Twitter: Cowboys use of RPO usage vs few other teams

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I agree. However, there have been many QBs injured running the ball. They need to find the right balance or Dak will end up like RG3.
I keep seeing people using Griffin as an example. It is simply not true that his injuries were because he was a running QB. His ACL and MCL tear came on a dropback where he tried to plant on the shoddy FedEx turf.

Fact is if Prescott runs more RPOs, he is not necessarily more exposed to injury.

If you are paying him to be the franchise, don't restrict his level of success by restricting what he is the best at.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Uum, it is called the RPO for a reason. The most important letter is "O".

We don't know if RPO's were called or not and how Dak may be involved in calling out of them based on the keys he saw.

I'm not trying to be a Linehan or Garrett apologizer, but there may be other reasons why the team hasn't called the plays.

Foles was great at the RPO because he set his feet well to sell run and get into pass.

The Chiefs and the Eagles have a very strong line that integrates well to the point where one side will outside zone block and the other side of the line pass blocks. This confuses the keys for the LBs and helps the QB read his LB keys easier in the RP decision making.

I'm not entirely sure what is driving Dallas to utilize the RPO more, but it may not be as easy as a Garrett/Linehan answer.

The lineup changes on the OL may have been a factor, but if that was part of the reason it shouldn't be going forward. The Chiefs used it alot not just because of their OL, but they because they also had Hunt, Hill and Kelce those are tough decisions for a defense to make. It could very well be that Dak checked out of the play hard for us to know for sure. That was something that Eagles fans have talked about, the offense seemed smoother with Foles at times and might have been because Wentz checked out of plays, where Foles used RPO to help open their running game. Hopefully with a more stable OL, the addition of Coop, Cobb and return of Witt we will see it called more often and Dak more comfortable with those options, if indeed that was actually an issue.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I keep seeing people using Griffin as an example. It is simply not true that his injuries were because he was a running QB. His ACL and MCL tear came on a dropback where he tried to plant on the shoddy FedEx turf.

Fact is if Prescott runs more RPOs, he is not necessarily more exposed to injury.

If you are paying him to be the franchise, don't restrict his level of success by restricting what he is the best at.

What makes you think he's the best at RPO's? I think you're confusing RPO with a read option.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
What makes you think he's the best at RPO's? I think you're confusing RPO with a read option.
He is a better QB with the thought he could run with the football on a regular basis. He is not a dropback and sling it guy. He just isn't.

Reactions: CWR

JayFord

Reaction score
So we have a mobile QB that throws darts on the run but we rather not use the RPO

Cool

Reactions: CWR

lwehlers

Reaction score
A boring unimaginable conservative coach will lead to a boring unimaginative conservative offense. Garrett is the problem and Jerry doesn't see that Garrett is the problem so that makes Jerry part of the problem too.

Way to use Dak and Zeke Cowboys. ---NOT---
I doubt it will change to much but hopefully we use more Rpo in the redzone more. and maybe having a proven tightend in witten will help also.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Garrett shares blame for the lack of creativity in the offense.

To suggest otherwise is crazy.

Heh I don't give him credit for offense or defense. If Moore lights it up with good play design/ calling and Dak balls out....no one should give credit to Garrett for that. His deal is keeping guys buying into the system that's really it. He doesn't help on either side of the ball that just how I see it.

Haimerej

Reaction score
He is a better QB with the thought he could run with the football on a regular basis. He is not a dropback and sling it guy. He just isn't.

I agree. Just saying RPO's don't generally involve the QB running the ball. They're running plays with a pass option. The interception by Hyde two years ago in the GB playoff game was a RPO.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Haimerej it is if it's a bootleg. Just picking with you. I know you said most, meaning traditionally.

I know you're just picking a little... but I can't think of a bootleg being a RPO because the o line is usually run blocking on those plays.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

They definitely need to run more plays where he takes off, but I wouldn't turn him into a running type QB. Too valuable. Dak was NOT a pocket passer in college so he has had to learn to more proficient in that area. The last two years were a good adversity training for that and we saw good results towards the 2nd half of last year. Dak will have a great season.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if Tony Pollard turns into a great option to use in the RPO, both as a runner and receiver.:thumbup: