Twitter: Cowboys tweets 5/5

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So are you saying that they made the playoffs because of Tyrone Crawford? Or did they make the playoffs despite Tyrone Crawford? Like they made the playoffs despite Jeff Heath?

Actually, didn't he suffer a scary injury and sat out the next game as a precaution?

And their mistakes excuse Crawford not having a true starting role and underperforming his contract? Not in my book.

It's silly to focus on Crawford.

The focus should be on who can replace him.

M.Collins: Gets injured every year.
Gregory: Gets suspended for weed.
Taco: Gets benched for attitude.
DLaw: Makes 21M per and plays LDE.

You might emotionally "feel" like Crawford is a big problem, but if they replaced him with the likes of Stephen Ross, fans would realize Crawford was at least serviceable as an NFL player.

Back when Woodson retired, fans wanted to run post-Woodson Roy Williams out of town; however, those fans would have been ecstatic to have 2005-2008 Roy at SS in 2018...

It became more than obvious that the vast majority of people that constantly complain about Jeff Heath have very little actual knowledge about how the Cowboys Safeties played.

I did a Cowboys Safety Quiz thread. I didn't expect everyone to know all of the details, but the people that constantly complain about Heath should have been able to answer at least a few of the questions; however, they didn't even know if he played SS or FS in 2017 and didn't know if he was used differently between 2017 and 2018.

I suspect there might be some of that with Crawford. If Crawford haters spent time studying Stephen Ross and some others, they would realize that they should be thankful that Crawford was around to keep those types from starting.

We would all like to get an Aaron Donald or Fletcher Cox type DT or a Khalil Mack type at RDE; however, that's just not going to happen.

The only way they move on from Crawford is when other players make him expendable.

You should become the biggest cheerleader for players like Trysten Hill, Hyder, Taco, etc.. because if Crawford remains for much longer, it's the fault of those players, not Crawford.

I do think that Stephen Jones has Crawford's 7M salary highlighted on his salary cap spreadsheet and would love for Hill, Taco, Hyder, M.Collins, etc.. to make him expendable.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score

You might emotionally "feel" like Crawford is a big problem, but if they replaced him with the likes of Stephen Ross, fans would realize Crawford was at least serviceable as an NFL player.

Back when Woodson retired, fans wanted to run post-Woodson Roy Williams out of town; however, those fans would have been ecstatic to have 2005-2008 Roy at SS in 2018...

It became more than obvious that the vast majority of people that constantly complain about Jeff Heath have very little actual knowledge about how the Cowboys Safeties played.

I did a Cowboys Safety Quiz thread. I didn't expect everyone to know all of the details, but the people that constantly complain about Heath should have been able to answer at least a few of the questions; however, they didn't even know if he played SS or FS in 2017 and didn't know if he was used differently between 2017 and 2018.

I suspect there might be some of that with Crawford. If Crawford haters spent time studying Stephen Ross and some others, they would realize that they should be thankful that Crawford was around to keep those types from starting.

We would all like to get an Aaron Donald or Fletcher Cox type DT or a Khalil Mack type at RDE; however, that's just not going to happen.

The only way they move on from Crawford is when other players make him expendable.

You should become the biggest cheerleader for players like Trysten Hill, Hyder, Taco, etc.. because if Crawford remains for much longer, it's the fault of those players, not Crawford.

I do think that Stephen Jones has Crawford's 7M salary highlighted on his salary cap spreadsheet and would love for Hill, Taco, Hyder, M.Collins, etc.. to make him expendable.
Excellent post

817Gill

Reaction score
But not actually start.

And "play a lot" at a mediocre level. That's great.

And like I've said numerous times, you line that guy up at RDE and there is zero threat that you're going to sack the opposing quarterback. The Cowboys play with one hand tied behind their back.
Why do you keep hammering at him being a RDE? I’ve seen your whole argument with other posters on this thread and barely anyone has called you out on that.

Crawford played RDE on clear rush downs, Crawford kicked inside for pass downs to proved interior pressure. Obviously he hasn’t tallied significant sack totals from RDE, but he did lead all DT’s in sacks last year (something you refuse to mention).

As a versatile D-lineman, Crawford plays an important role for this team. Just because he’s not a flashy 10 sack guy doesn’t mean he’s not valuable. Teams need hard working lunch pals glue guys just as much as they need stars, especially when half the position group suffers attitude or substance abuse issues. The team can always count on Crawford, they will continue to do so until someone else on the d-line can do so.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Give me Jack Crawford then. More production at a third of the cost.

See, I don’t need Donald, Fletcher Cox, or Mack.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do you keep hammering at him being a RDE? I’ve seen your whole argument with other posters on this thread and barely anyone has called you out on that.

Crawford played RDE on clear rush downs, Crawford kicked inside for pass downs to proved interior pressure. Obviously he hasn’t tallied significant sack totals from RDE, but he did lead all DT’s in sacks last year (something you refuse to mention).

I’m not denying his numbers nor where and how he got them. But I am saying he has no business at RDE. None. This team does itself a disservice if he’s out there.

As a versatile D-lineman, Crawford plays an important role for this team. Just because he’s not a flashy 10 sack guy doesn’t mean he’s not valuable. Teams need hard working lunch pals glue guys just as much as they need stars, especially when half the position group suffers attitude or substance abuse issues. The team can always count on Crawford, they will continue to do so until someone else on the d-line can do so.

Pay him what he should be making then if you insist on keeping him as a rotational guy.

408Cowboy

Reaction score

How many people do you think took your safety quiz seriously?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
But not actually start.

And "play a lot" at a mediocre level. That's great.

And like I've said numerous times, you line that guy up at RDE and there is zero threat that you're going to sack the opposing quarterback. The Cowboys play with one hand tied behind their back.

Crawford started every game he played in 2018.
He played more dline snaps than any dlineman but Lawrence.
He got more sacks from DT than any lineman.

I don't like him rushing the passer from RDE either. And neither do they. We move him inside to DT on passing downs, and bring a pass rushing RDE in to backfill him. We'll likely do that with Quinn this year.

You can bemoan him as mediocre, but he gives production from DT that we need.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Pretty much this.

It's possible to move on from a guy who is very bad value, even if you can't replace the production, but Crawford doesn't rise to that level of bad value at 7mil. RKG, produces, has position flex, and is a known quantity. Some would argue that he's perfectly fine value. I feel it's like a mil or two too higher than I'd like, but we can't wave a magic wand to fix that. He's quality at 3T and we're light there. Plugging that gap with an extra mil or two is not something to get all exercised about.

His market value might actually be higher than 7mil, as then he could play as a 3-4 DE, which is his proper position.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
How many people do you think took your safety quiz seriously?

It was a little goofy phrased as a quiz, but he unearthed and organized a lot of good information. His analysis there should have been taken seriously. People who couldn't set aside the quiz aspect from the information provided were not being particularly serious themselves.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jack Crawford? More production?
Man, you are usually a good poster, but your Crawford hate is really just...crazy.

Look up their stats last year. And then their contracts. And then get back to me. The truth is the truth. I've done my homework on Tyrone Crawford, unlike people who just want to rush to defend him because he currently wears the star on his helmet.

And it's not "hate", it's calling an overpaid role player exactly what he is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford started every game he played in 2018.
He played more dline snaps than any dlineman but Lawrence.
He got more sacks from DT than any lineman.

I don't like him rushing the passer from RDE either. And neither do they. We move him inside to DT on passing downs, and bring a pass rushing RDE in to backfill him. We'll likely do that with Quinn this year.

You can bemoan him as mediocre, but he gives production from DT that we need.

Thanks, I will bemoan him as mediocre. And overpaid. And lacking an actual starting role.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
It was a little goofy phrased as a quiz, but he unearthed and organized a lot of good information. His analysis there should have been taken seriously. People who couldn't set aside the quiz aspect from the information provided were not being particularly serious themselves.
I remember reading through it. That's why I asked how many he thought took it seriously. I may be wrong or have missed it but I don't remember anyone really trying to even answer it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
In your opinion I guess. I disagree.

lol, what are you talking about? It's an opinion.

His cap number this year has no effect on resigning anyone. Next year, maybe, but not this year.

I'm not talking about his play, you can call him mediocre all you want, but math is math.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I feel like Tyrone Crawford is the new Greg Ellis. Greg Ellis had a good career but hated because he was drafted instead of Randy Moss. Tyrone Crawford is a good player but he is hated because he has a big contract.
And because he never solidified a position. He has been the filler here, and you should never pay $10 million for a filler.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol, what are you talking about? It's an opinion.

His cap number this year has no effect on resigning anyone. Next year, maybe, but not this year.

I'm not talking about his play, you can call him mediocre all you want, but math is math.

Yes. And overpaid is overpaid. And every dollar you waste today is one less to rollover for the future. That’s what I’m talking about.