Cowboys will obviously exercise Ezekiel Elliott’s fifth-year option

GMO415

Reaction score
Cowboys will “obviously” exercise Ezekiel Elliott’s fifth-year option
Posted by Josh Alper on April 17, 2019, 2:24 PM EDT

gettyimages-1081704318-1-e1555525431349.jpg

Getty ImagesCowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones updated the status of contract negotiations with wide receiver Amari Cooper and quarterback Dak Prescott this week, but they aren’t the only players on the team with a new deal on the horizon.

Running back Ezekiel Elliott is also in that category, although there’s less urgency on that front. While Cooper and Prescott are both in the final years of their contracts, the Cowboys hold an option on Elliott’s deal for next season. At a Wednesday press conference, Jones saw no reason to play coy about the team’s plans on that front.

“Obviously we’re gonna do it,” Jones said, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News.

As Jones made clear, there was no question that the Cowboys would be picking up the option, which is guaranteed against injury only. The answer to the question of whether Elliott plays out that option or gets a new deal at some point before the 2020 season has a less certain answer.

Kage

Reaction score
Plays this year, Option for next year, franchise tag for the year after....possibly franchise again or at the risk of "being a nerd" they let him walk after 3 more years. I wouldn't mind that.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
If I'm the Joneses, I'm extending him first. Seriously.

His shelf life is shorter than Dak and Amari's, he will be cheaper than Dak and Amari, and he's the most productive player on the team not named Zack Martin.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess they are hoping another rushing title will make him cheaper to resign.

And before the nerds chime in pretending they are going to let him walk.......Stop it.
Guess I am a nerd because no way I would pay a RB the kind of money he's going to want when I can use the difference on my OL and put a good rookie back behind it.

This is not a RB like Emmitt who was a master at avoiding the big hits, he does little to protect himself and while that is fun to watch, 13-15M sitting on the bench or on the bike isn't fun.

So far, the only player I've seen most here are willing to let walk is the CB in a pass happy NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they're going to play it cagey with him and risk him sitting out in 2020 or 21, they need to get in front of that with another back. One thing I think Elliott would find out quickly is the list of teams willing to pay top dollar to a RB is limited. High draft pick? Fine, but not high dollar.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Meaningless.

The only teams not using the option are those who have a guy who really sucks or have a history of injury.

dckid

Reaction score

His shelf life is shorter than Dak and Amari's, he will be cheaper than Dak and Amari, and he's the most productive player on the team not named Zack Martin.
Agree 100%. Let's pay him now while he is in his prime and then let him walk when he is 27,28. Our offensive system will wear him out. No way he will be as productive 4 years for now.
Let's learn from the Eagles and sign him now at a good price, and have him under contract at a mutually happy number.
I would pay Cooper exactly what Allen Robinson got last year. Both have had comparable careers's, actually Robinson has had better numbers.

All of my above logic should translate to paying Dak... man I just don't know how good he is. I can't see paying him as a top 10 QB..

glimmerman

Reaction score
So now SJ is saying this. Before he said he would be paying Elliot a big contract. I thought he was doing it so he would play hard his contract year. Let see how much effort you get from him now. He will set back and collect his checks.

SJ shouldn’t have said this till after this season. He has been in his dads bottle.

superonyx

Reaction score
Guess I am a nerd because no way I would pay a RB the kind of money he's going to want when I can use the difference on my OL and put a good rookie back behind it.

This is not a RB like Emmitt who was a master at avoiding the big hits, he does little to protect himself and while that is fun to watch, 13-15M sitting on the bench or on the bike isn't fun.

So far, the only player I've seen most here are willing to let walk is the CB in a pass happy NFL.
Nerd!

Jumbo075

Reaction score

Of course the Cowboys are going to extend Elliott. But there is no urgency to get it done this offseason. That's a problem to solve next Spring, not this year.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke will be extended this off-season and become the highest paid HB in the NFL.

ksg811

Reaction score
So now SJ is saying this. Before he said he would be paying Elliot a big contract. I thought he was doing it so he would play hard his contract year. Let see how much effort you get from him now. He will set back and collect his checks.

SJ shouldn’t have said this till after this season. He has been in his dads bottle.

The 5th year option deadline is May 2nd. Has absolutely nothing to do with "contract year" or "playing hard".

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cowboys will “obviously” exercise Ezekiel Elliott’s fifth-year option

The answer to the question of whether Elliott plays out that option or gets a new deal at some point before the 2020 season has a less certain answer.

From noise in the last year, sounds like Elliot will hold out rather than play under the option.

We should have been spending mid round picks on RBs. We should do it this year. If nothing else, it reduces Zeke's leverage with a holdout.

conner01

Reaction score

Excersizing the 5th yr option doesn’t stop them from signing him ahead of the year
It’s just part of the process
Getting the guys who can be FA done first is important
I’ve always thought if you want to sign Zeke long term you do it now. My reasoning is the short shelf life of a RB. That way you can get out at 28 or so. And they may still get it done this year but you have to get cooper and Dak done. Then jones
I don’t see his statement as changing their thinking on extending him

John813

Reaction score
IMO if a team declines the 5th year option it's cause the player sucks, or is constantly injured, and isn't worth the decent increase in pay for his position and draft slot.

It comes to no surprise that they would pick up his option, Zeke had to know it way in advance, since the option for the 5th year due date in in 2 weeks. They can still extend him at any time this or next year if they choose too.