Cowboys will get run off field again if no major upgrades at DL

Wood

Reaction score
If I learned one thing after that disastrous loss to Rams in playoffs its this team completely fooled themselves into believing they had talented DL. Since then they have lost Gregory (2nd best pass rusher) and Irving.

I propose two options:

1. Trade Byron Jones for a young high quality starting DT or DE. Jones creates zero turnovers and is due new contract next year. I would pass on extending any DB who is adverse to creating turnovers. Then let Anthony Brown/ Jordan Lewis battle for starting CB opposite Chedo.

2. Sign Ndamukong Suh to a 1 year deal and push Dak next contract into next off-season.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If I learned one thing after that disastrous loss to Rams in playoffs its this team completely fooled themselves into believing they had talented DL. Since then they have lost Gregory (2nd best pass rusher) and Irving.

I propose two options:

1. Trade Byron Jones for a young high quality starting DT or DE. Jones creates zero turnovers and is due new contract next year. I would pass on extending any DB who is adverse to creating turnovers. Then let Anthony Brown/ Jordan Lewis battle for starting CB opposite Chedo.

2. Sign Ndamukong Suh to a 1 year deal and push Dak next contract into next off-season.

Irvin didnt play, so his loss is moot. Gregory is the huge loss. I agree we need a DT, but I dont think they are doing it. The big reason we got run off the field is because they knew when we were stunting. In other words, we got out coached.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score

I propose two options:

That game was lost on coaching, not talent. The Pats were trained not to fall for the motions and deception, our guys weren't. Thats all.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Do NOT be surprised to see them draft someone like Daylon Mack in the 4th-5th round. Classic 1T. He may be a better version of Woods - just needs Woods’ motor.

exciter

Reaction score

I propose two options:

Suh showed up for like one game this year at a 14m pricetag. He was so bad the following week they had him chucking the running back before starting his pass rush. Just paying someone on the reputation of their past at this point with him!

conner01

Reaction score
Suh showed up for like one game this year at a 14m pricetag. He was so bad the following week they had him chucking the running back before starting his pass rush. Just paying someone on the reputation of their past at this point with him!
If Suh wasn’t motivated to play next to the best defensive player in the nfl, what would motivate him
I would touch Suh
A name doesn’t make a player

eromeopolk

Reaction score

I propose two options:

Cowboys have been top 10 versus the rush the last 3 years without Suh, Donald, Watts, etc.

I think the Rams game was an exception and not the rule. The Rams OL told you how it happened: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/...cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

They got out coached which is easy when you are going against Jason Garrett and staff. Cowboys did not change their run stunt keys. Garrett did not change anything on the Cowboys run game which stymied Zeke.

Remember what the DL did to the no.1 rank rushing offense in the wild card game vs. the Seahawks?

Cowboys need a Head Coach that can constantly challenge and be a help to his staff. See Jimmy Johnson background as 4-3 and 3-4 Defensive Coordinator, Tom Landry creator of the 4-3 D, and even Wade Phillips/Bill Parcells 3-4 D. Garrett has no background to offer input...he is just a clapper.

stiletto

Reaction score
The defense just choked down the stretch starting at the home Philly game IMO, had a really great year up until then without Irvin. Mostly horrid safety play was to blame IMO but the pass rush was weak as well.

We need two upgrades on Defense. Another pass rusher with Lawrence and a bonafide cover safety that takes proper angles and makes plays on the football. The defense will be a consistent top 10 unit if that happens. I don't hate the defense it just needs some tweaking and a couple pieces. The DL depth can be improved, it was today already a little.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
As my mom use to say you don't believe fire burns do you when we were younger, the same here. As someone said in another thread, hope they don't think that was a bad game. Between that game and the colts game, they should have come out with all guns a blazing for DT help, no we keep picking backups, thinking what we had last year will cut it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I never say no to a trade until I see the trade. So making up trade for the sake of it is a waste of time. I do agree this team has some work to do up front. Heading into the off season I saw DT as an area we needed some help but now that Gregory screwed us over once again we now must address DE as well.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes to Suh.

I wouldn’t trade away Byron though.

Cant afford Suh.

And you can talk about restructuring all you want but they arent going to do it. They also dont value the DT position enough to spend that kind of money.

Suh is also a slouch. Coasts during the regular season.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Can we trade Wood to ExtremeSkins already? His posts are just pollution.

SackMaster

Reaction score
While I am not suggesting we should not upgrade talent on the DLine, talent, or lack there of, was not the reason why we were ran out of the stadium against the Rams.

So we can upgrade the talent all we want, but if the preparation and game plan is not improved, it won't take too much for another team to put up 200+ yards rushing against our D.