Twitter: Cowboys Tweets 6/10

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Overall the Cowboys cap is very clean and efficient.

Cap number is not a good way to look at the cost of a player.
  • Unless the salary is guaranteed, the current year salary is the key number.
  • Tyron's cap number is high because they restructured his contract to make space to sign other players in past years. In other words, much of the cap space number is money spent on other players.
  • Sean Lee missed a lot of games but if he didn't his salary would be much higher (Probably 12M instead of 7M). He is so good when he does play that he's worth the 7M even if he only plays half the games.
  • DLaw is the highest risk. His history of two back surgeries and his limited time of producing at a high-level make the 17M a risk; although, way less risk than a long-term contract.
  • It is a simple 6M to keep Crawford. The overall multi-year cap has 6M added to it if he stays for 2018 as compared to him being cut.
  • The dead-money is not relevant because that money hits the cap with or without him on the roster.
  • If Crawford becomes a backup this year, then the 6M number is a bit high but if he is definitely better than the next player on the roster then there's no rush to dump him.
  • A legit starting DE will require a long-term contract in the 17M per range. That makes the 6M to Crawford who was the starting RDE in 2017 not that big of an issue.
  • I'm not a big fan of TWill, but his stats are inline with his pay. I think one of the young guys will surpass him this year, but the 3.5M is not a significant issue. I would prefer it if he didn't have the guaranteed salary because I would like to see the roster spots go to young players; however, strictly from a cap perspective, the 3.5M is not a big deal if he is the starter for game 1.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm just not that Gung-Ho on acquiring Thomas.

He will want a really big contract. At age 29, a 4-year contract averaging 12M per could end of averaging 18M per if he is cut after a couple of years. A 24M signing bonus would be 6M per if he stayed 4-years but becomes 12M per if he is gone after 2 years.

Example:
4-years, 48M total, 12M per (6M as salary and 6M as bonus proration), 24M signing bonus

If gone after 2-years:
2-years, 36M total, 18M per

He was never injured until both of the past 2 years. He has always been a smallish Safety. He could be on the verge of a rapid decline.

dallasdave

Reaction score
I'm just not that Gung-Ho on acquiring Thomas.

He will want a really big contract. At age 29, a 4-year contract averaging 12M per could end of averaging 18M per if he is cut after a couple of years. A 24M signing bonus would be 6M per if he stayed 4-years but becomes 12M per if he is gone after 2 years.

Example:
4-years, 48M total, 12M per (6M as salary and 6M as bonus proration), 24M signing bonus

If gone after 2-years:
2-years, 36M total, 18M per

He was never injured until both of the past 2 years. He has always been a smallish Safety. He could be on the verge of a rapid decline.
:hammer::hammer::hammer: