Twitter: Cowboys to sign OL Marcus Martin

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You don't think we will see turnover on the OL, aside form the loss of Cooper?
What really is there to "turn over"? Cooper's starting job is the only one in danger. Plug Fleming in at LG or RT, you have your starting five.

Dallas typically only carries eight linemen. Green, Bell and Looney were the depth group last year. That could be replaced by Green and Martin for now. That is 2/3rds of the way complete. Not optimal the way I would like it, but they could be figuring they are almost done and just look for one more position flex lineman in the draft.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I don't see why they can't sign Looney as well. He's a quality backup at G and C and shouldn't cost much. Marcus Martin might end up taking that same backup spot but he does have potential to start.
Possible, but I would think it would be easier for Dallas to use a late round pick on a G/C type, and develop him.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
If we could score a safety before the draft we would be set up for the draft. Just keep JJ away from the booze until the 6th round. Lol. No gambles with our 2nd rounder. With signing Hurns I wonder if we take Ridley if he falls to us now. We may take BPA at position of need. Would love to see us get a big nasty DT to push the middle but we never do. Another descent FA signing and we are in the cat bird seat. We are improving this year.

Yep, SJ made that commitment last year as far as the second round, they would avoid risk players there. I hope that holds true for 2018 draft too.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
What really is there to "turn over"? Cooper's starting job is the only one in danger. Plug Fleming in at LG or RT, you have your starting five.

Dallas typically only carries eight linemen. Green, Bell and Looney were the depth group last year. That could be replaced by Green and Martin for now. That is 2/3rds of the way complete. Not optimal the way I would like it, but they could be figuring they are almost done and just look for one more position flex lineman in the draft.

That's what some hope for so we look at a DT with the first pick. They prefer moving Collins back to LG and use Flemming at RT so we don't use the 19'th pick on a G. Me, I'll fall in behind the person who should be the expert on this, Alexander the O-line coordinator. I would be totally in at a G like Hernandez with pick 19 and leaving Collins at RT with Flemming as our swinger. Will be interesting to see if he's paid as a swinger or as a starter. Hey, maybe we'll change our stance on DT 1 as a top pick, the mindset does seem to be changing a bit. I won't be surprised either way nor will I be surprised if we go G with pick #19

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Possible, but I would think it would be easier for Dallas to use a late round pick on a G/C type, and develop him.
But what happens if there is an injury? the rookie doesn't look ready or good at all? Having Looney would still protect them. His previous contract was vet minimum type stuff with a $100K signing bonus. I think $100K for an insurance policy is worth it.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Manwiththeplan said:
The Cowboys are likely to only keep 9 linemen, maybe even 8. So right now it's

TSmith
LCollins
TFrederick-MMartin
ZMartin
CFleming

Hopefully we still go out and sign a cheap OT, since I assume CFleming will switch to LOT when TSmith misses time. I'd rather LCollins stay at guard, for continuity's sake, and a vet like Sam Young can fill in at ROT. That would leave 2 spots, which hopefully would go towards developmental guys that could become starters down the road.
I know he's not liked much around here, but isn't Chaz Green still on the roster, or did he get cut?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

I think they draft an OG early

That leaves Tron- Green- TFred- ZMartin- LCollins
.............................Draft............Martin................Fleming

diefree666

Reaction score

you just do not take a tackle and 'plug' him in at guard. Some can do it and some can not.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Broaddus claimed they almost re-signed Looney yesterday because it looked like Martin wasn't going to sign. Makes sense to me to take Looney to camp if he's still cheap. His previous contract was only 2 yrs $1.675 including $100K SB. Martin winning the starting job or an injury happens, then we're wishing Looney was still around to backup.
UNLESS HE CAN PLAY SWING TACKLE...I DUNNO

Rayman70

Reaction score
Broaddus claimed they almost re-signed Looney yesterday because it looked like Martin wasn't going to sign. Makes sense to me to take Looney to camp if he's still cheap. His previous contract was only 2 yrs $1.675 including $100K SB. Martin winning the starting job or an injury happens, then we're wishing Looney was still around to backup.
BTW...Don't listen to Broaddus. If we've learned ANYTHING,its go with the opposite scenario when Broaddus says something.He's almost batting 1,000 on being wrong. That's why he's no longer a scout...he's not very good.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
They can, but it's nice to know that they don't have to, at least not early. Now they have the luxury of choosing the best player available. And if that happens to be a stud guard? That's great.
If 4 QBs come off the board, and I believe they will 1234.. possibly 5 before 19, I believe Ridley will be the swing factor.
Meaning that Hernandez and Vea will be the push , might be available there.

cowboyec

Reaction score
if Collins isnt on the move,OG is now in play again at 19.
unless Fleming can do it.
Martin an excellent signing....but for depth.
Let Martin duke it out with Hernandez in camp...winner take all.
LOVE these moves.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
While the board is asleep...
.... Dallas's front office isn't/wasn't.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Either Broaddus is woeful at talent evals...or he is throwing the scent off on purpose...

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would hope this signing does not preclude the team from ignoring the obvious value of the interior OL in this draft.

There is value all the way into the third round, much like the DB class last year.

He is not the caliber of player that makes you check off his position/role off your wish list. If he is, you really overvalued his abilities.
I dont think it would. We took Green in the 3rd at the height of our OL dominance. You should always plan on moving on from FA's you sign when the guarenteed money is gone.