Twitter: Cowboys tweets 5/5

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford has started 75 of the past 80 regular season games.

He started 15 regular season games in 2018 and both playoff games.

And he's wasn't good. You achieved the same number of sacks at RDE as he did. I'm not about to argue the "starter" semantics game. You and I both know that he has no true starting role on this team. Unless you're willfully looking to fool yourself?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It actually makes sense to cut him after this year as far as salary cap. Less dead money after this year.

That does not matter.

The combined 2019 and 2020 cap hit for Crawford:

If cut now.
4.2M

If cut after the 2019 season.
4.2M + 7M = 11.2M

Notice the 4.2M hits the cap either way.

The cost to keep him in 2019 is 7M.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And he's wasn't good. You achieved the same number of sacks at RDE as he did. I'm not about to argue the "starter" semantics game. You and I both know that he has no true starting role on this team. Unless you're willfully looking to fool yourself?

DE 8 starts
DT 7 starts

They make the playoffs with him starting 15 games.

He only missed the 1 start because they rested some starters in game 16.

They have to find other DL that don't:
Get injured every year.
Get suspended for weed.
Get benched for attitude.
Make 21M per.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And why isn't your "best DT" not even starting there? How's is it that your "best DT" lost his starting job inside? Why is he now nothing more than a role player?

Then shame on "us" then. There's no excuse for a team to struggle to move on from an overpaid role player.

Crawford had the 2nd highest dline snap count after DLaw. His role seems to be "play a lot".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DE 8 starts
DT 7 starts

They make the playoffs with him starting 15 games.

So are you saying that they made the playoffs because of Tyrone Crawford? Or did they make the playoffs despite Tyrone Crawford? Like they made the playoffs despite Jeff Heath?

He only missed the 1 start because they rested some starters in game 16.

Actually, didn't he suffer a scary injury and sat out the next game as a precaution?

They have to find other DL that don't:
Get injured every year.
Get suspended for weed.
Get benched for attitude.
Make 21M per.

And their mistakes excuse Crawford not having a true starting role and underperforming his contract? Not in my book.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford had the 2nd highest dline snap count after DLaw. His role seems to be "play a lot".

But not actually start.

And "play a lot" at a mediocre level. That's great.

And like I've said numerous times, you line that guy up at RDE and there is zero threat that you're going to sack the opposing quarterback. The Cowboys play with one hand tied behind their back.

Falco78

Reaction score
So are you saying that they made the playoffs because of Tyrone Crawford? Or did they make the playoffs despite Tyrone Crawford? Like they made the playoffs despite Jeff Heath?

Actually, didn't he suffer a scary injury and sat out the next game as a precaution?

And their mistakes excuse Crawford not having a true starting role and underperforming his contract? Not in my book.
Underperforming, look at contracts now he has played above those

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Underperforming, look at contracts now he has played above those

I have looked at contracts. And no, he hasn't played above those, not since he signed a deal befitting a player he never became.

We kept the wrong Crawford at the wrong price. The Falcons got more out of Jack Crawford, at 1/3rd the cost. And that's what Tyrone is, a nice rotational guy that should be paid and regarded that way. Because that's who and what he is.

jjktkk

Reaction score
You can argue rather Crawford is overpaid, or not, but I believe the FO values Crawford's leadership, so I'm not sure if they're too concerned about overpaying him or not.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can argue rather Crawford is overpaid, or not, but I believe the FO values Crawford's leadership, so I'm not sure if they're too concerned about overpaying him or not.

You're likely very right. But it doesn't mean we have to agree with that decision either. Personally, I think they have a tendency to overvalue "leadership" and other intangibles that fail to translate to tangible production on the field.

Too many guys like Crawford, Witten, Lee, and Hurns kept around because of "leadership" and being "team guys" but on gamedays, the results aren't there on the field.

That's the way I see it.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I feel like Tyrone Crawford is the new Greg Ellis. Greg Ellis had a good career but hated because he was drafted instead of Randy Moss. Tyrone Crawford is a good player but he is hated because he has a big contract.
Only one of those players produced and was worth their contract. Other than that it's exactly not the same.

Fact is if Crawford were half as good as Ellis he would be a steal.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Show me others teams paying non-starters $10 million a year. It's not good business and it's a poor return on investment.

Oh, I see, you're worried about the business. I thought we were talking football.