Twitter: Cowboys will talk with Dez Bryant

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think they can compromise and do an extension that satisfies both parties.

I feel the same. Originally, Dez flatly indicated he wouldn't settle for a pay cut, period. He now seems less opposed to it. I think he'll take less. In fact, I even heard him mention that possibility publicly for the media a couple of weeks ago.

How much that might lighten the cap for the Cowboys is probably anyone's guess. Anyhow, with Hurns and Thompson signed, the FO s/b in much better position to negotiate with that additional talent leverage on their side now.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Let him play out his contact, if he really wants to be a Cowboy he'll re-sign a realistic contract then.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
I’m all for this. Sign him to a 3 year extension. Lower his cap charges. Give him guaranteed money he doesn’t have in the contract now. Keep him here for his career. He wants to stay a cowboy.
If Dez wanted to stay a cowboy he would do whatever they say!

I've heard more **** talking from this guy than anything.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the obvious solution here. Though Stephen seems pretty adamant about getting a concession on this one. Jerry seemed set on keeping him, though.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. You'd think if they were intending to cut him they'd have had those discussion before the start of FA. Dez ought to have gotten at least the benefit they gave to Scandrick, right? It doesn't seem like a Jerry thing to take one of his pet players and make him sit through the salary cap drying up on everybody's rosters, add two WRs to the roster, and then head into the draft only to turn around and say 'oh, yeah, Dez, we've been meaning to talk to you about your contract...'

I feel the same way.

That's why I expect that they'll play with some money so everybody can't feel good and like they "won" something.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel the same. Originally, Dez flatly indicated he wouldn't settle for a pay cut, period. He now seems less opposed to it. I think he'll take less.

How much that might lighten the cap for the Cowboys is probably anyone's guess. Anyhow, with Hurns and Thompson signed, the FO s/b in much better position to negotiate with that additional talent leverage on their side now.

I'll call @Nightman in on this one. I know he's worked out some restructure scenarios already.

(And he lives for this ****!)
;)

robjay04

Reaction score
Nope.

I wish the Hurns money would've been spent on a quality Guard.

It makes sense but the receivers on this team don’t fit Dak’s skillset.

We need more shifty receivers that get open on their quickness.

robjay04

Reaction score
Maybe not. They could be waiting to see how the draft plays out.

When have you ever known he Cowboys to do a player wrong under Jerry Jones? Especially a marquee player.

Cutting him after the draft will limit where Dez will play next season and how much money teams have to offer. I just can’t see Jerry signing off on doing that to a player he thinks of as highly as Dez.

jrumann59

Reaction score
If they want him to take a pay cut and he refuses he likely will be released.
Due to the suspicious nature of TWills injury I think he could be candidate for release. It happened away from the team and could fall under NFI.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It makes sense but the receivers on this team don’t fit Dak’s skillset.

We need more shifty receivers that get open on their quickness.

We have those types of guys but out wide a guy like Dez who can make big plays down the sideline to stretch the defense is also needed.

We do need to decompress the field more so a real threat to compliment everything we do would be nice.

I'm just not worried about it. As long as we run the ball more then any other team and have a scheme that doesn't try to get players in YAC situations then I just don't care a lot about the position.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Due to the suspicious nature of TWills injury I think he could be candidate for release. It happened away from the team and could fall under NFI.

They save nothing by cutting him though. No reason to do anything with him this year, unless it is via trade.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
if they call it a NFI how does that affect his pay for this year.

I don't believe it effects the salary CAP. I suppose they could cut him after June 1st and push 1/2 his contract into next season.

I would hate to see them do that though. There are other contracts that can be redone if they really needed the CAP space. No reason to have dead money if you don't need to.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

The Cowboys won’t disclose what the injury is so anything is possible but Hurns hasn’t been able to stay healthy so we have to keep Twill around. The draft could determine what we do. Dez’s future is up in the air so if we release him, Twill won’t be going anywhere for awhile. Can’t just release our two starting WRs from last year.