RELEASED Cowboys waiving K Garibay, expected to sign Maher

phildadon86

Reaction score
Hey, I'm with you to a certain extent. I also wanted Jermaine Johnson, especially since he was there for the pick, but I totally understand now why the Cowboys went with OG/OT Tyler Smith who has looked very good so far in camp. As for the other picks, I'm happy with getting DE Sam Williams late in the 2nd, WR Jalen Tolbert late in the 3rd and TE Jake Ferguson late in the 4th. In my opinion, the Cowboys knocked it out of the park, especially since all 4 positions were positions of need and addressed with all first 4 rounds.

Just appreciate a little bro. Don't be so negative. I hear you, but the Cowboys made some pretty good moves. As for the kicker situation, there were no better kickers available late in the draft. The 2 best kickers in college had already been drafted at that point. I don't know why you liked Dicker the kicker when he wasn't all that while at Texas?
Johnson and Jones would have made this front 7 ELITE. We havent had a DT like Jones in years. And still could have gotten Tolbert. Ferguson was not a need pick at all. They have Schultz. Im happy we got him though because it will be nice to have a TE who can block but Salyer could have immediately started at LG too. So we could have shored up the O and made the defense a more complete unit.

My whole premise of this by the way is to build around Parsons. Because he is a generational talent.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Johnson and Jones would have made this front 7 ELITE. We havent had a DT like Jones in years. And still could have gotten Tolbert. Ferguson was not a need pick at all. They have Schultz. Im happy we got him though because it will be nice to have a TE who can block but Salyer could have immediately started at LG too. So we could have shored up the O and made the defense a more complete unit.

My whole premise of this by the way is to build around Parsons. Because he is a generational talent.
How has Jermaine Johnson looked so far in his team's camp?

rambo2

Reaction score
No. I am complaining because this team is content sitting on their hands in FA year in and year out since Brandon Carr.

You asked me for my idea. I gave it to you. You don't like it so you're attacking me.

You can sit there with a straight face and tell me my ideas don't look a heck of a lot better than what we wound up with and where we are?

I apologize but after how the Cowboys performed in the playoffs I was expecting something. Anything. Not this brutal boring off season. Heck. I would have been happy with the OL coach being fired. Instead. Everyone is fine. Jerry is good. And lets do it again this season.

And please. Dont compare me to that person.
Sitting on their hands? They signed Kearse, Hooker, Watkins, Basham, Fowler, Washington, Barr, and Turpin. How is that sitting on your hands?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Why has this team not aggressively pursued a kicker? It bit us in the *** last year. Greg cost us the Tampa Bay game.

Kicker is a very important position and I’m surprised the team hasn’t figured that out, because it’s been painfully obvious since Bailey left.

terra

Reaction score
Sitting on their hands? They signed Kearse, Hooker, Watkins, Basham, Fowler, Washington, Barr, and Turpin. How is that sitting on your hands?
Just by asking that question you are incapable of understanding the answer.

terra

Reaction score

I recall them talking about Ware like that
Build a D around a certain HOF player is an old routine but a good one.
Except they certainly did not get it done the last time.

As regards Maher, there is literally no one out there available that is any better.

Its pretty hard to get a top kicker that does not get the yips now and then

pitt33

Reaction score
We like our guys. Even the ones we cut.

no one loves the status quo like Big and Little Enos.
Yep

And I’ll say it again until I’m six feet under…

They don’t know what the hell they’re doing when it comes to building a team. Just a rich old man and his son doing it their way.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I 1000000 percent would have brought in Wagner. Or Z'adarius Smith.

Also would have drafted a kicker in the later rounds. And fixed the K position once and for all

I would've gone to lunch with Kate Beckinsale today but she has to want to join me. Smith and Danielle Hunter were talking about teaming up when they played in the Pro Bowl together. Wagner is from LA and wanted to go there. You can't just sign whoever you want because you want them, but it does make it easy to play fantasy GM.

Back to the topic at hand, drafting a kicker isn't a guaranteed solution. Are you getting Sebastian Janikowski or Roberto Aguayo? There's no sure thing. My concern was only bringing in a CFL journeyman and an UDFA and hoping that would be enough. It was a dice roll, at best, and now we're left betting Maher is better now than in 2019.

Maher had a good 2021, well above his career numbers, over 8 games. Either he's improved or it was a short-term hot streak. We'll see.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
There will be about 31 kickers cut before the season starts. Some teams will have a coin flip to decide which kicker they cut.

There are always kickers out there. But unless Maher falls on his face I think he'll be the guy. He's a known commodity, which the Joneses love, and he kicked well in 2021.

It's going to take him some consistently good play to make fans forget his previous time in Dallas. 74%, which he was in Dallas, isn't good enough in this era of football.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are always kickers out there. But unless Maher falls on his face I think he'll be the guy. He's a known commodity, which the Joneses love, and he kicked well in 2021.

It's going to take him some consistently good play to make fans forget his previous time in Dallas. 74%, which he was in Dallas, isn't good enough in this era of football.
My recollection is that with the Cowboys his kicks either looked really good or he missed by a mile.

Kickers can get better.

In addition to general mental issues, even a slight injury can throw them completely out of whack.

Some teams will cut kickers before cut day because agents want their player to move on to a team where he has a chance.
i.e. Early cut does not always mean the player was terrible in camp.