Cowboys Wide Receiver Corps

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys want a WR corps they can move around, which wasn't possible with Dez and Beas around because they weren't versatile enough to play the other positions. The current version of the WR corps is flexible and can keep defenses on their heels rather than being stifled with man-on-man coverage. Cooper and Gallup will be our main targets downfield but I believe Cedrick Wilson will surprise everyone with his progress. They can all play the slot so look for them to all be switching out on all the WR positions.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's odd to call it an option if there is no guarantee.
Not at all

DAL likes to get 2 year deals on their FAs but they don't want to cut players

If they decline to pick up the option they can still get the magical Comp Pick

These are usually the type of players that can't negotiate any offers so they accept the Team Option.... if they happen to have a breakout year DAL benefits and they miss out.... if they tank then DAL just walks away

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
They can still cut him with no dead cap even after picking up his option according to Broaddus.

We covered our basis and if we find a slot we like more we will move on.
There is 1.25m in Dead Money from his signing bonus last year but there would be no additional charges

Number1

Reaction score
here's the game day 5
  • Tavon Austin - 28 years old
  • Amari Cooper - 24 years old
  • Michael Gallup - 23 years old
  • Allen Hurns - 27 years old
  • Cedrick Wilson, Jr. - 23 years old
Notice everyone of the top 5 have good hands and are all decent to awesome deep threats

here's the top 3 targets
Austin and Huns veteran tools.

note, what the Boys think of Hurns health will impact the draft.
What the Boys think of Wilson will have an even bigger impact on the draft.

They need another deep WR, at a minimum. Frankly, if Wilson doesn't look like a day 1 contributor at X, draft one.
But I think he is. Or at least I suspect he's the best X on this roster right now.

no mistake about it, JG is serious about Dak friendly and "no #1 WR". All 3 of these guys will play X, Y, and Z most games.

I really think JG is fading back to his original play action deep system - and picking up the pace, but with more versatile WRs .

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
here's the game day 5
  • Tavon Austin - 28 years old
  • Allen Hurns - 27 years old
Noah Brown?

Also, why do you assume Wilson will be the third target? I'm hopeful as well that he's a player but for now, he's a 6th rounder who has not proven a thing. I don't see him stealing snaps over a healthy Hurns, Tavon Austin, or Noah Brown.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not at all

DAL likes to get 2 year deals on their FAs but they don't want to cut players

If they decline to pick up the option they can still get the magical Comp Pick

These are usually the type of players that can't negotiate any offers so they accept the Team Option.... if they happen to have a breakout year DAL benefits and they miss out.... if they tank then DAL just walks away

Aah the comp pick.

It's the same as a 2 year contract to the player because the team is not obligated either way but I had not thought about the comp pick issue.

Cool.