Cowboys will get run off field again if no major upgrades at DL

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Wood, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

7,824 Messages
    4,721 Likes Received
    If I learned one thing after that disastrous loss to Rams in playoffs its this team completely fooled themselves into believing they had talented DL. Since then they have lost Gregory (2nd best pass rusher) and Irving.

I propose two options:

1. Trade Byron Jones for a young high quality starting DT or DE. Jones creates zero turnovers and is due new contract next year. I would pass on extending any DB who is adverse to creating turnovers. Then let Anthony Brown/ Jordan Lewis battle for starting CB opposite Chedo.

2. Sign Ndamukong Suh to a 1 year deal and push Dak next contract into next off-season.

2. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

18,098 Messages
    11,266 Likes Received
    Irvin didnt play, so his loss is moot. Gregory is the huge loss. I agree we need a DT, but I dont think they are doing it. The big reason we got run off the field is because they knew when we were stunting. In other words, we got out coached.

3. Zekeats

Zekeats theranchsucks

6,127 Messages
    6,034 Likes Received
    That game was lost on coaching, not talent. The Pats were trained not to fall for the motions and deception, our guys weren't. Thats all.

ConceptCoop, Sarge, xwalker and 10 others like this.
  4. Ebnorice

Ebnorice Well-Known Member

441 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    Out coach and unprepared for the field conditions.

5. CowboyRoy

18,098 Messages
    11,266 Likes Received
    Bottom line is Garrett is a completely unprepared fool.

Sarge, Manster_Mash, Falco78 and 4 others like this.
  6. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

56,295 Messages
    54,887 Likes Received
    Covington? Hello?

7. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,759 Messages
    1,004 Likes Received
    Do NOT be surprised to see them draft someone like Daylon Mack in the 4th-5th round. Classic 1T. He may be a better version of Woods - just needs Woods’ motor.

Fredbeard likes this.
  8. DakPresgoat

DakPresgoat Well-Known Member

7,726 Messages
    15,597 Likes Received
    Yes to Suh.

I wouldn’t trade away Byron though.

FuzzyLumpkins and ctrous25 like this.
  9. exciter

exciter Well-Known Member

841 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    Suh showed up for like one game this year at a 14m pricetag. He was so bad the following week they had him chucking the running back before starting his pass rush. Just paying someone on the reputation of their past at this point with him!

pancakeman, Roadtrip635, HanD and 5 others like this.
  10. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

12,505 Messages
    9,614 Likes Received
    He didn’t run the defense
    That would be everyone’s dream guy

Jake likes this.
  11. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

12,505 Messages
    9,614 Likes Received
    If Suh wasn’t motivated to play next to the best defensive player in the nfl, what would motivate him
    I would touch Suh
    A name doesn’t make a player

Hawkeye0202, Fastpitch Dad and jjktkk like this.
  12. eromeopolk

eromeopolk Well-Known Member

737 Messages
    819 Likes Received
    Cowboys have been top 10 versus the rush the last 3 years without Suh, Donald, Watts, etc.

I think the Rams game was an exception and not the rule. The Rams OL told you how it happened: https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/...cowboys-tipping-plays-cj-anderson-todd-gurley

They got out coached which is easy when you are going against Jason Garrett and staff. Cowboys did not change their run stunt keys. Garrett did not change anything on the Cowboys run game which stymied Zeke.

Remember what the DL did to the no.1 rank rushing offense in the wild card game vs. the Seahawks?

Cowboys need a Head Coach that can constantly challenge and be a help to his staff. See Jimmy Johnson background as 4-3 and 3-4 Defensive Coordinator, Tom Landry creator of the 4-3 D, and even Wade Phillips/Bill Parcells 3-4 D. Garrett has no background to offer input...he is just a clapper.

13. CowboyRoy

18,098 Messages
    11,266 Likes Received
    But he obviously didnt check the field and have them in the right shoes. And he certainly didnt come up some kind of coaching genius about a tell when they were stunting to win the game. I doubt he analyzed the Rams offense or defense much at all.

14. stiletto

stiletto Well-Known Member

3,284 Messages
    3,406 Likes Received
    The defense just choked down the stretch starting at the home Philly game IMO, had a really great year up until then without Irvin. Mostly horrid safety play was to blame IMO but the pass rush was weak as well.

We need two upgrades on Defense. Another pass rusher with Lawrence and a bonafide cover safety that takes proper angles and makes plays on the football. The defense will be a consistent top 10 unit if that happens. I don't hate the defense it just needs some tweaking and a couple pieces. The DL depth can be improved, it was today already a little.

Sevenup3000 and reddyuta like this.
  15. Cowboysheelsreds053

Cowboysheelsreds053 Well-Known Member

4,800 Messages
    3,206 Likes Received
    As my mom use to say you don't believe fire burns do you when we were younger, the same here. As someone said in another thread, hope they don't think that was a bad game. Between that game and the colts game, they should have come out with all guns a blazing for DT help, no we keep picking backups, thinking what we had last year will cut it.

dogberry, Fredbeard and ChuckA1 like this.
  16. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

13,846 Messages
    8,600 Likes Received
    There is no upgrade coming to the dline let alone a major one. Might actually be a major downgrade coming.

DandyDon52, Fastpitch Dad and RS12 like this.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

94,220 Messages
    19,466 Likes Received
    I never say no to a trade until I see the trade. So making up trade for the sake of it is a waste of time. I do agree this team has some work to do up front. Heading into the off season I saw DT as an area we needed some help but now that Gregory screwed us over once again we now must address DE as well.

Fastpitch Dad and Fredbeard like this.
  18. CowboyRoy

18,098 Messages
    11,266 Likes Received
    Cant afford Suh.

And you can talk about restructuring all you want but they arent going to do it. They also dont value the DT position enough to spend that kind of money.

Suh is also a slouch. Coasts during the regular season.

19. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

31,066 Messages
    6,567 Likes Received
    Can we trade Wood to ExtremeSkins already? His posts are just pollution.

xwalker likes this.
  20. SackMaster

SackMaster Well-Known Member

266 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    While I am not suggesting we should not upgrade talent on the DLine, talent, or lack there of, was not the reason why we were ran out of the stadium against the Rams.

So we can upgrade the talent all we want, but if the preparation and game plan is not improved, it won't take too much for another team to put up 200+ yards rushing against our D.