Twitter: Cowboys still pursuing Thomas

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It will cost us a Comp 3rd to sign him next year as a FA

How will it cost us a 3rd rounder? They don't take our draft pick and hand it to Seattle.

I get it...you want ET. But don't make up nonsense.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I don't like it. The Cowboys are now amongst the youngest teams in the NFL. We will not compete this year. ET will not push us over the hump.

Doesn't matter. Longhorn fans are giddy about the idea of seeing ET in a Cowboys uniform.

They're the same people who thought the WR Roy Williams trade was a good idea. Hook 'em! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
No, it isn't.

They would get 1 year of Earl Thomas and a comp 3rd rd pick if he left. How is that worse than a "4th or less?"

I agree. But Thomas could become a distraction and hold out. That would be the only reason SEA might take less than his true market value.

Reaction score
How will it cost us a 3rd rounder? They don't take our draft pick and hand it to Seattle.

I think he is assuming that we would lose the comp pick we are likely to get next year for losing Hitchens, if we trade for and sign Thomas to a new big money deal. But Im not sure.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't like it. The Cowboys are now amongst the youngest teams in the NFL. We will not compete this year. ET will not push us over the hump.
So you don't make a move because "it doesn't put us over the top"? What kind of logic is that? What one move would put us over the top?

Reaction score
He's under contract though. That shouldn't have anything to do with our comp pick.

I agree, but I assume we would sign him to a new, long-term deal as part of the trade. Perhaps that would negate the comp pick. But I'm not sure if traded players who are signed to new deals factor into the formula.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I don't understand everyone's fascination with getting rid of Beasley all of a sudden. Is this some kind of grass is greener thing? Tavon Austin has been a monumental flop and he had arguably the best offensive coach in the NFL coaching him last year.

Not to mention all reports are we acquired him as a RB.
And Switzer is gone.

But hey let's just trade Beasley just because.
I was on board of getting rid of him because we had Switzer who was much cheaper.

Now, meh. Maybe it's that I just want a clean slate at WR. But I wouldn't hate it if he stayed.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Can you no read good and stuff

I said Comp Pick.......you know the ones we go for every FA season

If you sign a guy like EThomas you lose a comparable Comp pick for a guy like Irving or DLaw

408Cowboy

Reaction score

If we sign him next year it will negate any 3rd round comp we may receive from losing any of our free agents is what I believe he is saying.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Can you no read good and stuff

I said Comp Pick.......you know the ones we go for every FA season

If you sign a guy like EThomas you lose a comparable Comp pick for a guy like Irving or DLaw
You just beat me to it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think he is assuming that we would lose the comp pick we are likely to get next year for losing Hitchens, if we trade for and sign Thomas to a new big money deal. But Im not sure.
Not the Hitchens pick....that is this year

Next year would be DLaw or Irving or ZMartin

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I hope we can pull it off. Last year, we finally put together a defensive line that could get pressure and switched out our corners. This year, we may have completed our linebacking corps. It would be safety is the weak link that keeps the defense from stepping up a level ... or if we have to move Awusie or Jones there and weaken the corner group in order to have sufficient play.

The offense has been carrying the team for years before proving not capable enough on its own last year to get us to the playoffs. Considering we're changing out our receiving corps, including the starting tight end, we're probably going to need better defensive play to stand any kind of chance.