Twitter: Cowboys to sign OL Marcus Martin

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
What up my man Corso, hows it hanging?

Beast spends his weekends like he spends his weekdays, pumping iron:thumbup:

You don't get the body of a Greek God by accident;)
Two inches.

From the floor!!!

Ha hah hah hahhahahahahahah haaaaa hahahahahahahah!

That sucked...

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Yeah, so about that... are any of these Twitter scouts addressing why this guy couldn’t get off the bench for the 2nd winless team in the history of the NFL? And a few people here say he’s potentially a starter? There’s got be something I don’t know... :huh:
I agree this dude won't be a starter, in fact if we were to select a guard early in this draft, this guy will be hanging by a string to make the team. nevertheless, we need OG depth in a big way. best case scenario this guy sticks in a backup OG/C role. if he shows something in camp.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boy, looking at Martin's college tape is night and day from his pro tape. Looks solid at USC and like a clueless clown at San Francisco.

:omg:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I don't hate position flex, I hate "dumb position flex". I feel the Cowboys made terrible decisions with the players they decided to flex last year.

Byron Bell was a good guard, decent right tackle, and terrible left tackle. Where did Dallas play him? You guessed it!

Chaz Green is a finesse tackle who gets hurt a lot. What did the Cowboys do with him? Move them inside to play in the phone booth at guard.

There's smart position flex when players are up to it, and there's dumb position flex like we got last year.

I don't want to see those mistakes repeated.

That's going to be the question with these signings. We know Collins can play either guard or tackle. I'm not sure about Fleming, and I don't know if Marcus Martin is anything more than a backup.

Fleming as a guard is a projection so right now I lean toward him playing tackle and Collins moving to guard. However, Collins is a better tackle than Fleming so it's possible we have plans to see what Fleming can do inside. He has the size and strength for it. It's also possible we see Martin as a starter, but that's seems like it's a more risky move.

Wood

Reaction score
That's going to be the question with these signings. We know Collins can play either guard or tackle. I'm not sure about Fleming, and I don't know if Marcus Martin is anything more than a backup.

Fleming as a guard is a projection so right now I lean toward him playing tackle and Collins moving to guard. However, Collins is a better tackle than Fleming so it's possible we have plans to see what Fleming can do inside. He has the size and strength for it. It's also possible we see Martin as a starter, but that's seems like it's a more risky move.

If I am Collins and Dallas tries moving me back to guard, I am only phone with my agent demanding trade. Thats borderline incompetent to move a OL around that often early in their development. If you ever saw Collins in person (saw his in camp last year) you would know he is not a guard. Too tall and has thin ankles. Tackle all the way.

gimmesix

Reaction score
If I am Collins and Dallas tries moving me back to guard, I am only phone with my agent demanding trade. Thats borderline incompetent to move a OL around that often early in their development. If you ever saw Collins in person (saw his in camp last year) you would know he is not a guard. Too tall and has thin ankles. Tackle all the way.

I think as long as Collins gets paid millions upon millions, he's not going to care where he starts. I would rather keep him at tackle, but it's possible him at guard and Fleming at tackle will be better for the team then him at tackle and either Fleming or M. Martin at guard.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think as long as Collins gets paid millions upon millions, he's not going to care where he starts. I would rather keep him at tackle, but it's possible him at guard and Fleming at tackle will be better for the team then him at tackle and either Fleming or M. Martin at guard.
Last year he was glad to move to tackle and said that he felt that he was always one. So far the word has been that there are no plans to move him back to G.

gimmesix

Reaction score
only problem with that is they are resigning Looney which means they see Martin as starter. Which is not good news for that OL.

Didn't expect that after this signing, but we normally carry at least eight linemen, so it could simply be a case of trying to make sure we don't run into a situation like last year where neither Bell nor Green was good enough. Now Looney and Martin are both clearly interior players, but even if Fleming ended up at guard or Collins did, they could be flexed out to tackle if there was an injury.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Last year he was glad to move to tackle and said that he felt that he was always one. So far the word has been that there are no plans to move him back to G.

The only word we've gotten officially was from Stephen Jones, who said they were looking for a fifth starter and essentially that they'd figure out the positions based on who they get.

Wood

Reaction score

you weaken two spots on your line by moving Collins to guard and Fleming to tackle. Right now Dallas only has one glaring hole at LG. Use resources (FA, Trade, Draft picks) to fix that spot only. Then move on.

gimmesix

Reaction score
you weaken two spots on your line by moving Collins to guard and Fleming to tackle. Right now Dallas only has one glaring hole at LG. Use resources (FA, Trade, Draft picks) to fix that spot only. Then move on.

If Collins at guard and Fleming at tackle is better than Fleming/Martin at guard and Collins at tackle, then no, you don't weaken two spots. You put your best five out there, however that lines up.

Would you rather leave Collins at tackle if both Fleming and Martin are weak guards? Now, I think it's likely that between Fleming and Martin we find a good enough guard that allows us to not move Collins, but we don't know that.

Wood

Reaction score
If Collins at guard and Fleming at tackle is better than Fleming/Martin at guard and Collins at tackle, then no, you don't weaken two spots. You put your best five out there, however that lines up.

Would you rather leave Collins at tackle if both Fleming and Martin are weak guards? Now, I think it's likely that between Fleming and Martin we find a good enough guard that allows us to not move Collins, but we don't know that.

First Fleming isnt really starting OL. He gave up 4 sacks in 6 games when he started. He is more of a back-up swing tackle. The problem is Cowboys don't have money to make real noise in FA and are accumulating back-up FAs which are confusing the fan base which is desperately grasping for anything that resembles progress. All Dallas needs to do is keep line as is and add LG thru draft or trade. OL tend to do better the more you leave them alone.