Cowboys to meet with DT Malik McDowell

Doomsday101

Reaction score
ESPN’s Todd Archer is reporting McDowell could be getting a second chance at a football career, scheduled to visit with the Cowboys on Tuesday.

Two years removed from the game and with his health a question mark, Dallas will likely insist on a thorough medical evaluation before moving forward with the defensive lineman.
https://seahawkswire.usatoday.com/2...sive-lineman-malik-mcdowell-to-visit-cowboys/

I would hope so

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bring us your druggies and injured we are here to accommodate.......

eromeopolk

Reaction score

McDowell suffered extensive brain and eye trauma from the accident and it's been clear from the beginning it was a long shot he'd ever play again, despite the young defenders claims to the contrary early amid the original chaos.

"My injury is not life or career threatening as some have speculated," McDowellreleased via statement in last July immediately following the incident. "I am grateful for the support I've received from the Seahawks organization, my doctors and my family. You will see me back on the field in the near future."

However, he came out of college a physical freak like David Irving (without the baby mama drama and marijuana). He was 6-6-285, 4.85 40yd, average acceleration in 20 yd shuttle, but good 10 yard split out of college.

Cowboys will sign him if healthy. They just don't grow players with his physical size and athleticism on trees.

However, he may also have Tyron Smith family issues. See article from MSU about release:
https://www.theonlycolors.com/2018/7/26/17618826/msu-malik-mcdowell-released-seahawks

speedkilz88

Reaction score
McDowell suffered extensive brain and eye trauma from the accident and it's been clear from the beginning it was a long shot he'd ever play again, despite the young defenders claims to the contrary early amid the original chaos.

"My injury is not life or career threatening as some have speculated," McDowellreleased via statement in last July immediately following the incident. "I am grateful for the support I've received from the Seahawks organization, my doctors and my family. You will see me back on the field in the near future."

However, he came out of college a physical freak like David Irving (without the baby mama drama and marijuana). He was 6-6-285, 4.85 40yd, average acceleration in 20 yd shuttle, but good 10 yard split out of college.

Cowboys will sign him if healthy. They just don't grow players with his physical size and athleticism on trees.

However, he may also have Tyron Smith family issues. See article from MSU about release:
https://www.theonlycolors.com/2018/7/26/17618826/msu-malik-mcdowell-released-seahawks
His mother was right, MSU has had issues with their players getting in trouble, not being disciplined. McDowell did as well. Had he went somewhere else and had a clean record he probably goes top five in the draft.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Let's see Geathers S, Berry S, Cobb WR, and McDowell DT all either have been for visits or are visiting now. If Dallas is serious about setting themselves up for the draft then I would expect them to sign at least a couple of guys this week possibly from the above four or others. We know they extended contracts offers to Cobb and Geathers and we know they obviously did not accept the offer.

Will Dallas actually up the offer, if they do then probably not by much because sure Stephen will hold the line. My guess is that Cobb WR, Geathers S and McDowell DT would be signed as they probably have the most upside and possibly the most help this season. I really like Berry but worry about his health and how much he can really play. McDowell is most interesting if healthy because he would solve the DT problem possibly for several years.

Know most do not care for these 2nd week signing as they are sexy or what we believe would be best but they do set up the draft as to not reaching especially in the first 3 or 4 rounds and staying with your board and allowing you to take a guy that might fall that really isn't a position of need. I just look at it this way, with Geathers at safety he probably starts over Heath and McDowell at DT rotates with Collins as the 3 tech, heck he might be the starter. Cobb at WR, gives you huge options at the WR position with what we already have.

I suspect that we either resign Smith at RB or bring in another big back and sign him by week's end. The draft should be interesting and allows for say a trade up if a guy they really value should fall to the top of second round.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Ah... the ole Stephen Jones special.
We be a loving some of them there "project types". down in the Big D.
Keeps our minds off that Texas heat when we is a focusing on Rehab projuects and such.

Side note.. not making fun of the redneck way,, after all, Im one too,, I was born there...:grin:

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
First question the Jones ask all potential players

" Are you cool ? "

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d sign him.

No guaranteed money. Make the team? Bonus. Play in 16 games? Bonus

I don’t think teams are knocking down his door to sign him. So we can likely get him for dirt cheap

Pay = NFL_Minimum + (games-played * 4M)/16

That's 4M over the min if he plays all 16 games but only 250K over minimum if he plays 1 game.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Never underestimate the incompetence of our FO.
really you fans that somehow keep mocking this ownership group still forget one ,they won more sbs in the last 30years then the first ownership did in the same time frame regardless of Drought we are in..

two -the last 10years the DC are ranked 5/6 in Win-Loss record in regular season..go check the list out this is the entire 32 guys we win games we are not mediocre losers or incompetent just because they dont make everyone happy with payers and trades doesnt make them laughing stock..i know we have been stuck on round 2 exits but jeez louise for actual fans to eb mocking team that at least VERY Competitive over the last 10years, won 3 of the last 5 division championships, you might want to expand your vocabulary and use much more relevant words to describe the Cowboys..mediocre and incompetent would have us hovering around or below .500 and 92-68 says otherwise..again I know the replies will be our standarsds are higher and no SB appearances in 30 yrs blah blah blah.. agree we are all grown im[patient to at least reach the NFCCG but stop the BS putting us in the realm of mediocre.,.we are NOT..

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/every-nfl-teams-10-year-record-ranked-32-1-010417

being this high in wins the last 10years and at least making the playoffs and given the fact that we have turned 75% of thhis roster over since 2016 , you guys sure have a low pionion of the team you supposedly root for..

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
really you fans that somehow keep mocking this ownership group still forget one ,they won more sbs in the last 30years then the first ownership did in the same time frame regardless of Drought we are in..

two -the last 10years the DC are ranked 5/6 in Win-Loss record in regular season..go check the list out this is the entire 32 guys we win games we are not mediocre losers or incompetent just because they dont make everyone happy with payers and trades doesnt make them laughing stock..i know we have been stuck on round 2 exits but jeez louise for actual fans to eb mocking team that at least VERY Competitive over the last 10years, won 3 of the last 5 division championships, you might want to expand your vocabulary and use much more relevant words to describe the Cowboys..mediocre and incompetent would have us hovering around or below .500 and 92-68 says otherwise..again I know the replies will be our standarsds are higher and no SB appearances in 30 yrs blah blah blah.. agree we are all grown im[patient to at least reach the NFCCG but stop the BS putting us in the realm of mediocre.,.we are NOT..

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/every-nfl-teams-10-year-record-ranked-32-1-010417

being this high in wins the last 10years and at least making the playoffs and given the fact that we have turned 75% of thhis roster over since 2016 , you guys sure have a low pionion of the team you supposedly root for..
You can praise them if you want to but I prefer to see them for what they currently are not what they were for a few years when Jimmy built the team that caused Jerry's ego to explode into thinking he built the team and not Jimmy.......Jerry has been trying to prove for the last 25 years that it was him and not Jimmy that deserved the credit......other than occasional good season every once in awhile.....his playoff record screams ultimate fail.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You can praise them if you want to but I prefer to see them for what they currently are not what they were for a few years when Jimmy built the team that caused Jerry's ego to explode into thinking he built the team and not Jimmy.......Jerry has been trying to prove for the last 25 years that it was him and not Jimmy that deserved the credit......other than occasional good season every once in awhile.....his playoff record screams ultimate fail.
missed the point and im not content NOR praising them, its a fact when you or other fans use words like Mediocrity and or incompetent etc they are dead wrong..its all facts in black and white again we may be short of where we all want to go but the record of wins being top 6 for a decade saus we are in fact successful just not getting over the proverbial hump in a SB appearance etc.. I get that but we arent the bottom feeder loser organizations no matter how you want to look at it..its insane how some of you view this team and organization..

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Okay, this one gets a :huh::huh::huh: from me.

Covington and Hyder made sense. McDowell was hurt so bad from his accident I doubt he's even cleared to play yet, no??

Worth a training camp invitation. He was a late first round level talent when he was drafted.. And he's only 22 years old. If he's fully recovered from his accident, he would be like getting the first round pick that was traded for Cooper back.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Worth a training camp invitation. He was a late first round level talent when he was drafted.. And he's only 22 years old. If he's fully recovered from his accident, he would be like getting the first round pick that was traded for Cooper back.
I would think if he was fully recovered...Seattle wouldn't have cut him. We shall see.