Cowboys tweets 1/20

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think calling his own plays again puts huge pressure on the ginger clapper to succeed, especially after yet another divisional round failure.

If it happens without a contract extension? Yes, I agree, and I actually respect it. If Garrett is betting on himself and doing things his way in the last year of his deal? I not only respect it, I applaud it. And I root for him to succeed and end up getting an even bigger extension if he succeeds. But I want the same accountability if he fails, he's fired.

Sydla

Reaction score
I know a lot of people won't want to hear it but the refs handed that game to the Rams, period.

The Saints didn’t have a penalty called on them for almost 45 minutes.

That missed PI was bad but the refs certainly seemed to be helping the Saints for a huge chunk of that game.

Bluefin

Reaction score
No, worry about Zeke and the running game. Garrett got his privileges revoked because he was a pass-happy idiot.
The entire identity of the offense is based around Ezekiel Elliott and the OL running the football.

Jason Garrett fired OL coach Paul Alexander mid-season because his teaching style took away from the physical identity his unit had in prior seasons.

While I do believe this team has been too conservative on offense, and leaned too heavily on the ground game, I'm not the least bit worried about suddenly becoming 'pass happy' if Garrett does resume calling plays.

Dallas had never drafted OL in round one under Jerry Jones' ownership prior to Redball becoming head coach. They've picked three of them since and they selected a running back 4th overall.

We will continue to run the ball.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The entire identity of the offense is based around Ezekiel Elliott and the OL running the football.

Jason Garrett fired OL coach Paul Alexander mid-season because his teaching style took away from the physical identity his unit had in prior seasons.

While I do believe this team has been too conservative on offense, and leaned too heavily on the ground game, I'm not the least bit worried about suddenly becoming 'pass happy' if Garrett does resume calling plays.

Dallas had never drafted OL in round one under Jerry Jones' ownership prior to Redball becoming head coach. They've picked three of them since and they selected a running back 4th overall.

I'm glad that you have confidence in Garrett's playcalling and running the football, despite me showing you his history of doing the exact opposite.

_sturt_

Reaction score

I want a single wild card challenge per game per team...

So, all the current rules and parameters apply normally, but every coach can challenge one something/anything each game that doesn't have to meet any standards of what is reviewable and what is not.

Bluefin

Reaction score
I'm glad that you have confidence in Garrett's playcalling and running the football, despite me showing you his history of doing the exact opposite.
Happy to oblige.

If you want to believe the way this team is built was against the wishes of the head coach, who must've just sat there the whole time daydreaming about throwing the ball 40+ times every week, have at it.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Just wanted to address this part of your post:

I think the biggest reason Alexander was jettisoned was the heat that this o-line was taking for all the sacks they were surrendering and a lot of that had to do with the new hand fighting technique they were being taught in pass protection. It was completely contrary to the way they had been taught previously.

For the record, I don't necessarily think you're wrong, just thought I'd give a counterpoint to ponder.

Sydla

Reaction score
Happy to oblige.

If you want to believe the way this team is built was against the wishes of the head coach, who must've just sat there the whole time daydreaming about throwing the ball 40+ times every week, have at it.

When he called plays, they were more pass happy, if I recall.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

When Linehan came in he made it clear running the football was a directive from Garrett

I don’t remember well what our run-pass mix was in 2011, but Garrett’s first order of business was to address the OL. He cut/let walk three starters that first offseason. Before we drafted Murray, it’s no wonder we relied more on Romo for a bit there. But the plan was always to build the team the way we’ve built it now.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Happy to oblige.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'll deal with reality, and what the man actually did, not some perception of what I hope will happen.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yes, they absolutely were. And I showed that fact earlier in this thread. But the homers can't acknowledge that fact. 'Garrett's all about the running game now.'

:facepalm:

Bluefin

Reaction score
Are you honestly concerned Jason Garrett would call the same plays now as he did back then when Tony Romo was the QB?

It's an entirely different team.

Romo was a big part of the reason those former teams were pass heavy. Not only was throwing the ball typically the strength of the team, but the QB frequently audibled to passes.

Remember 2014, the last year Romo played an entire season?

He was 14th in passing yards and DeMarco Murray led the NFL in rushing yards.

Who was the head coach?