Cowboys starting RDE?

tunahelper

Reaction score
I thought about that but I'm not sure we offer him a guarantee of making the team if Gregory and/or Smith light-up training camp.

Really good article about Smith. I am glad we are taking a flier on him. Read somewhere 6-8 teams were talking with him as well.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...all-pro-has-to-say-about-signing-with-dallas/

"There is beauty in the struggle," Smith wrote after the signing, via social media. "Life will always present us with tests. I've learned how to take a different perspective on the adversities of life. Instead of looking at life as a victim, I have embraced the journey as God has planned it, making exponential strides towards becoming a better man."

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
**Remember Gregory, Smith, and Crawford will be free agents after this year
**Gregory has started only 1 game in five years

Gregory played the majority of snaps in 8 games of the final 9 of 2018, he just didn't get the *first* snap. He was the starter in all but formality. Crawford got those starts while playing <50% snaps in all those games.

Gregory is still RFA in 2021.
https://overthecap.com/player/randy-gregory/3908/

If Gregory makes the field this year, I expect he'll be extended before 2021 opening day.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You may be right.......the fact we sign Smith ($4M) may be a clue they're planning to invest prime resources into the position. Think about, you don't do this kind of contract if you're targeting a sure-fire starter via draft or free agency.

Of the 4mil, 2mil are bonuses, 1mil or so gameday checks. We've *invested* almost nothing in Smith.

IMO, the guy that keeps us from investing in starter resources at RDE is Gregory. Many will moan over this, but Gregory is likely our RDE for years to come. He's RFA in 2021, and after all this time waiting on him, Jerry isn't going to watch him walk in 2022. If this year goes well, he gets extended in 2021.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Will be interesting to see how this shakes out and if Smith and randy can make it through a full season. We know Crawford will be hurt but play through the pain to finish the year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how this shakes out and if Smith and randy can make it through a full season. We know Crawford will be hurt but play through the pain to finish the year.

Good chance the reign of Crawford ends. He's always been a poor fit for a 4-3. The new staff has more stake in playing McCoy and Poe, no stake in keeping Crawford around, and just may not want a tweener either, as evidenced by the unforced cut of Daniel Wise.

quickccc

Reaction score
1. Randy Gregory...... drug addiction, started one game in four years
2. Alton Smith............alcoholic, hasn't played since 2015
3. Tyrone Crawford....coming off surgery, IRed 2019, better DT?????
4. Dorance Armstrong.....2.5 sacks in two years
5. Joe Jackson...........?????

Still lots of questions and what-ifs

**Crawford is listed as the current starter until......
**Alton Smith is one drink from???
**How much $$$$ are we willing to invest in a quality tier 2 free agent considering DLaw $20M per year at LDE? What if tier 2 players ( Clowney and/or Griffen ) are looking for multi-year deals?
**What if we draft DE at 17 and Smith and/or Gregory have career years. Long-term offers or let them walk?

My point, this position is far from being settled. I'm guessing we will still add one quality player via free agent or draft.

Side note: IMO this is why they haven't asked Crawford to take a pay-cut, his experience, and stability. Not to mention, we're not locked into his salary until after the first regular-season game. My guess is they will wait until they've settled on a starter sometime before the season starts to make a final decision on his pay-cut.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

And that all the more reason why paying him an existing 9 miliion dollar tag.. does not make sense.
Overpaying for a utility/rotational guy just to have a chance at Stability and Leadership ?

- What does that say about our existing leadership on this entire team, from a player on the tail end of his career, ..and what does that say about
our own Stability and Leadership as an Organization ?

- and it's not like Crawford has been a perennial Pro Bowler and that kind of a difference maker as a DE.
and in fact, he has doesn't have the difference making tools to make us a better defense - he gets cancelled out by capable OTs
and he's much better on the move inside at nickel DT, in spots, packages and occasions, than he is on an island.
Just doesn't have the edge burst or movement skills to be effective enough at DE.

- and here's the other note to that side note. Why would we want to put Crawford in that position where he could get better accumulated with his
new NFL team by keeping him around here that long ? (cut him just before reg season date) , ..and it's not like we have to take a big salary cap hit,
even now it would cost us so minimal. :eek:

quickccc

Reaction score
Good chance the reign of Crawford ends. He's always been a poor fit for a 4-3. The new staff has more stake in playing McCoy and Poe, no stake in keeping Crawford around, and just may not want a tweener either, as evidenced by the unforced cut of Daniel Wise.

If this organization believed in it's player personnel dept, to successfully deliver the talent to the roster.
and it's new coaching staff to better scheme and place a better system for it's players to perform, then they should be better confident
about moving in younger, long term players than hanging on to wear/tear aging players especially one carrying that kind of
ridiculous dollar tag.

In a good sense, wouldn't a Joe Jackson be better suited to be groomed as a 3-4 end and an inside nickel pass rushing DT in the 4-3 scheme.
A young power player who uses his hands well and has a knack for backfield disruption.
Of course Jackson is very short and bereft of game experience, but that's when you depend upon your coaching staff to properly
provide and scheme for those players into the rotations and packages to gain that kind of experience.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
1. Randy Gregory...... drug addiction, started one game in four years
2. Alton Smith............alcoholic, hasn't played since 2015
3. Tyrone Crawford....coming off surgery, IRed 2019, better DT?????
4. Dorance Armstrong.....2.5 sacks in two years
5. Joe Jackson...........?????

Still lots of questions and what-ifs

**Crawford is listed as the current starter until......
**Alton Smith is one drink from???
**How much $$$$ are we willing to invest in a quality tier 2 free agent considering DLaw $20M per year at LDE? What if tier 2 players ( Clowney and/or Griffen ) are looking for multi-year deals?
**What if we draft DE at 17 and Smith and/or Gregory have career years. Long-term offers or let them walk?

My point, this position is far from being settled. I'm guessing we will still add one quality player via free agent or draft.

Side note: IMO this is why they haven't asked Crawford to take a pay-cut, his experience, and stability. Not to mention, we're not locked into his salary until after the first regular-season game. My guess is they will wait until they've settled on a starter sometime before the season starts to make a final decision on his pay-cut.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

I think Crawford is the base/fallback. A solid player who holds up well against the run at RDE, but doesn't add much pass rush.

If Smith or Gregory show they can get up to speed quickly, then that's less time for Crawford at RDE.

I believe that this is the plan and not drafting an RDE unless one drops to us that we just can't resist.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think that Jaylon blitzing more is a good possibility. I'm hopeful that this staff will be smart enough to realize that Smith's best role would be as a SLB and moving forward and attacking the line of scrimmage, not dropping into coverage.

I'm optimistic that they will have him as part of their regular five-man blitz packages that I expect to see a lot more of.

i agree with using Jaylon in a forward moving position, but i'm not on board with moving him to strong side OLB on a full time basis,.. if you are proposing that move.

and this is where i hope this coaching staff is smart enough to keep in the middle as a full time starting position as Jaylon doesn't seem to have the lateral movement or change of direction to factor enough as a OLB on the outside, the more he has go laterally or dropping him into reverse and passing lanes the more disadvantage he will be. And the better offensive teams and OC's will plan, scheme to take advantage of that, providing they have the capable personnel to take advantage of that.
Add to that, Jaylon is not instinctive or has a feel for anticipating pass plays so that even adds to the trouble of having him on the outside

As you said, he's strictly a forward moving player and so long as the plays are in front of him, and he doesn't have as much wide ground to cover while he's in the middle, he stands a better chance vs isolation against backs and TEs in coverage, whether in man or in space, imo..

Use him as a delayed or stunt-twisting blitzer up the middle or move him in a bltizer of the edge vs blocking RBs, on certain packages and certain plays, and that works to our advantage and matchups, but moving him full time to strong side, i think that would be a big mistake.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Gregory played the majority of snaps in 8 games of the final 9 of 2018, he just didn't get the *first* snap. He was the starter in all but formality. Crawford got those starts while playing <50% snaps in all those games.

Gregory is still RFA in 2021.
https://overthecap.com/player/randy-gregory/3908/

If Gregory makes the field this year, I expect he'll be extended before 2021 opening day.

This list Gregory as UFA in 2021 and to be honest, so does Spotrac. I think he's a free agent after this year. I know there's some confusion about whether or not the Cowboys tried to extend him an extra couple years but I don't the league approved it.

Listen I understand what you're saying about our commitment to Randy and him being a legit starter. Honestly, nothing would may me happier than to see his career get back on track of earning his next deal, but we keep in mind, he has an addiction. Some may say it's nothing serious coz it's weed but the fact is, it's very serious. If you think about it, he'll be the first player with known drug addiction the league will allow to play and continue using.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think Crawford is the base/fallback. A solid player who holds up well against the run at RDE, but doesn't add much pass rush.

If Smith or Gregory show they can get up to speed quickly, then that's less time for Crawford at RDE.

I believe that this is the plan and not drafting an RDE unless one drops to us that we just can't resist.

I agree with all except I think may draft one ( Weaver????) early but not at 17. As mentioned earlier, Smith, Gregory, Crawford are all free agents after the season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
This list Gregory as UFA in 2021 and to be honest, so does Spotrac. I think he's a free agent after this year. I know there's some confusion about whether or not the Cowboys tried to extend him an extra couple years but I don't the league approved it.

Listen I understand what you're saying about our commitment to Randy and him being a legit starter. Honestly, nothing would may me happier than to see his career get back on track of earning his next deal, but we keep in mind, he has an addiction. Some may say it's nothing serious coz it's weed but the fact is, it's very serious. If you think about it, he'll be the first player with known drug addiction the league will allow to play and continue using.

To be an UFA in 2021, Gregoru needs 4 accrued seasons, including this year. Means he needs to have gotten an accrued season out of 2016, when he only played 2 games, and had two suspensions of 4 weeks and 10 weeks. I don't see how he gets 6 active weeks for an accrued season in 2016 when he was suspended for 14 games.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i agree with using Jaylon in a forward moving position, but i'm not on board with moving him to strong side OLB on a full time basis,.. if you are proposing that move.

and this is where i hope this coaching staff is smart enough to keep in the middle as a full time starting position as Jaylon doesn't seem to have the lateral movement or change of direction to factor enough as a OLB on the outside, the more he has go laterally or dropping him into reverse and passing lanes the more disadvantage he will be. And the better offensive teams and OC's will plan, scheme to take advantage of that, providing they have the capable personnel to take advantage of that.
Add to that, Jaylon is not instinctive or has a feel for anticipating pass plays so that even adds to the trouble of having him on the outside

As you said, he's strictly a forward moving player and so long as the plays are in front of him, and he doesn't have as much wide ground to cover while he's in the middle, he stands a better chance vs isolation against backs and TEs in coverage, whether in man or in space, imo..

Use him as a delayed or stunt-twisting blitzer up the middle or move him in a bltizer of the edge vs blocking RBs, on certain packages and certain plays, and that works to our advantage and matchups, but moving him full time to strong side, i think that would be a big mistake.

I feel that strongside linebacker would involve the least amount of coverage of all of the positions. The most blitzing and least coverage responsibilities. And a position that's typically not on the field in obvious passing downs (unless they're rushing the passer). Jaylon is the most physical of the top three as well, which is a necessary component of that role as well.

Of Lee, LVE, and Jaylon, I feel their best fits are Lee at WLB, LVE in the middle, and Smith at SLB.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

If that's true then they would probably cut him before camp. I think they like what he can do when healthy as a high floor guy.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree with all except I think may draft one ( Weaver????) early but not at 17. As mentioned earlier, Smith, Gregory, Crawford are all free agents after the season.

Maybe. Quinn was a one-year rental and while we did draft two DEs, we did it pretty late in the draft. Of course, I think in the back of their minds, the Cowboys were always counting on Gregory's return.

We've got the one-year problem at corner and defensive end, so that might place both of those positions higher in priority. We've got the same situation at safety.

The Cowboys always seem to want to go into the draft without any absolute needs, but the execution of that idea is more difficult than the thought. Charlton was a need pick. LVE was a need pick. Hill was a need pick.

I think the need is stronger at corner and possibly at safety than DE because of the "potential" there with Gregory and Smith, which is why I think our first couple of picks will be in the secondary if all things are equal.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This an interesting point coz remember if you're DC, one of your first priorities is where are you getting the sacks you've lost via free agency. Quinn had what 9? Is Crawford good for 5? Either way, I'm pretty damn sure Gregory and/or Smith can get us 7-8 IF they are on the team when the season starts.

Robert Quinn posted 11.5 Sacks and 22 pressures or hits on the QB in 14 games.

quickccc

Reaction score
I feel that strongside linebacker would involve the least amount of coverage of all of the positions. The most blitzing and least coverage responsibilities. And a position that's typically not on the field in obvious passing downs (unless they're rushing the passer). Jaylon is the most physical of the top three as well, which is a necessary component of that role as well.

Of Lee, LVE, and Jaylon, I feel their best fits are Lee at WLB, LVE in the middle, and Smith at SLB.

we're already having Sean Lee at the starting strong side.. and already trying to limit his number of snaps and playsat his strong side LB role
- to have a better chance of stretching out his durability and overall playing time - having a limited amount of toll and wear at the strong side may have
played a big hand in him being able to surprisingly play out the entire virtually injury free and not even miss a game, but he was even able to fill in for injured LVE who
eventually went on IR.

Again, could that have been as a result of limiting his snaps at the SOLB role for more than the first half of the season.
And how can we rely on a 33 age LB with his durability to chance that again ?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
we're already having Sean Lee at the starting strong side.. and already trying to limit his number of snaps and playsat his strong side LB role

Which is a bad fit for him. Take note of his best games of 2019 - replacing LVE at weakside linebacker. Because that's who he is, a smart, instinctive, run and chase linebacker.

- to have a better chance of stretching out his durability and overall playing time - having a limited amount of toll and wear at the strong side may have
played a big hand in him being able to surprisingly play out the entire virtually injury free and not even miss a game, but he was even able to fill in for injured LVE who
eventually went on IR.

That's a good point.

Again, could that have been as a result of limiting his snaps at the SOLB role for more than the first half of the season.
And how can we rely on a 33 age LB with his durability to chance that again ?

We can't. Never could honestly.

But when they had three linebackers on the field, they had three on the field. When they could, it was Lee, Smith, Vander Esch. And when they go with three this year, I hope they're respectively at WLB, SLB, AND MLB respectively.