Cowboys vs Commanders memories

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Coach Landry's last game at RFK.
we beat'm 24-17.
Michael Irvin had a really good game that day.

my favorite rivalry....loved it when we played them at RFK in the 80s wearin those navy jerseys and silver pants.
That was my first time attending a Cowboy game. Amazing experience and cold!

plasticman

Reaction score
"George Allen never used to say 'the Dallas Cowboys', it was always 'the ******* Dallas Cowboys.' It's the Cowboys' uniform. It strikes hate and loathing in my mind, almost in a Pavlovian sense."
-John Wilbur

"Die you dogs. Die you Dallas dogs."
- Sam Wyche

"Roger Staubach can't read defenses and wears skirts..."
- Ron McDole to the press, when asked about what he thought of the Cowboys quarterback

"I mean, nothing but cold water. Damn Commanders. And you know they've got hot water. You know they're showering good."
-Harvey Martin. Billy Kilmer later confirmed that Allen had ordered Commanders Equipment manager Tom McVean to turn off the hot water leading to the visiting locker room when Dallas was in town.

"When you sign with Washington, you sign a contract to hate the Cowboys."
-Charles Mann

"If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Commanders fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan."
-Jim Lachey

"If you came out of the (Dallas) game and you weren't bleeding, you hadn't played."
- Ken Houston

"Plain & Simple - WE HATE DALLAS"
- home made sign hung at RFK Stadium during the 1982 NFC Championship game.

"We're standing there for the national anthem. When it's over, Joe (Bugel) looks over to the other sideline at Ernie Stautner, who's the Cowboys defensive line coach. Joe yells over to him and flips him off."
-Joe Jacoby

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JOE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUU..."
-the Texas Stadium crowd on Sept 9, 1985, singing to Joe Theismann on his 36th birthday, after he had thrown five interceptions in a 44-14 loss.

"There are three great things in life: Winning the lottery, having a baby, and beating the Cowboys..."
- Mark May, after a 41-14 route of Dallas in 1986.

"Because of my position, I'm not supposed to think that way. But in the back of my mind, in my heart, I never want to see them win. It's just inbred in my blood since I was a Commander. I bleed burgundy and gold. I will always have that in my soul - to hate the silver and blue."
- Mark May, TV network analyst, 1996

"I know we don't have any Dallas people here — they are the ugliest people in the world."
- Joe Gibbs during Fan Appreciation Day, 2005.

“I applause Emmit Smith... from what I understand, he’s a heck of a dancer...”

-Dan Snyder, March 2010, in response to Emmit Smith's comment stating Snyder "was not a compassionate person."

"Any Cowboys fan that thinks the Commanders game is just another game is either very young or very stupid."
-Anonymous veteran Dallas fan

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just a few days before the game, a floral delivery arrived at the Cowboys practice facility in North Dallas. It was a funeral wreath from a florist in Rockville, Maryland (a suburb of Washington D.C.) sent to the Cowboys in “sympathy” for their upcoming loss to the Commanders.

But Cowboys defensive end Harvey Martin, the best pass rusher on the team, didn’t take kindly to the gesture. He was mad about it the whole week. In fact, he put the wreath in front of his locker as a sort of motivational tool (as if anyone needed any extra motivation to play the Commanders!).

Roger is blitzed, he throws to Hill sprinting towards the back of the end zone. IT’S A TOUCHDOWN!!!! With the extra point by kicker Rafael Septien, the Cowboys win the game, 35-34. It’s an awesome comeback. It’s one of the greatest finishes to any game ever played at Texas Stadium.

“YOU GOTTA BELIVE!”

The Cowboys are celebrating because they’ve won the NFC East and a spot in the playoffs. But there’s a little thing that’s still nagging Harvey Martin…that darned wreath!

Read the whole story..... http://www.5pointsblue.com/special-delivery-funeral-wreath-stories-cowboys-Commanders-rivalry/

xphoto-42-696x1024.jpg.pagespeed.ic.V2IBY_Ug25.jpg
My favorite Cowboys-skins game memory. It was one of the greatest regular games in Cowboys history. Most of the younger fans don’t realize what a rivalry we once had with skins.

They will always be the most hated Cowboys opponent in my book.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
"George Allen never used to say 'the Dallas Cowboys', it was always 'the ******* Dallas Cowboys.' It's the Cowboys' uniform. It strikes hate and loathing in my mind, almost in a Pavlovian sense."
-John Wilbur

"Die you dogs. Die you Dallas dogs."
- Sam Wyche

"Roger Staubach can't read defenses and wears skirts..."
- Ron McDole to the press, when asked about what he thought of the Cowboys quarterback

"I mean, nothing but cold water. Damn Commanders. And you know they've got hot water. You know they're showering good."
-Harvey Martin. Billy Kilmer later confirmed that Allen had ordered Commanders Equipment manager Tom McVean to turn off the hot water leading to the visiting locker room when Dallas was in town.

"When you sign with Washington, you sign a contract to hate the Cowboys."
-Charles Mann

"If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Commanders fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan."
-Jim Lachey

"If you came out of the (Dallas) game and you weren't bleeding, you hadn't played."
- Ken Houston

"Plain & Simple - WE HATE DALLAS"
- home made sign hung at RFK Stadium during the 1982 NFC Championship game.

"We're standing there for the national anthem. When it's over, Joe (Bugel) looks over to the other sideline at Ernie Stautner, who's the Cowboys defensive line coach. Joe yells over to him and flips him off."
-Joe Jacoby

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JOE, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUU..."
-the Texas Stadium crowd on Sept 9, 1985, singing to Joe Theismann on his 36th birthday, after he had thrown five interceptions in a 44-14 loss.

"There are three great things in life: Winning the lottery, having a baby, and beating the Cowboys..."
- Mark May, after a 41-14 route of Dallas in 1986.

"Because of my position, I'm not supposed to think that way. But in the back of my mind, in my heart, I never want to see them win. It's just inbred in my blood since I was a Commander. I bleed burgundy and gold. I will always have that in my soul - to hate the silver and blue."
- Mark May, TV network analyst, 1996

"I know we don't have any Dallas people here — they are the ugliest people in the world."
- Joe Gibbs during Fan Appreciation Day, 2005.

“I applause Emmit Smith... from what I understand, he’s a heck of a dancer...”

-Dan Snyder, March 2010, in response to Emmit Smith's comment stating Snyder "was not a compassionate person."

"Any Cowboys fan that thinks the Commanders game is just another game is either very young or very stupid."
-Anonymous veteran Dallas fan

Good post plasticman.

God Bless Tom Landry

Dre11

Reaction score
I have been to the old vet in 1991 tonwatch us beat the eagles in week 15 that essentiallygave us the nfc eastbtitle over the gangrene defense. I was at the giants game when odb made that one handed grab a few years back. I have not been to the Commanders game yet.

My memories go back to theisman, and I remember watching that bowling ball John rigging kick our arse over and over. Soon, we will make the trip to see this rivalry..... I think I want to see it in Washington before seeing it for a home game.

I live in Maryland about 30 minutes from the stadium, It's great when the boys come in and whoop that ***

Bizwah

Reaction score
My favorite was in 1991 at RFK. This was the year Washington would go on to win the SB. We took it to them at their home stadium. Emmitt was great. Irvin was great. I'll never forget Jimmy kicking in onside to surprise the Skins. We even scored on a Hail Mary play. Unfortunately, that was the game Troy hurt his knee.

That game really stood out to me. That's when I really felt we were close to winning it all.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Went to this game, was sure Emmitt was going to rush for a ton then had to quit playing at around halftime because he drank a supplement Moose gave him which made him sick.

After we left the stadium I somehow got on the wrong highway and was headed to Houston instead of OKC. :laugh:Good times.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Who can forget the classic clash of The Movable Object and The Stoppable Force?

2001: Monday Night Football

The (0-4) Cowboys kneaded the (0-4) Commanders to defeat with a final score of 9-7.

Washington had absolutely no answer for K- Tim Seder.

I remember that game very well. Eric Dickerson was a sideline reporter for MNF at the time, and during the week leading up to the game he said "Father Time has caught up with Emmitt Smith." He had to eat crow after that game. Emmitt was the team's leading rusher and receiver that game. He finished with 107 rushing yards, which would have been around 150 if not for penalties. Oh, and he had the key run to set up Tim Seder's GW field goal.

Thomas82

Reaction score
Doesn’t really have any historical significance, but significant in my memory as it’s the only Commanders Cowboys game I’ve attended-

The 2014 season finale. Was a great game to attend live- we went into the game 11-4 and our playoff position was locked up. We ended up dropping 30+ points on them in a fun win. Was a good time.

We beat them 44-17, and that was also the game where DeMarco Murray broke Emmitt's single season rushing record.

Thomas82

Reaction score
My favorite was in 1991 at RFK. This was the year Washington would go on to win the SB. We took it to them at their home stadium. Emmitt was great. Irvin was great. I'll never forget Jimmy kicking in onside to surprise the Skins. We even scored on a Hail Mary play. Unfortunately, that was the game Troy hurt his knee.

That game really stood out to me. That's when I really felt we were close to winning it all.

That was a very pleasant surprise. The fact that we gave them their first loss of the season made it that much sweeter. One more bonus: We actually won that game wearing the blue jerseys.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
Danny White led 20 point comeback on MNF in 1983 , Commanders were defending champs and would make SB again that year losing to Raiders. Was one of Danny's finest moments and the game was in Washington.
Only bad part of that game was Darrell Green catching my man before he made it into the end zone after a long run.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
I went to the opening MNF on 9/07/92 at Texas Stadium. Had a great time, the atmosphere was electric. Good old Hank Williams Jr was riding around the field in a white convertible Cadillac with some of the gorgeous DC Cheerleaders doing his MNF theme song. Dallas had a long punt return for a TD, the crowd went nuts. Final score was Dallas 23 - Washington 10.

This was the year Dallas got back to being a dynasty, winning the super bowl in January 1993. What a season that was.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Too many games to list (you all have done a great job already, as I've been a fan since I was four in 1976), so I'll just tell a funny story instead that encapsulates this rivalry, and why we're all on the right side of it.

It's 2001/2002ish, and I'm meeting a friend, and fellow Cowboys fan for lunch at the Memphis BBQ restaurant that used to be on Baron Cameron just before Reston Parkway in Reston, VA (DMV). We're sitting down having lunch and in walks Daniel Snyder, Sonny Jurgenson, and several sycophants. They have the AUDACITY to sit at a table right next to us (Snyder's limo parked in front of the entrance the entire time). We were obviously not happy, but what could we do?

Luckily our meal wasn't ruined, but as we left and walked by their table, I paused, tried to make eye-contact with Danny Boy, and said quite loudly, "How 'bout dem COWBOYS!", and pumped my fist a few times. My buddy was cracking up as they sat there and did nothing. Immature? Yes. But I regret nothing, and would do it all over again today. Go Cowboys!

dckid

Reaction score
Went to this game, was sure Emmitt was going to rush for a ton then had to quit playing at around halftime because he drank a supplement Moose gave him which made him sick.

After we left the stadium I somehow got on the wrong highway and was headed to Houston instead of OKC. :laugh:Good times.

Yes I remember this game. We should have won but Emmit got dehydrated at halftime. This is when I knew we were for real. The 1991 season when we made the leap.
Peak Jimmy Johnson.
The second game in RFK when Michael Irvin tore up Darrel Green, Madden made such a big deal about how he dominated Green. The Aikman hailmary going into halftime.
Steve Beurlein coming in to win the game. We ended the undefeated season for the Skins. That was real football!!!

mrmojo

Reaction score
Yes I remember this game. We should have won but Emmit got dehydrated at halftime. This is when I knew we were for real. The 1991 season when we made the leap.
Peak Jimmy Johnson.
The second game in RFK when Michael Irvin tore up Darrel Green, Madden made such a big deal about how he dominated Green. The Aikman hailmary going into halftime.
Steve Beurlein coming in to win the game. We ended the undefeated season for the Skins. That was real football!!!
Man they were just kids in 91...that was a great game and win....Jimmy's onside call was just ballsy.....only negative was Troy getting hurt.

dckid

Reaction score
I was at this game in 1999, My buddy and I took a beating in the stands with Skins fans talking all kinds of trash. The were up 21 in the 4th. Then came this in OT that gave us the ammunition to just go off on those same skins fan from the seat to the parking lot

How can we forget our only win in 1989 against the Skins... who was the running back? Palmer i think..

91-Both great games.
92- Great Opening season Win, we lost the game at RFK, when Jimmy went off on the plane ride back to Dallas. That win probably ignited us to the SB.

93- We lost the game to Pettibone, who took over for Gibbs. No ES. We stomped them in the second game.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I remember Danny White getting hit late and getting into a fight with one of theirs.
It was after he had hurt his wrist...'87 or '88...and it was at RFK.
I remember Eugene Lockhart clownin' with Danny on the sidelines about it...shadow boxing with him.