Cowboys will get run off field again if no major upgrades at DL

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If I learned one thing after that disastrous loss to Rams in playoffs its this team completely fooled themselves into believing they had talented DL. Since then they have lost Gregory (2nd best pass rusher) and Irving.

1) Rams beat us by running.
2) Losing Gregory lost us a pass rusher.
3) Irving barely played last year, so any success we had isn't lost to us by him not playing for us forevermore.

What you should have learned from the Rams was that Marinelli was disastrously out couched yet again in a playoff game.

The players who had a top 5 run defense in the regular season, didn't all of a sudden become bums in one game. They were talented. The ones that remain are young and should only improve, except for Crawford.

I'm feeling better than usual about the DTs. Woods and Ross played well, and Collins should be finally be healthy. But LBs are crazy good.

Right now, Gregory is probably gone, and Lawrence is 50-50. That is a big blow. We'll do something to replace that, but if they're both out, our DEs will be worse this year. That happens. You can't expect to never regress at a position. It's not the end of the world. It doesn't mean we didn't have a talented dline this year, and won't have a decent one next year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
3) Irving barely played last year, so any success we had isn't lost to us by him not playing for us forevermore.

What you should have learned from the Rams was that Marinelli was disastrously out couched yet again in a playoff game.

The players who had a top 5 run defense in the regular season, didn't all of a sudden become bums in one game. They were talented. The ones that remain are young and should only improve, except for Crawford.

I'm feeling better than usual about the DTs. Woods and Ross played well, and Collins should be finally be healthy. But LBs are crazy good.

Right now, Gregory is probably gone, and Lawrence is 50-50. That is a big blow. We'll do something to replace that, but if they're both out, our DEs will be worse this year. That happens. You can't expect to never regress at a position. It's not the end of the world. It doesn't mean we didn't have a talented dline this year, and won't have a decent one next year.
If D-Law don’t play for us then it’s going to be terrible. As of now he is our only edge rusher that is any good. We can’t repace that. All the good ones are already signed. And I don’t see anyone we have making that kind of jump in the offseason.

kskboys

Reaction score

Our run D was 5th.

Overall D was 7th.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
in the rams game the cowboys got out coached as they always do in playoff games when u get run off of the field there is more wrong than the players

Doomsday101

Reaction score
All I am saying is when you don't vary approaches, smart coaching staffs will pick up tendencies and be able to coach their players on how to take advantage of said tendencies.

Feel free to go back and read what the Rams OLine said about easily understanding what the Cowboys DLine was planning on doing any given play in that game.

So again, we can go get whoever is available, on either side of the ball, but if the opposition has keys they can easily read and exploit, our players will have an extremely hard time doing their jobs.

I saw what Ram players said I also know that much of what took place was are own undoing. LB over pursuing allowing cut back lanes that the RB hit for big yards and something I was saying through out the week about CJ Anderson and he was key for Dallas in that game. Richard was shown on sideline getting after Jaylon and LVE, while both had outstanding year they both were over running plays then getting seal off. I don't think that game all of a sudden makes this a bad defense or somehow now the Cowboys will be ran on by other teams.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
If I learned one thing after that disastrous loss to Rams in playoffs its this team completely fooled themselves into believing they had talented DL. Since then they have lost Gregory (2nd best pass rusher) and Irving.

I propose two options:

1. Trade Byron Jones for a young high quality starting DT or DE. Jones creates zero turnovers and is due new contract next year. I would pass on extending any DB who is adverse to creating turnovers. Then let Anthony Brown/ Jordan Lewis battle for starting CB opposite Chedo.

2. Sign Ndamukong Suh to a 1 year deal and push Dak next contract into next off-season.
we had really one bad running game against us and yet that's all some people are remembering.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I saw what Ram players said I also know that much of what took place was are own undoing. LB over pursuing allowing cut back lanes that the RB hit for big yards and something I was saying through out the week about CJ Anderson and he was key for Dallas in that game. Richard was shown on sideline getting after Jaylon and LVE, while both had outstanding year they both were over running plays then getting seal off. I don't think that game all of a sudden makes this a bad defense or somehow now the Cowboys will be ran on by other teams.
I'm really not sure what you are arguing about then. You and I seem to agree that we have enough talent on D to be good. And we seem to agree that the Rams game was a poorly coached game.

So do I believe ANY team will be able to run on the Cowboys like the Rams did? No.

But I do understand that the defense can be exploited, and I believe the majority of that is due to an extremely predictable scheme.

Dallas' D, for all intents and purposes, was pretty good last year. But what may be surprising is the Cowboys Offense, despite being horrible according to some out there, was Top-5 in TOP. Amazing how that works out, even if there is a serious "what came first, the chicken or the egg" argument that can praise either side more than the other.

Even more impressive, both sides of the ball were able to contribute to the other's success with less than creative coaching. So could player talent be better in areas? Yep. But you simply cannot have All-Pros at every position and we were talented enough to win.

Yet to take that next step, the coaching staff needs to do a better job of the following:
  1. Scheming around the players we have
  2. Put Cowboys players in positions/situations they can succeed
  3. Have schemes that are both less predictable and more adaptable
  4. Exploit weakness that other teams show
Until our coaching staff can constantly do those 4 things above, then I will sit and wait for the game or games where the wheels just fall off regardless if we have All-Pros at every position or not.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm really not sure what you are arguing about then. You and I seem to agree that we have enough talent on D to be good. And we seem to agree that the Rams game was a poorly coached game.

So do I believe ANY team will be able to run on the Cowboys like the Rams did? No.

But I do understand that the defense can be exploited, and I believe the majority of that is due to an extremely predictable scheme.

Dallas' D, for all intents and purposes, was pretty good last year. But what may be surprising is the Cowboys Offense, despite being horrible according to some out there, was Top-5 in TOP. Amazing how that works out, even if there is a serious "what came first, the chicken or the egg" argument that can praise either side more than the other.

Even more impressive, both sides of the ball were able to contribute to the other's success with less than creative coaching. So could player talent be better in areas? Yep. But you simply cannot have All-Pros at every position and we were talented enough to win.

Yet to take that next step, the coaching staff needs to do a better job of the following:
  1. Scheming around the players we have
  2. Put Cowboys players in positions/situations they can succeed
  3. Have schemes that are both less predictable and more adaptable
  4. Exploit weakness that other teams show
Until our coaching staff can constantly do those 4 things above, then I will sit and wait for the game or games where the wheels just fall off regardless if we have All-Pros at every position or not.

I don't have an issue overall with the job Marinelli and Richard did this past season. Did Dallas lose in the game yes and if I fired coaches for every time they lost then we would be going through a hell of a lot of coaches. Andy Reid lost, so did a lot of good coaches and coaching staffs. If I had to give this defensive staff a grade on the season I would give them a B+ so while some may want to grade them based on 1 game I look at the overall job they did and with that comes higher expectations.

GMO415

Reaction score
Hahaha we lost Irving?......he didn't even play and was never a factor.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
They were a good regular season run defense. Come playoff time, they were manhandled. They were out coached. They were treated like younger brothers and physically pushed around. None of them had the backside to not get moved out of lanes, and then the 330+ interior guys got free runs to the 240lb LBs and just had to get in the way.
It has happened to Marinelli teams for years, and trying to beat size with quickness only works so far.

At the end of the game, the quickness has slowed but the weight is still there. Just like in Basketball, a 6'7" guy with vertical beats a 7' without, till the end of the game when the 7' is still 7'. Weight, Strength and Leverage win at the LOS, unless quickness is so great that they can't get hands on them.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Getting annihilated by the Rams was a coaching failure more than a talent failure. They knew where our DL was going on every snap and could audible to run through vacated lanes, and our LBs just were not prepared to handle pre-snap motion.

The same run D routinely shut down ground games throughout 2018, so the playoff game looks like an outlier. That's not to say I don't think we need more DL help, but we're a long ways from being run off the field. If the front seven stayed healthy again, we'd field another top ten run D just based on the players we have right now.

What's going to screw us IMO is pass rush. We're back to the Ware days again, where we only have one player who can consistently threaten the QB (if he resigns with us), and a couple of Hatchers here and Spencers there who can kinda get there sometimes. Good OLs will shut the Crawfords and Tacos of the world down and really put our secondary in a tough spot.

Sydla

Reaction score
This thread is a classic case of some fans thinking like our front office - they tend to overvalue what we have.

SackMaster

Reaction score
I don't have an issue overall with the job Marinelli and Richard did this past season. Did Dallas lose in the game yes and if I fired coaches for every time they lost then we would be going through a hell of a lot of coaches. Andy Reid lost, so did a lot of good coaches and coaching staffs. If I had to give this defensive staff a grade on the season I would give them a B+ so while some may want to grade them based on 1 game I look at the overall job they did and with that comes higher expectations.
I try to not knee jerk on the result of a single, good or bad, but it was disheartening to see our team severely out coached once again.

But I will concede this, the "out coached" is not a problem that is isoloated with the defensive coaching staff.Overall, I liked Richard, although I do think there is a legitimate reason why he did not get a HC offer like so many, to include myself, predicted.

Now is this a Bill Parcells/Sean Payton situation where Payton was not given the freedom to run his system? Quite possibly. But as long as Garrett/Marinelli is here, we may never know and will continue to be susceptible to being out coached on any given Sunday, especially in big games.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I try to not knee jerk on the result of a single, good or bad, but it was disheartening to see our team severely out coached once again.

But I will concede this, the "out coached" is not a problem that is isoloated with the defensive coaching staff.Overall, I liked Richard, although I do think there is a legitimate reason why he did not get a HC offer like so many, to include myself, predicted.

Now is this a Bill Parcells/Sean Payton situation where Payton was not given the freedom to run his system? Quite possibly. But as long as Garrett/Marinelli is here, we may never know and will continue to be susceptible to being out coached on any given Sunday, especially in big games.

Marinelli was not calling the defense and has said he does not care about DC title or not, He is interested in helping this team win. Marinelli I think has done a good job with what he has had. We have a dope smoking DE who can't manage to stay on the field so they are constantly looking to fill that role, we have good DT but none were considered star status coming out of college, our FA as many love to point to are dumpster diving players and he has adjusted to that not always pretty with bend but don't break but was not giving up points which in my view is a very big stat. This past season defense went beyond just bend but don't break and while they still have work to do I like what I am seeing from these players and these defensive coaches.

pancakeman

Reaction score
The defense just choked down the stretch starting at the home Philly game IMO, had a really great year up until then without Irvin. Mostly horrid safety play was to blame IMO but the pass rush was weak as well.
They completely stymied the Seattle offense in the game before the Rams.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Run d vs elite rb's?
McCaffrey had 10 carries for 50 yards.
Saquon had 11 carries for 28 yards in game 1. 17 for 109 in game 2.
Kamara/Ingram both got shut down.
Carson (not elite, but he was 5th in rushing last year) had 32 carries for 102 yards in the regular season. 13 carries for 20 yards in the playoffs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
McCaffrey had 10 carries for 50 yards.
Saquon had 11 carries for 28 yards in game 1. 17 for 109 in game 2.
Kamara/Ingram both got shut down.
Carson (not elite, but he was 5th in rushing last year) had 32 carries for 102 yards in the regular season. 13 carries for 20 yards in the playoffs.
SB most of that 109 came from one run was under 3 per yard taking that away..but yes the rams game and maybe the colts game were lost in the trenches but not a true gauge of our team..we can use some help for sure but hopefully the coaches learned from that..