Cowboys starting RDE?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
1. Randy Gregory...... drug addiction, started one game in four years
2. Alton Smith............alcoholic, hasn't played since 2015
3. Tyrone Crawford....coming off surgery, IRed 2019, better DT?????
4. Dorance Armstrong.....2.5 sacks in two years
5. Joe Jackson...........?????

Still lots of questions and what-ifs

**Crawford is listed as the current starter until......
**Remember Gregory, Smith, and Crawford will be free agents after this year
**Gregory has started only 1 game in five years
**Alton Smith is one drink from???
**How much $$$$ are we willing to invest in a quality tier 2 free agent considering DLaw $20M per year at LDE? What if tier 2 players ( Clowney and/or Griffen ) are looking for multi-year deals?
**What if we draft DE at 17 and Smith and/or Gregory have career years. Long-term offers or let them walk?

My point, this position is far from being settled. I'm guessing we will still add one quality player via free agent or draft.

Side note: IMO this is why they haven't asked Crawford to take a pay-cut, his experience, and stability. Not to mention, we're not locked into his salary until after the first regular-season game. My guess is they will wait until they've settled on a starter sometime before the season starts to make a final decision on his pay-cut.

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/DAL

They may do so in the draft and while you are correct that we do not know how they may perform, the same could be said with drafting a rookie. Fact is out of the 5 you listed I would hope someone will step up and prove they can do the job.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Starter doesn't matter, it will be rotational based on situation.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That was the case under Marinelli.....less so under Mike Nolan.
It is the case for the entire NFL.

Crawford will be the DE in the 4-3 and he will not be the DE in nickel. Nolan isn't stupid enough to do that, and they wouldn't have signed Smith if the plan was to just have 4 starters. Every DL in the league rotates based on scenario.

quickccc

Reaction score
- Which is a bad fit for him. Take note of his best games of 2019 - replacing LVE at weakside linebacker. Because that's who he is, a smart, instinctive, run
and chase linebacker

- We can't. Never could honestly.

But when they had three linebackers on the field, they had three on the field. When they could, it was Lee, Smith, Vander Esch. And when they go with three this year, I hope they're respectively at WLB, SLB, AND MLB respectively.

i'm not getting what your point was with the last comment, as we know they are gonna want the two young LBs on the field at all times and they are considered the cornerstone foundation. (though i myself remain skeptical about Swipe long term wise) and you know what the reason for Lee at strong side - and the reason why they needed
to have him at a role that could emphasize limited snaps and toll.

He wasn't gonna be a backup even at a reduced dollar rate,jtyki and it was a huge key leading reason why we drafted his heir apparent ; LVE in 1st rd. as Lee needed to be replaced in starting lineup with much going thru those two LBs at middle and weak side.

With Damien Wilson departing in FA (and really needing to upgrade over him period as he was a liability in coverage)
...and there not only became an LB opening, but that became a perfect scenario where Lee could avoid less pounding.. maybe his coverage, and flow skills are
a better suit for weakside- but fact is we already have made planned set for a 2018 LVE to take over that role. for hopefully many teas to come. :cool:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If that's true then they would probably cut him before camp. I think they like what he can do when healthy as a high floor guy.

*If* healthy, he's probably still better than some of our downroster options. Comes down to roster spots and alternatives. Gregory, Aldon, and any draft picks.

One thing he has going for him is the potential of seeing him walk next year and getting a comp pick out of it.

DE - DLaw, Gregory, Smith, Armstrong, Jackson
DT - McCoy, Poe, Woods, Hill
Draft picks?

Interestingly, we have at least 2 years of rights for everyone *but* Crawford. Even if all those guys are healthy and eligible, he makes it today. But a draft pick bumps someone off. Could be him. Everyone available plus a 3T draft pick (my preference), I think he's fighting with Smith for a spot, although *maybe* they cut Jackson.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It is the case for the entire NFL.

Crawford will be the DE in the 4-3 and he will not be the DE in nickel. Nolan isn't stupid enough to do that, and they wouldn't have signed Smith if the plan was to just have 4 starters. Every DL in the league rotates based on scenario.

Smith is an option as the bigger RDE, and has a higher ceiling as a pass rusher. I don't think his signing has much implication on the number of "starters". Jerry loves a cheap, high ceiling.

I think we move toward a starter model and away from "rushment". DLaw plays more. Gregory plays more, if available. We've been a little weird about rotating a prime guy like DLaw so much. Gregory is another potential prime guy who you wouldn't want to rotate much.

Teams would rather pass on Crawford at RDE than Gregory. He can be exposed in the base defense. Crawford is more stout, but Gregory was a pretty good run defender and *not* a liability against the pass. All in all, in the rosy scenario of everyone healthy, it's probably just better to have Gregory on the field.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
*If* healthy, he's probably still better than some of our downroster options. Comes down to roster spots and alternatives. Gregory, Aldon, and any draft picks.

One thing he has going for him is the potential of seeing him walk next year and getting a comp pick out of it.

DE - DLaw, Gregory, Smith, Armstrong, Jackson
DT - McCoy, Poe, Woods, Hill
Draft picks?

Interestingly, we have at least 2 years of rights for everyone *but* Crawford. Even if all those guys are healthy and eligible, he makes it today. But a draft pick bumps someone off. Could be him. Everyone available plus a 3T draft pick (my preference), I think he's fighting with Smith for a spot, although *maybe* they cut Jackson.

I think he's a safe player. You know he isn't too 10 but he's a solid or more type guy, and good leader. If randy and Smith make this team it's likely Armstrong or Jackson are done. Right now is the time to have a lot of guys along the line as teams tend to lose some during TC. Maybe we use that depth or trade some away if need be.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think Aldon Smith will do very well if he keeps his head on straight.

Honestly, Aldon playing at a high level is the least of my concern. Aldon off the field is another story. But the good news is he has a strong support system in MM, DLine coach and his agent ( office in Dallas ). Not to mention a good group of defensive teammates will reach out.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Maybe. Quinn was a one-year rental and while we did draft two DEs, we did it pretty late in the draft. Of course, I think in the back of their minds, the Cowboys were always counting on Gregory's return.

We've got the one-year problem at corner and defensive end, so that might place both of those positions higher in priority. We've got the same situation at safety.

The Cowboys always seem to want to go into the draft without any absolute needs, but the execution of that idea is more difficult than the thought. Charlton was a need pick. LVE was a need pick. Hill was a need pick.

I think the need is stronger at corner and possibly at safety than DE because of the "potential" there with Gregory and Smith, which is why I think our first couple of picks will be in the secondary if all things are equal.

This draft is razor-thin for DBs worthy of 17th pick.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Smith is a 50/50 proposition. Articles say that he has gotten bigger since being out of football and that it's all muscle. That should help, I would think. Seriously, he got washed a lot in a traditional 43 at DE. His best years were, by far, as an off LB coming from different angles. He fits the Clay Matthews role well, and to be honest, that's what I thought when we signed him. So what does that mean? Are we going to use him as a standard 43 DE or are we going to stand him up and move him around a little bit? IDK.

Either way, It's a risk on a few different fronts. Can Smith stay sober in Dallas? Many have tried, many have failed. Can he return to form after such a long layoff? No way to know until he gets on the field. Can he stay healthy for a season? This is where I think we have the most risk. I don't think he can but you never know. I hope he can.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This draft is razor-thin for DBs worthy of 17th pick.

Does seem like from what I've read it's Okudah far above the rest, then Henderson somewhere around our pick and then a drop-off, although a few draft pundits seem to disagree with that and have one or two others around our range.

I think there are a couple of safeties rated around our pick as well (McKinney?).

If we take a DB it won't be because any of them fell to us, like is possible at other positions, but because the draft picks went as expected. If Kinlaw or a receiver is there, then it appears they will be the higher value (although NFL scouts might have them rated differently than the so-called experts).

kskboys

Reaction score
Thank you
Can I crow?

Not usually my MO, but I remember that thread where people were rating our D players, and most were putting Quinn as our 8th or 9th best D player. That appeared to be quite sillly to me, as I thought he'd be close to our best. Ahhhh, the wolves were nipping at my heels that day. I think like one or two people agreed w/ me!!! Funny stuff in retrospect.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Does seem like from what I've read it's Okudah far above the rest, then Henderson somewhere around our pick and then a drop-off, although a few draft pundits seem to disagree with that and have one or two others around our range.

I think there are a couple of safeties rated around our pick as well (McKinney?).

If we take a DB it won't be because any of them fell to us, like is possible at other positions, but because the draft picks went as expected. If Kinlaw or a receiver is there, then it appears they will be the higher value (although NFL scouts might have them rated differently than the so-called experts).

It's why I won't completely rule out WR but it's probably best we focus the highest 2/3 players left regardless of position.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
We don't need another RB.

True and from I've heard, I'd be shocked if they graded one as a top 17 player. Hell, I can see a G/center type before RB. BTW......have you or anyone heard how players are carrying hard 1st round grades. If I remember correctly, last year it was around 18-20.