Twitter: Cowboy's Tweets 9/10

birdwells1

Reaction score
The criticism is absolutely warranted. But keep in mind the average QB gets pressured on about 33% of his dropbacks in a game. 40% and above (as happened yesterday) is an inordinate amount of pressures, and happens only about 4 times per team per season on average. It happened 8 times to Dak last year. So we're not talking about everything having to be perfect, and in fact, even when the pressures have been more than average but still under 40%, he's played well.

The problem is when protection is not below average but consistently poor, and the thing about Dak is that he hasn't just been bad when pressured 40% or more, he's been terrible. That was actually one of his better "40+" games yesterday, for what it's worth. Still, you're obviously going to have those kinds of 40+ games from time to time, and the QB has to be able to handle it. Russell Wilson actually had 9 such games (40+) last year. But Wilson and/or somebody close to him understands how the mental side of the game can affect performance, especially QB performance. He has a "brain trainer."

In a game when pressures are 40% or more of dropbacks, you can pick any QB and look at his attempts from a clean pocket and you'll see passer ratings mostly in the 100s, with some 90s. Not Prescott. His rating is in the 70s. He's feeling pressure that isn't there.

Then if you look at how Dak responds to pressure in a "normal" game (when pressured on fewer than 40% of dropbacks), you see that his passer rating is 2nd only to Brady when pressured. So it isn't the play, and it isn't even the pressure itself. It's the perception/anticipation of pressure. And it goes back to his college days. Consistent pressure -- the kind that happens in 1 of 4 games -- takes him out of his game.

Question, how can you tell if the pressure is due to a qb holding on to the ball too long?

Nexx

Reaction score
Even Dennis Thurman, former Cowboy DB, admitted the WR's weren't good yesterday either (for the most part).

It's like this if you want to bury Prescott at this point... So be it.

But I'm not going there after the first game of the season.

I guess
Even Dennis Thurman, former Cowboy DB, admitted the WR's weren't good yesterday either (for the most part).

It's like this if you want to bury Prescott at this point... So be it.

But I'm not going there after the first game of the season.

You might want to check out the "All 22" thread.. I am not the only who saw this.

Dre11

Reaction score
Because we have a true MODERN DAY teacher/coach on defense now. Rod is good but he’s not updated. The offensive guys are all terrible. Linnehan never developed a qb and neither has Garrett. Fact

Richards coaches DBs,

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Jerry seems way more able to take criticism than Stephen it seems. Stephen seems to get ultra defensive when he and his dad’s decisions are called into question.

Insecurity does that to you. Jerry's a self made billionaire who is anything but insecure. Stephen's only accomplishment in life is being Jerry's son.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Question, how can you tell if the pressure is due to a qb holding on to the ball too long?
One way is to count the time from snap to sack. In 2016, Prescott's time was one of the longest in the league. In 2017, it was one of the shortest.

Time to sack
2016 3.83 (4th)
2017 3.14 (27th)

Here are the QB with the most "quick sacks" in 2017:
Time to sack 2.5 seconds or less
1 Brady 10 sacks
2 Cousins 10 sacks
3 Dalton 10 sacks
4 Prescott 9 sacks
5 Stafford 9 sacks

And the QB with the most sacks after holding the ball longer.
Time to sack > 2.5 seconds
1 Brissett 47 sacks
2 Taylor 41 sacks
3 Stafford 37 sacks
4 Wilson 37 sacks
5 McCown 34 sacks

17 Prescott 23 sacks

(An example of what that doesn't tell you is when a quick sack was the result of the QB not stepping up in the pocket away from pressure.)

Another way is to look at the correlation between OL personnel and sacks. If most of the pressures are the QB's fault, the sack totals will be high whether there is a starter or a backup OL playing. Last year, when Smith and Martin played at least half the game, Prescott was sacked once every 30 dropbacks. When they didn't, it was one sack every 11 dropbacks.

Plankton

Reaction score
If you want to condemn the guy based on yesterday that's fine.

I'm not there yet.

I’m not condemning him based on yesterday. I am being critical of a player that didn’t hold up his end of the bargain yesterday, and continues to show a glass jaw in the face of duress. Can he improve? Sure. Can he get more help than he got yesterday? Absolutely.

I have also been critical of Tyron Smith, Connor Williams and La’el Collins from being brutal to overmatched yesterday. As they deserve to be critiqued. Elliott didn’t have a great game in protection, and didn’t break many tackles from what I watched.

It was a wretched performance on offense yesterday. Prescott played a role in it. Not the only role, but a role nonetheless.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not condemning him based on yesterday. I am being critical of a player that didn’t hold up his end of the bargain yesterday, and continues to show a glass jaw in the face of duress. Can he improve? Sure. Can he get more help than he got yesterday? Absolutely.

I have also been critical of Tyron Smith, Connor Williams and La’el Collins from being brutal to overmatched yesterday. As they deserve to be critiqued. Elliott didn’t have a great game in protection, and didn’t break many tackles from what I watched.

It was a wretched performance on offense yesterday. Prescott played a role in it. Not the only role, but a role nonetheless.

Agreed. It was.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The criticism is absolutely warranted. But keep in mind the average QB gets pressured on about 33% of his dropbacks in a game. 40% and above (as happened yesterday) is an inordinate amount of pressures, and happens only about 4 times per team per season on average. It happened 8 times to Dak last year. So we're not talking about everything having to be perfect, and in fact, even when the pressures have been more than average but still under 40%, he's played well.

The problem is when protection is not below average but consistently poor, and the thing about Dak is that he hasn't just been bad when pressured 40% or more, he's been terrible. That was actually one of his better "40+" games yesterday, for what it's worth. Still, you're obviously going to have those kinds of 40+ games from time to time, and the QB has to be able to handle it. Russell Wilson actually had 9 such games (40+) last year. But Wilson and/or somebody close to him understands how the mental side of the game can affect performance, especially QB performance. He has a "brain trainer."

In a game when pressures are 40% or more of dropbacks, you can pick any QB and look at his attempts from a clean pocket and you'll see passer ratings mostly in the 100s, with some 90s. Not Prescott. His rating is in the 70s. He's feeling pressure that isn't there.

Then if you look at how Dak responds to pressure in a "normal" game (when pressured on fewer than 40% of dropbacks), you see that his passer rating is 2nd only to Brady when pressured. So it isn't the play, and it isn't even the pressure itself. It's the perception/anticipation of pressure. And it goes back to his college days. Consistent pressure -- the kind that happens in 1 of 4 games -- takes him out of his game.
I'm not sure this OL gets any better until at least Frederick returns.

Dre11

Reaction score
Stop it bro. He was calling plays last game. Rod is done

He was not. Because you saw him communicating through a headset, you think he calls the defense. It's how you communicate with other coaches. Rod calls the defense....lol