Twitter: Cowboys to meet with T Cameron Fleming

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Well, this is a small somewhat exciting tidbit of news in an otherwise boring Dallas FA.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Are you kidding me this is great. I want Collins as far away from the edge as possible he was trash. Yeah I said it. He was mediocre at tackle. Put him inside to hide his flaws.

Uh-oh, now you did it ........ saying La’el didn’t do great at RT. True, but not nice.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
when collins came to cowboys, free was the senior statesman who may have gotten a priority over collins.
lord knows, we kept free for a year or two too much because he was some type of ol leader despite.
if fleming was a decent starter, i would suspect patriots would have tried keeping him the year before.

collins was lt in college and most expected to him as a rt, not g.
that means he has certain measurables that fleming probably lacks.
my guess is his agility which you need for ot play.

But, and there's that BIG word again, BUT it was not me saying Collins was better suited as a guard in the NFL, it was actual NFL coaches that determined that. So those same coaches played Collins at guard all through training camp. Oh BTW the thing that was said about Collns when they tried him at RT was his footwork wasn't what a tackle needs in the NFL. As far as your assertion that in 2015 Free was just there as a "senior statesman" and was kept to long, well in 2014 Free was rated as the 7th best RT in the league. The Cowboys didn't know for sure how Free was going to be coming back so they were trying Collins there in OTA's and mini camp to see but determined that he was better suited as a G in the NFL. Now as far as measureables between Flemming and Collins, Flemming has played tackle his entire pro career and Collins has ONE season that took until week 13 or 14 before he was playing good enough to actually be called a starting RT. Collins is not the 1st nor will he be the last COLLEGE tackle that ended up playing guard in the NFL.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...nside-of-NFLs-top-10-at-right-tackle-37612092

waldoputty

Reaction score
But, and there's that BIG word again, BUT it was not me saying Collins was better suited as a guard in the NFL, it was actual NFL coaches that determined that. So those same coaches played Collins at guard all through training camp. Oh BTW the thing that was said about Collns when they tried him at RT was his footwork wasn't what a tackle needs in the NFL. As far as your assertion that in 2015 Free was just there as a "senior statesman" and was kept to long, well in 2014 Free was rated as the 7th best RT in the league. The Cowboys didn't know for sure how Free was going to be coming back so they were trying Collins there in OTA's and mini camp to see but determined that he was better suited as a G in the NFL. Now as far as measureables between Flemming and Collins, Flemming has played tackle his entire pro career and Collins has ONE season that took until week 13 or 14 before he was playing good enough to actually be called a starting RT. Collins is not the 1st nor will he be the last COLLEGE tackle that ended up playing guard in the NFL.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...nside-of-NFLs-top-10-at-right-tackle-37612092

free was a turnstile his last 2 years.
collins was a lt, not rt in college.
he had trouble with the footwork going in the other direction as a rookie.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Don’t want to see Collins moved
He was paid to be a tackle and developed well as season went on
Sign Fleming as the swing tackle
Sign the guard they have looked at. He can also play center
Then draft and develope a LG
I don’t think you can or have to have elite talent at left guard with an elite center next to him
Cooper played ok and he’s never been that good

Collins best year as a pro by a long shot was when he played RG. Move him back to LG to hide his weakness of not playing well outside in space.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
free was a turnstile his last 2 years.
collins was a lt, not rt in college.
he had trouble with the footwork going in the other direction as a rookie.

Here's a little FACT for you then. Free graded out as the Cowboys best lineman for 2009 and in the off season before the 2010 season Flozell Adams was released and the Cowboys decided to move Free to LT. Everyone thought this to be a promotion, to protect Romo's backside. The thing is though Free never played on the left side at any time in his high school, college or pro career. So his footwork was a mess and in 2011 draft the Cowboys drafted Smith and put Free back to the right side where he again struggled for the 2011 season but starting in 2012 he was back to the same Free prior to the move to the left side. Again Collins was tried there once and the coaches deemed him to be a guard in the NFL where he has had his best season by a long shot as a pro.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Here's a little FACT for you then. Free graded out as the Cowboys best lineman for 2009 and in the off season before the 2010 season Flozell Adams was released and the Cowboys decided to move Free to LT. Everyone thought this to be a promotion, to protect Romo's backside. The thing is though Free never played on the left side at any time in his high school, college or pro career. So his footwork was a mess and in 2011 draft the Cowboys drafted Smith and put Free back to the right side where he again struggled for the 2011 season but starting in 2012 he was back to the same Free prior to the move to the left side. Again Collins was tried there once and the coaches deemed him to be a guard in the NFL where he has had his best season by a long shot as a pro.

gee, many, like me, watch his play improved last year as he got reps in rt.
now people want to move him again?
and you want to use the patriots' 3rd string rt as the starting rt?

diefree666

Reaction score
some people are really dense. Playing guard vs playing tackle takes a very different playing STYLE. You do not go back and forth. AND by the way who cares about Free NOW? 2009 or whatever; by 2015 he was going downhill and frankly should have been replaced by the end of THAT season. 2016 he had the third most pressures and sacks allowed OF ANY TACKLE IN THE NFL. We waited one year too long to get rid of him. AND also Our O line in 2009 was going downhill real fast so being the best of that bunch MEANS NOTHING.

Collins did struggle early on BUT by the end of the season was playing QUITE well. You are both blind and dense. He can be a Pro Bowl RT if he keeps improving at the current rate.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
gee, many, like me, watch his play improved last year as he got reps in rt.
now people want to move him again?
and you want to use the patriots' 3rd string rt as the starting rt?

If Free was so bad the last couple years he was here and Collins couldn't beat him out it doesn't say much about Collins. I'm not speaking for anyone else but Collin's best year as a pro was the season he played RG so moving him back to where he played his best makes perfect sense to me. Now if Flemming can win the starting job IF signed or maybe Green who played tackle his entire career except for the experiment last season at guard. or drafting a LT, but send Collins back to where he played his best ALL SEASON and not just the last 3 or 4 weeks of slightly better than average.

waldoputty

Reaction score
If Free was so bad the last couple years he was here and Collins couldn't beat him out it doesn't say much about Collins. I'm not speaking for anyone else but Collin's best year as a pro was the season he played RG so moving him back to where he played his best makes perfect sense to me. Now if Flemming can win the starting job IF signed or maybe Green who played tackle his entire career except for the experiment last season at guard. or drafting a LT, but send Collins back to where he played his best ALL SEASON and not just the last 3 or 4 weeks of slightly better than average.

keep talking about free.
do you watch the games?
collins got better and better as last year went by.
now you are talking maybe green?
you have got to be kidding

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
some people are really dense. Playing guard vs playing tackle takes a very different playing STYLE. You do not go back and forth. AND by the way who cares about Free NOW? 2009 or whatever; by 2015 he was going downhill and frankly should have been replaced by the end of THAT season. 2016 he had the third most pressures and sacks allowed OF ANY TACKLE IN THE NFL. We waited one year too long to get rid of him. AND also Our O line in 2009 was going downhill real fast so being the best of that bunch MEANS NOTHING.

Collins did struggle early on BUT by the end of the season was playing QUITE well. You are both blind and dense. He can be a Pro Bowl RT if he keeps improving at the current rate.

Playing slightly better than average for the last 3 or 4 weeks does not constitute playing quite well at the end of the season. it only means he wasn't playing as bad as he did for most of the season. Also if Free was doing that bad in 2015 why didn't Collins beat him out? 2016 everyone but maybe you remembers that Free played with a couple of injuries his last season, one was a sore back like Smith now and yet the Cowboys felt even at that he was their best option at RT INCLUDING Collins. As far as that downhill 2009 offensive line, it ranked 10th in the league so there were 22 teams ranked lower and not the poor line you're trying to paint. No they were as good as the 2016 line but they were far from the worse too.

Talk about being dense - Collins best year for the entire year as a pro by a LONG SHOT was the year he played RG. Again he's not the 1st nor will he be the last player that played tackle in college but was really a guard in the NFL. Get over it he's not the All Pro LT now or ever that you think he will be. He could be a pro bowler some day at LG with smith on one side of him and Freddy on the other side.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
keep talking about free.
do you watch the games?
collins got better and better as last year went by.
now you are talking maybe green?
you have got to be kidding

Ya Green who has played his entire career at tackle except the experiment of last season over Collins who as a pro has played a single season and then only the last 3 or 4 weeks at slightly better than average. Ya that's real funny.

fansince68

Reaction score
It's funny that last season when Smith did go down Collins wasn't moved to LT but now he's a consideration?
I'm told that playing LT is nothing like playing RT. Most cannot make the transition. The techniques and responsibilities are totally different. Guards on the other hand, can flip flop easily in a zone blocking scheme.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm told that playing LT is nothing like playing RT. Most cannot make the transition. The techniques and responsibilities are totally different. Guards on the other hand, can flip flop easily in a zone blocking scheme.

That is true and that's why I was questioning whoever it was that was suggesting that now Collins would just switch sides if Smith went down. The reason guards can switch sides is they have help on both sides of them where a tackle on only one side so their footwork has to be right on and they have to be able to play in space on both sides.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
It *would* make a bit of sense, if Fleming has played guard and can play it well, for him to be the LG and also the backup LT. That way, the footwork is a bit similar, as opposed to him playing RT and swapping to LT in case of injury.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Ya Green who has played his entire career at tackle except the experiment of last season over Collins who as a pro has played a single season and then only the last 3 or 4 weeks at slightly better than average. Ya that's real funny.

ok, you are talking green again...
yes, that is funny.

in comparison, collins played lt in college, and he was able to switch to rt in one year.