Signed by Cowboys Cowboys sign LB Rashad Smith (Bears) and OT Alex Light (Cardinals) off other clubs PS

texbumthelife

Reaction score
and you are? you realizes some teams with the best preparation cant foresee having your entire LB core and 4 OL go down before the end of the first qtr in game 1..

there not only a cap but also a limit to how many players are active and on the roster..

Ok genius?

OT and LB just had an unusual rash of injuries', lots of teams have to go grab players off other PS or off the street..cant be planned for..

I mean, you're not wrong, but Jerry relied on a guy he drafted with known neck issues who missed most of last season, a guy who had a catastrophic injury and has looked lousy since, a guy who I don't think has ever played a full season and is on IR, and a couple of guys that should probably be on the practice squad or scout teams. After last season it was clear to anyone looking without Cowboy tinted glasses that the linebacking core needed a lot of help. They did nothing to address it. So no, it's not entirely Jerry's fault, but let's not act like these guys getting hurt was some fluke.

John813

Reaction score
I mean, you're not wrong, but Jerry relied on a guy he drafted with known neck issues who missed most of last season, a guy who had a catastrophic injury and has looked lousy since, a guy who I don't think has ever played a full season and is on IR, and a couple of guys that should probably be on the practice squad or scout teams. After last season it was clear to anyone looking without Cowboy tinted glasses that the linebacking core needed a lot of help. They did nothing to address it. So no, it's not entirely Jerry's fault, but let's not act like these guys getting hurt was some fluke.

They did talk to LBs that went in day 1-2 but the value they got on their picks was great. I think they knew but usually are conservative on issues like this

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Actually, Jaylon and LVE looked like a great duo 2 years ago, and Lee played all 16 last year. I've been a supporter of Jaylon's, but Sunday he looked absolutely terrible. He wasn't afraid of contact though, in fact he seems to think he's a lot bigger than he is. He tries to go through OL who just throw him through the air like you'd throw a child into a pool. (Whether it's full or empty depends on the child.) I don't see a lack of effort from him, just a lack of intelligence.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If Carr plays safety before wilson we may as well cut him.

Carr has been a better player in his career than probably Wilson, Thompson and even Woods can probably hope to have. Granted, it has been at corner, but it's likely that he's simply the superior player no matter the position.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
So a team that struggled defending the run and has a starting LB that likes to run away from contact signs a 220 lb linebacker?

Will McClay special.

Sounds like a Darren Woodson starter kit. Don't know how slow or fast he is, though.

aria

Reaction score
Hell yea now we can be mediocre at best on defense...so exciting
It really is, keeps the game closer and therefore more interesting. Who wants to dominate all the time, sounds like a drama less snooze fest!

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Carr has been a better player in his career than probably Wilson, Thompson and even Woods can probably hope to have. Granted, it has been at corner, but it's likely that he's simply the superior player no matter the position.
No. Not at safety.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm interested to see what they do with OT Alex Light. He made McCarthy and Philbin's 2018 Packers team as an undrafted free agent, and Dallas jumped at the chance to bring him here as soon as they were able. The new coaches must like him. He did play some right tackle for the Pack and he might actually be a better short term option than Steele. It was mentioned that he showed his versatility by lining up at center, guard, and tackle.

Carson

Reaction score
I'm interested to see what they do with OT Alex Light. He made McCarthy and Philbin's 2018 Packers team as an undrafted free agent, and Dallas jumped at the chance to bring him here as soon as they were able. The new coaches must like him. He did play some right tackle for the Pack and he might actually be a better short term option than Steele. It was mentioned that he showed his versatility by lining up at center, guard, and tackle.

So every offensive lineman on our team outside of Smith, Martin and Collins are jack of all trades and masters of none.

Sometimes having versatile players is a nice thing. But I much prefer a player being solid at one position than below average at multiple

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
At 6-5, 287 lbs., Alex really is a bit Light! :muttley: Nevertheless, maybe there not much to lose by giving him a shot at RT 'til La'el returns?! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So every offensive lineman on our team outside of Smith, Martin and Collins are jack of all trades and masters of none.

Sometimes having versatile players is a nice thing. But I much prefer a player being solid at one position than below average at multiple

I agree about that for your starters, but as we've seen, injuries can crop up at any position at any time, and as far as backup players, the more you can do, the better.