Cowboys Wide Receiver Corps

glimmerman

Reaction score
I never thought Jaylon would be able to come back. sometimes it's good to be wrong. cowboys wouldn't have picked up hurn's option if they weren't getting encouraging news from the medical staff.
He didn’t get a lot of catches but some of them were 3rd down conversions..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not unless he gets injured again. The Cowboys CHOSE to pick up his 2nd year option. If they didn't want him on the team, they would simply have let his contract expire at 4:00 pm on March 13th.
@Nightman did you see any details on the option for Hurns in terms of how much is now guaranteed?

vlad

Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong about hurns, but that made zero sense to me. Anyone who is onboard care to explain?

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong about hurns, but that made zero sense to me. Anyone who is onboard care to explain?

Hurns wasn't that bad of a WR in Jacksonville or in Dallas after Cooper's arrival. He has the talent to be a fine depth WR. He wasn't good enough to be the top guy, but that doesn't mean he sucks too much to be a 3rd or 4th WR.

Since the dead money of cutting him is only around 1.5M, it makes sense to just pick up the option, see what falls your way at WR between now and preseason, and then cut him if he gets pushed down the depth chart further. It's not like we need the cap space so bad that we have to make a choice on him now.

It might even work out that we dont get a WR or we draft a WR that isn't ready as a rookie or someone goes down in training camp, and then cutting Hurns to save money we probably dont need sure would look silly in hindsight.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Intermediate is going to be Coop n Gallup range...KM should use Jarwin for the deeper routes and not hesitate to have #82 stand on the sideline.
Intermediate range outside the numbers was by far Dak's worst depth and area of the field.

Prescott 2018
target: 10-19 yards, outside numbers 54% 522 yd 4 td 3 int 78.5
target: all other areas of the field 69% 3855 yd 20 td 6 int 98.7

And it was *all* about the receiver.

10-19 yards outside numbers only
Beasley/Cooper 72% 194 yd 1 td 0 int 125.6
all others 47% 328 yd 3 td 3 int 62.5

There is hope from the season's last six games though.

Gallup's Catch rate
Target 10-19 yards
Weeks 1-12
21% (3 of 14)
Weeks 13-18
67% (10 of 15)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
@Nightman did you see any details on the option for Hurns in terms of how much is now guaranteed?
None of it is guaranteed but the team truly sees him as the big slot to replace Beasley

They think 5m is cheap and didn't want to risk losing him to FA

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
The Cowboys top needs (in no particular order) are Defensive Line, Safety, Tight End and Running Back. I won't ever be shocked by the Cowboys choosing the best player on their board, but I think their focus, especially considering they spent their 1st round pick on Cooper, will be elsewhere. Randy Gregory's relapse has put them in an awkward position, and the Defensive Line may get more focus.
Considering The team has said over and over their top needs were S and TE. I think TE can be below S with Witten added. I think the team disagrees with you

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Good point. Play Amari Cooper at the slot, and let him use his cutting, speed and quickness. Put Gallup and Wilson on the outside. Get Cooper in motion to give him an even bigger advantage of getting open.
Well, just putting a guy at slot is never just putting a guy at slot.
Many WR1s historically have flat out refused to run across the middle, for the obvious reason, they don't want to get planted.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The team truly sees him as the big slot to replace Beasley.
It might work, but last year for Hurns was a struggle to get separation and develop chemistry with his QB. Last year Hurns was targeted four times on his 47 snaps from the slot. He caught 2 passes for 29 yards.

That doesn't make it an impossible dream, but it's a dream that has no basis in anything that's happened on the field so far.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It might work, but last year for Hurns was a struggle to get separation and develop chemistry with his QB. Last year Hurns was targeted four times on his 47 snaps from the slot. He caught 2 passes for 29 yards.

That doesn't make it an impossible dream, but it's a dream that has no basis in anything that's happened on the field so far.
They are counting on what they saw from him in JAX

TX_Yid

Reaction score
I struggle to understand anyone being satisfied with our current WR group.

Gambling on potential with guys who have been in the league as long as Hurns and Austin have been is a sure fire route to disappointment. They are what they are.

Gallup had a good rookie year and might turn into a decent option, but that’s about all surely?

I don’t get it. We like our guys. But for the life of me, I have no idea why.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Not unless he gets injured again. The Cowboys CHOSE to pick up his 2nd year option. If they didn't want him on the team, they would simply have let his contract expire at 4:00 pm on March 13th.
They can still cut him with no dead cap even after picking up his option according to Broaddus.

We covered our basis and if we find a slot we like more we will move on.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was a hard injury for a WR to come back from. It looked gruesome. I heard he is already working out.
Hard mentally I would think, but physically I don’t think so because I believe it was a clean break that should heal just fine.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This may sound a bit counterintuitive, they have set it on other threats. I would be very intrigued at the possibility of bringing back Dez Bryant. I know some of you may think this is a completely stupid idea and maybe it is. But let me say it this way. Dez Bryant, while he was here, had very bad help for around him for the majority of his career here. He pretty much had Jason Witten and to a small extent Beasley. Now he would have Cooper, Gallup, Witten, Zeke, Wilson, and several others around him. Simply with logic, there is no way that they would double him and also be able to double both Cooper and Gallup. logically somebody very talented would be able to get open quite quickly as they put one on one with the defencive back that they can easily handle. Additionally Dez Bryant would mean that we can rotate our receivers on the given place so that defence is can never know exactly what that receivers going to do on that given play. therefore we become even more unpredictable than we should be with the offensive firepower we currently have. As I sit on other threats, we would go from having one of the best offenses to an extraordinary offense with a receiving group that no NFL team has ever seen. Especially when you factor in Zeke. I think we would be able to score quite a lot of points in that time frame, and Dez could be very helpful to us especially since he wouldn't both know what we're trying to do with our team.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
None of it is guaranteed but the team truly sees him as the big slot to replace Beasley

They think 5m is cheap and didn't want to risk losing him to FA
It's odd to call it an option if there is no guarantee.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
People rushing to cut Hurns need to look at the uncertainty at WR behind Cooper/Gallup. I'm not saying he's a great player by any means but there is literally nothing proven on the back end of the depth chart. With that said, I believe WR is a position that is targeted in the draft.