Cowboys Top 5 All Time List

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Quickccc -- kudos for compiling that impressive list. I'm certain you put plenty of work and thought into doing so, even if it included a glitch or two. It was a comfort to me to see how many great decisions that this team has made throughout the years. It serves as proof positive that we actually weren't always something less than great! Overall, it's been a proud franchise for a very long time! Let's hope fate is as kind to us in the future. :)

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what you actually want to say its your opinion. I respect your opinion. But mine is different.

And of course will the salary from your employer depend on the accolades you earned somewhere else.
No, I'm saying it's common sense and logic. Having 10,000 receiving yards as a 49er does not make a "top" Cowboy. Certainly someone with 10,000 receiving yards as a Cowboy would be much closer to a "top" Cowboy.

How can you argue against that?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
No, I'm saying it's common sense and logic. Having 10,000 receiving yards as a 49er does not make a "top" Cowboy. Certainly someone with 10,000 receiving yards as a Cowboy would be much closer to a "top" Cowboy.

How can you argue against that?

To me its not common sense that "Having 10,000 receiving yards as a 49er does not make a "top" Cowboy. Certainly someone with 10,000 receiving yards as a Cowboy would be much closer to a "top" Cowboy. "

You act like you are the instance who defines whats right and wrong. And if somebody questions it you try to proof it with an empty word like "common sense".
What you said is an (your) opinion, not a fact. But you are still fighting to establish your opinion as a fact. Why do you need that ? I don't get it.

Of course i can follow your point of view. And i can accept it. Still it is not mine, regardless of how many examples you will post. They make sense, of course. A lot of stuff makes sense. Is it right because of it ? No. Why ? Because we don't have an instance who defined what is right or wrong nor what is a "Top Cowboy" and what is not. And you are for certain not the instance who has the god given right to define it! That boy-o at least is a fact.

quickccc

Reaction score
Quickccc -- kudos for compiling that impressive list. I'm certain you put plenty of work and thought into doing so, even if it included a glitch or two. It was a comfort to me to see how many great decisions that this team has made throughout the years. It serves as proof positive that we actually weren't always something less than great!
Overall, it's been a proud franchise for a very long time! Let's hope fate is as kind to us in the future. :)

Thanks, I actually do this Cowboys top 5 all time list every year, ..every summer, ..around this slow (slowest) part of the season before training camp.
Plus there are newcomers and new members currently here that haven't been on the Zone in the past years. So it may be a somethin' new with them.

Rankings, comparisons, polls are subjective to various opinions, and viewpoints, and that's fine, so long as opinionated discussions are/can be carried in both a respected and
intelligently way of interacting in exchange of views and opinions.

With any rankings or comparisons, I myself feel more comfortable, more of a preference with going with players I've actually seen physically play and perform
at some point or another. But there are and have to be exceptions.

As how would that factor in possibly ignoring or neglecting HOF players such Bob Hayes and Bob Lilly who not only were considered at the top
as All time Cowboys players, but also without question are considered among the very best at their respective positions in NFL all time history ?

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me its not common sense that "Having 10,000 receiving yards as a 49er does not make a "top" Cowboy. Certainly someone with 10,000 receiving yards as a Cowboy would be much closer to a "top" Cowboy. "

You act like you are the instance who defines whats right and wrong. And if somebody questions it you try to proof it with an empty word like "common sense".
What you said is an (your) opinion, not a fact. But you are still fighting to establish your opinion as a fact. Why do you need that ? I don't get it.

Of course i can follow your point of view. And i can accept it. Still it is not mine, regardless of how many examples you will post. They make sense, of course. A lot of stuff makes sense. Is it right because of it ? No. Why ? Because we don't have an instance who defined what is right or wrong nor what is a "Top Cowboy" and what is not. And you are for certain not the instance who has the god given right to define it! That boy-o at least is a fact.

By your standard if Jerry Rice had played 1 game for the Cowboys he would be the top Cowboy WR, and possibly the top Cowboy of all time regardless of position.

Admittedly we aren't provided with a definition of what "top Cowboy" means, but I can't see any logic to justify that.

There have been a lot of threads over the years that ask fans to rank the top Cowboys at each position. Despite being HOFers and some of the more highly regarded players at their positions in NFL history, I've never seen anyone include Jackie Smith and Lance Alworth. Why is that? Obviously it's because their careers "as Cowboys" were not strong enough, and people aren't willing to count their careers as members of other teams.

Of course TO did more as a Cowboy than they did, but that isn't your standard your hanging your hat on. Your standard is overall career, not career "as a Cowboy". I would be shocked if anyone else on this site would considering putting TO ahead of Michael Irvin as a "top" Cowboy receiver, much less plug him as one of the top 5 Cowboys of all time.

quickccc

Reaction score
By your standard if Jerry Rice had played 1 game for the Cowboys he would be the top Cowboy WR, and possibly the top Cowboy of all time regardless of position.

Admittedly we aren't provided with a definition of what "top Cowboy" means, but I can't see any logic to justify that.

There have been a lot of threads over the years that ask fans to rank the top Cowboys at each position. Despite being HOFers and some of the more highly regarded players at their positions in NFL history, I've never seen anyone include Jackie Smith and Lance Alworth. Why is that? Obviously it's because their careers "as Cowboys" were not strong enough, and people aren't willing to count their careers as members of other teams.

Of course TO did more as a Cowboy than they did, but that isn't your standard your hanging your hat on. Your standard is overall career, not career "as a Cowboy". I would be shocked if anyone else on this site would considering putting TO ahead of Michael Irvin as a "top" Cowboy receiver, much less plug him as one of the top 5 Cowboys of all time.

- I've never seen Jackie Smith and Lance Alworth play, much wasn't even on this earth yet when they were making their NFL mark. .

- And yeh, you're right, when i hear about Alworth, why do i always envision him in a Chargers uniform instead of a Cowboys uniform ?

- When i hear and think about TE Jackie Smith, why do i always envision him in a Cardinal uniform instead of a Cowboys uniform ?
heck 15 years is a helluva looongtime in the NFL, especially with just one team.
And just him coming to the Cowboys in last part of his career, makes me think of Emmitt in a Cardinal uniform

And every time Jackie's name is brought up, ..it's always,. .always ..always focused and pointed
at his notorious wide open drop in the end zone in the SB vs Pittsburgh that would have turned the game in our favor, even more than his golden years
as a Cardinal.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- I've never seen Jackie Smith and Lance Alworth play, much wasn't even on this earth yet when they were making their NFL mark. .

- And yeh, you're right, when i hear about Alworth, why do i always envision him in a Chargers uniform instead of a Cowboys uniform ?

- When i hear and think about TE Jackie Smith, why do i always envision him in a Cardinal uniform instead of a Cowboys uniform ?
heck 15 years is a helluva looongtime in the NFL, especially with just one team.
And just him coming to the Cowboys in last part of his career, makes me think of Emmitt in a Cardinal uniform

And every time Jackie's name is brought up, ..it's always,. .always ..always focused and pointed
at his notorious wide open drop in the end zone in the SB vs Pittsburgh that would have turned the game in our favor, even more than his golden years
as a Cardinal.

Yep, Jackie did make a mark in his short time as a Cowboy, but a negative one. Add that to all those years when the Cards were in the NFC East and Jackie was hard to stop, he is not a Cowboy favorite. Really a great guy from what I can tell though.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Can you list and rank Best/Favorite Cowboys Top 5 All Time players at their positions ?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/lineups.htm

:Here's a Look at My Cowboys List/ Top 5 Player-Position Rankings:

QBs
1 Roger Staubach
2 Troy Aikman
3 Dak Prescott
4 Tony Romo
5 Danny White

WRs
1 Michael Irvin
2 Bob Hayes
3 Drew Pearson