Twitter: Cowboys to sign OL Marcus Martin

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
he did not play a single down last year.
Yeah, so about that... are any of these Twitter scouts addressing why this guy couldn’t get off the bench for the 2nd winless team in the history of the NFL? And a few people here say he’s potentially a starter? There’s got be something I don’t know... :huh:

cowboyec

Reaction score
Yeah, so about that... are any of these Twitter scouts addressing why this guy couldn’t get off the bench for the 2nd winless team in the history of the NFL? And a few people here say he’s potentially a starter? There’s got be something I don’t know... :huh:
the mojo Paul Alexander brings.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Few nuggets from his early entrance to NFL......

49ers third-round C Marcus Martin will see time at guard during OTAs.

Martin played his freshman and sophomore years at left guard for USC before taking over at center in 2013. The 49ers view him as capable of playing multiple positions on the interior line. Martin should compete with Daniel Kilgore for the starting center job, while providing depth at both guard spots.

Source: 49ers.com
Fri, May 23, 2014 07:32:00 PM
Marcus Martin - C - Free Agent
49ers selected USC C Marcus Martin with the No. 70 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.

Martin was the last player left in the green room, so the 49ers stopped his mini slide. Martin (6-foot-3 3/8, 320) made 33 starts for the Trojans, spending his freshman and sophomore years at left guard before manning center in 2013. He was this year's consensus top-rated center, but could excel at either guard spot with 34-inch arms. Only 20 years old, Martin is a wide-bodied, multi-position interior prospect with true mauler upside once he fully grows into his frame. He'll compete with Daniel Kilgore for center duties this summer.

Fri, May 9, 2014 09:54:00 PM
The New Orleans Times-Picayune believes it would be a "no-brainer" for the Saints to select USC C Marcus Martin at No. 58 overall, if he's available.

After losing Brian de la Puente to the Bears in free agency, the Saints have a gaping hole in the middle of their line that currently has Tim Lelito penciled in at center. Martin is viewed as the top center in the draft and can also play guard. Our own Evan Silva has Martin going to the Saints in his day two mock draft.
Related: Saints

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune
Fri, May 9, 2014 12:48:00 PM
USC C Marcus Martin measured 6-foot-3 3/8 and 320 pounds at Thursday's NFL Combine weigh-in.

He has 34-inch arms, giving Martin the ability to play either guard position in addition to pivot. Martin is considered the favorite to be the first college center selected in May's draft, and position versatility can only help his stock. Colorado State C Weston Richburg is also currently a hot prospect on the interior.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter
Thu, Feb 20, 2014 03:45:00 PM

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If 4 QBs come off the board, and I believe they will 1234.. possibly 5 before 19, I believe Ridley will be the swing factor.
Meaning that Hernandez and Vea will be the push , might be available there.

I'd be all over Vea there, even though I love Hernandez.

I'd love a scenario where they nab Vea and could somehow trade back into the end of the round and get Hernandez too. Wishful thinking.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Martin played Center in college.

I think that's a big part of why they are specifically interested in him. Looney is unsigned.

It's now sounding like they're signing both guys.

Martin also played some left guard and I think he'll get a shot at starting there with the Cowboys.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I'd be all over Vea there, even though I love Hernandez.

I'd love a scenario where they nab Vea and could somehow trade back into the end of the round and get Hernandez too. Wishful thinking.
tumblr_na23ncxQGK1s43l46o1_500.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would think based on what Jones said that all options are on the table at this point, even the possibility that Fleming is the starting guard. I know that some hate the idea of position flex, but I'm OK with it as long as we figure out fairly quickly who our five-best linemen are and let them settle into their positions.

I don't hate position flex, I hate "dumb position flex". I feel the Cowboys made terrible decisions with the players they decided to flex last year.

Byron Bell was a good guard, decent right tackle, and terrible left tackle. Where did Dallas play him? You guessed it!

Chaz Green is a finesse tackle who gets hurt a lot. What did the Cowboys do with him? Move them inside to play in the phone booth at guard.

There's smart position flex when players are up to it, and there's dumb position flex like we got last year.

I don't want to see those mistakes repeated.

Corso

Reaction score
It's now sounding like they're signing both guys.

Martin also played some left guard and I think he'll get a shot at starting there with the Cowboys.
I'm a little OY VEY about this stash... What are you thinking?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

About Martin being the possible replacement starter at left guard?

I'm coming around a bit after looking at him some more and reading his scouting reports. Hearing any comparisons to Leary is a plus for me as well.

From his tape, he's a big guy who won't get pushed backwards. I like that. And he's also young enough to still be moldable. He looks like an Alexander pick to me, similar to his Bengals linemen. I think that these new position coaches are getting a lot of say in who they want. Now I wonder if and when Kris Richard gets his?

Corso

Reaction score
About Martin being the possible replacement starter at left guard?

I'm coming around a bit after looking at him some more and reading his scouting reports. Hearing any comparisons to Leary is a plus for me as well.

From his tape, he's a big guy who won't get pushed backwards. I like that. And he's also young enough to still be moldable. He looks like an Alexander pick to me, similar to his Bengals linemen. I think that these new position coaches are getting a lot of say in who they want. Now I wonder if and when Kris Richard gets his?
Thank you buddy!

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
If any of Roquan, Edmunds, Derwin are available, Cowboys will run up to the podium.

Total guess but LB is the most obvious need and with reports they like LVE, he is the most likely pick.

If LVE and the 3 studs are gone at 19, then I think it’s decision time for the Cowboys between Evans, WR, Guard.

Who is LVE?

Sorry, but Beast has not really got into the draft prospects yet...............any info on the guy would be appreciated:grin:

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I asked a couple of Browns people I know (shudder) about why this guy was a healthy scratch for every single game on an 0-16 team and they said that even though he can play some center he was viewed by the Browns as a guard... and the Browns have relatively young high draft pick guards who literally played every snap. So while the guy may still be as bad as 49er fans are saying, at least there is no serious red flag from last year (besides rust).

Corso

Reaction score
I decided... Two more hours and I'm going there. No more need for a useful Corso for the rest of the day.
I mean, we're going to hit the grocery store tonight (wife is cleaner than spring water), but I do enjoy wandering the aisles in the midst of a darn good trip.

Corso

Reaction score
I asked a couple of Browns people I know (shudder) about why this guy was a healthy scratch for every single game on an 0-16 team and they said that even though he can play some center he was viewed by the Browns as a guard... and the Browns have relatively young high draft pick guards who literally played every snap. So while the guy may still be as bad as 49er fans are saying, at least there is no serious red flag from last year (besides rust).
That's legit. Mucho appreciatado!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thanks for that insight, much appreciated.

That's actually what I figured, if there was one position that the Brown invested heavily in, it was guard. They re-upped their own guard I believe with a big deal, and then went out and made Zeitler the highest paid guard in the league (at that time).

I wouldn't consider it a knock if Martin couldn't displace investments like that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I decided... Two more hours and I'm going there. No more need for a useful Corso for the rest of the day.
I mean, we're going to hit the grocery store tonight (wife is cleaner than spring water), but I do enjoy wandering the aisles in the midst of a darn good trip.

Just stay out of the snack aisle!
:laugh: