Twitter: Cowboys to sign OL Marcus Martin

Rayman70

Reaction score
Me thinks Bryan Broaddus is playin possum a bit when talkin about free agency and who HE LIKES etc...

gmoney112

Reaction score
I heard that same thing from Broaddus during his recent Periscope segment.

With a signing like this, it makes me wonder now whether or not they have any plans to move Collins back to guard and start Fleming at right tackle.

They may feel that Martin can play the left guard position and Collins will stay at right tackle, and Fleming would be the upgrade at swing tackle that the team needed.

I've been trying to figure that out.

Like you said, or, they move Collins back to LG to get the 5 best with Fleming at RT. In case Tyron misses time, or Fleming, they can kick Collins back out to RT and use Martin at LG.

I'm not usually a fan of OL carousels like that, but I honestly feel pretty good about Collins, and this is the NFL so sometimes the best fix isn't really the most optimal.

Then you have Chaz Green who is a complete unknown. I mean, hopefully he gets back on track a bit if he can concentrate on one position this offseason. I wouldn't count on it, and he has an injury history, but this is his "contract" year so if he steps up you might be able to get a game or two out of him at RT in case Fleming needs to switch or miss time. Could just leave Collins at LG which would be nice.

It's like a game of musical chairs at this point. I'd still be tempted to take a G/T if he's BPA in the middle rounds. Overkill maybe, but Green is gone next year and Fleming is basically a rental.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

With a signing like this, it makes me wonder now whether or not they have any plans to move Collins back to guard and start Fleming at right tackle.

They may feel that Martin can play the left guard position and Collins will stay at right tackle, and Fleming would be the upgrade at swing tackle that the team needed.
Martin played Center in college.

I think that's a big part of why they are specifically interested in him. Looney is unsigned.

RandyOh

Reaction score
BTW...Don't listen to Broaddus. If we've learned ANYTHING,its go with the opposite scenario when Broaddus says something.He's almost batting 1,000 on being wrong. That's why he's no longer a scout...he's not very good.
Broaddus was an O-line scout. His evaluations on olinemen is the only thing I don’t just instantly disregard. It’s when he try’s to tell us what the team is going to do like he was in the room with Jerry, Stephen, and McClay discussing is when you should ignore him.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Martin winning the starting job or an injury happens, then we're wishing Looney was still around to backup.

I'm gonna be more surprised if he makes the roster than anything else. The guy was rated one of the worst interior lineman in football last year.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Martin played Center in college.

I think that's a big part of why they are specifically interested in him. Looney is unsigned.

Gotta be able to step in at C or G nowadays if you're backup level talent and still want a job

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
2016 -- my mistake.

27.3 PFF grade :thumbdown:

Ogletree was the 76th of 78 graded ILBs in 2017 and the giants made him the second highest paid ILB behind keuchly.

As long as we don’t pay him what Zach is worth, I have no issue with a depth signing.

robbieruff

Reaction score

That seems like a good initial take on the signings. I think we let La’el develop at RT still and Fleming means Chaz Green/Byron Bell experiments are likely done. Feeling better about oline depth at this point but would like to see someone taken in later rounds for PS development.

sideon

Reaction score
It allows us to go BPA.
If that's defense then fine, but only if the guy is a better player.
Martin isn't that good a player to stop you picking OL
I never wanted OL unless all the good defensive players were off the board.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Don’t want to be greedy but a MLB would go from a B to an A+

Run down thumper coming. No rush. Can probably get that kind of guy in the draft.

I like the move of Jaylon to SLB. Saves wear and tear on him, puts the wear and tear on the disposable 50% player.

kumizi

Reaction score
If any of Roquan, Edmunds, Derwin are available, Cowboys will run up to the podium.

Total guess but LB is the most obvious need and with reports they like LVE, he is the most likely pick.

If LVE and the 3 studs are gone at 19, then I think it’s decision time for the Cowboys between Evans, WR, Guard.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Well, if that's the case, I'd say that Fleming is the swing tackle and as I type this, that Marcus Martin is the current starting left guard.

Those would be my assumptions based on that information about Collins anyway.

I would think based on what Jones said that all options are on the table at this point, even the possibility that Fleming is the starting guard. I know that some hate the idea of position flex, but I'm OK with it as long as we figure out fairly quickly who our five-best linemen are and let them settle into their positions.