suited to safety.

"I just think with his size, length, tackling ability, I thought it would be a better fit for him," O'Brien said. "We'll see how it goes, but he's competing there."

morasp

Reaction score
Strengths Has outstanding size with long arms. Recognizes misdirection and plays with decent football instincts. Patient feet from press coverage. Can be physical through the route. Quick to body up and crowd an outside release against the sideline. Experienced in a variety of coverage. Held talented Cal wideout, Chad Hansen, to just four catches for sixteen yards. Eyeballs quarterback from zone and has good response time relative to quarterback's release. Aggressive tackler who steps downhill looking to finish in run support. Works off of blocks and into tackle position. Drives into his target, wraps, and tackles.

Bottom Line Treston's size and physicality are two traits that some teams will covet on draft day, but there are some coverage limitations that push him towards a cover-2 defense. DeCoud lacks the trigger quickness to close separation windows that open against him, so a team may try and convert him into a free safety role where his coverage and tackling may be a fit as a backup.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/treston-decoud?id=2558100

Carson

Reaction score
Another converted corner! Richards kind of guy

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Wonder if he's the brother of Thomas DeCoud, who was a pretty decent safety for the Falcons just a few years back.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Wouldn't be shocked if Richard doesn't try him at CB.

Texans' Treston Decoud loves playing with Tyrann Mathieu, his idol

A fifth-round draft pick last year from Oregon State, Decoud shifted to safety from cornerback this offseason. He played in 10 games as a rookie, recording five tackles in the final two games of the season against the Pittsburgh Steelers and Indianapolis Colts.

Decoud is making a solid transition to the new position.

"It's different mentally," Decoud said. "You got to make the calls. It's been a transition. I'm still learning. I have to keep stacking days."

At 6-3, 210 pounds with an aggressive style of play, Decoud is well-suited to safety.

"I just think with his size, length, tackling ability, I thought it would be a better fit for him," O'Brien said. "We'll see how it goes, but he's competing there."

Mathieu is my idol too.
Where do i sign my contract ?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So we haven't filled the last roster spot and last practice squad spot yet?