Twitter: Cowboys will talk with Dez Bryant

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It makes sense but the receivers on this team don’t fit Dak’s skillset.

We need more shifty receivers that get open on their quickness.

Dak is limited delivering in his long ball accurately right now. He'll probably always lean more to the shorter routes than the intermediate or long and that's fine, as long as he has receivers capable of getting open in a heartbeat but can win on speed as well. I think we will probably seek another promising WR upgrade in the upcoming draft to develop and refine an eventual long-term replacement for Dez. Hurns is on a 2-year contract.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I don't believe it effects the salary CAP. I suppose they could cut him after June 1st and push 1/2 his contract into next season.

I would hate to see them do that though. There are other contracts that can be redone if they really needed the CAP space. No reason to have dead money if you don't need to.
here is one thing I found as it pertained to the 2014 49ers.

One notable difference between the NFI and PUP lists is that the team has the right to not pay base salary to a player on the NFI list. The idea is that if a player suffered his injury outside the purview of the team, they should not be responsible for his salary. However, teams will often work out deals with NFI players to pay some or all of their salary when there is a common understanding about the injury. This is particularly true with players who the team knows will go on the NFI list upon arrival to the team.

robjay04

Reaction score
Dak is limited delivering in his long ball accurately right now. He'll probably always lean more to the shorter routes than the intermediate or long and that's fine, as long as he has receivers capable of getting open in a heartbeat but can win on speed as well. I think we will probably seek another promising WR upgrade in the upcoming draft to develop and refine an eventual long-term replacement for Dez.

I’m not comparing him to Brady...he’s not even in the same galaxy but..

Brady thrives with smaller, quick receivers who rely on quickness and a tight end that is a playmaker. That is what I envision as the perfect setup for Dak.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
here is one thing I found as it pertained to the 2014 49ers.

It is good info, I am not positive on this, but I don't believe this can be applied until the season starts. He should be ready to go by than.

jrumann59

Reaction score
It is good info, I am not positive on this, but I don't believe this can be applied until the season starts. He should be ready to go by than.
true but doesn't the team decide when a guy can come off the NFI/PUP list...

Verdict

Reaction score
I do not think it is prudent to restructure Dez' contract with no salary reduction (real dollars, not just kicking the can own the road). I would not extend his contract to increase the team's obligation to Dez. The team gains nothing by that.

I don't think that a restructure without a salary reduction would happen, bucause if the team wanted to do that they would have done it already.

The fact that Dez hasn't been restructured for several years at least suggests that the Cowboys have been keeping the option open to move on from Dez for several years. Who knows what will actually happen.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
true but doesn't the team decide when a guy can come off the NFI/PUP list...

That is a good question, but imagine the NFLPA might file a complaint if you try to leave a guy on the NFI list, and not pay him when he is healthy.

jrumann59

Reaction score
That is a good question, but imagine the NFLPA might file a complaint if you try to leave a guy on the NFI list, and not pay him when he is healthy.
They did it with DMC.

Dallas could use the NFI as a negotiation ploy lower his guaranteed money this year and move some of it to next year.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team will still have a conversation with Dez Bryant regarding the wide receiver's contract but "it's not time yet." He said the additions of Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson are about driving up competition at receiver.

Yeah... Guess I was just blowing smoke huh...

:popcorn:

I don't expect many response to this especially now that your golden boy is "officially" going to be spoken to...

Not directing that at you RS.... That message is strictly for the members of the DHC.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hope.

I'm a Dez fan. I know the cool thing to do is to hate on him right now and want him off the team but I don't think there is a Dez problem. I think it's a poor coaching and a QB problem as well.

Dez has to fix the dropped balls though but Dez dropping passes at the rate he did this year was a fluke.
Nothing “cool” about hating on Dez. The reason is he’s averaged 50 catches a year since he signed his contract. One that pays him 13mil a year. And last year was just a total disaster for him with all the crying over catches and then dropping passes at critical times. Or fumble. The only route he was any good at was the go route and throw it up and let him get it. He’s definitely no A. Brown.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
DHC - Dak Haters Club

Surprisingly large membership population.

Sad

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I’m not comparing him to Brady...he’s not even in the same galaxy but..

Brady thrives with smaller, quick receivers who rely on quickness and a tight end that is a playmaker. That is what I envision as the perfect setup for Dak.

I'll be sorely disappointed if we don't get at least one WR at some point in the draft. I'm not totally sure we have a TE in house to help him much outside of Witten. Rico seems very talented in some respects and a mystery in others. Jarwin Blake is probably a much better receiver than blocker right now. Blocking might be the holdup with his limited action. Also, it would seem likely that mastering the offense would come a lot easier for him this year.

Last edited:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Yup. He will get extended and cap hit reduced. I think that's what is happening

What if he refuses........especially if his agent is convinced he can get more guaranteed $$$ on the open market. If we can't assure Dez he's part of a long-term plan, I'm not sure he will extend. Basically forcing them to leave his contract intact or cut him. Stephen says now is not the time.......expect this to be settled BEFORE vets offseason programs start although I'm not sure when that is.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
They did it with DMC.

Dallas could use the NFI as a negotiation ploy lower his guaranteed money this year and move some of it to next year.

McFadden still got paid and was injured at the start of the season.

foofighters

Reaction score
I used to think the contract was bad.. Then Free Agency happened.

Dez is currently underpaid at the going rate.

You could just move on from him all together but this fan base and media won't be able to grasp how irrelevant a bigtime #1 WR is so they will harp on the Cowboys about it until they go get another guy that they won't use correctly.
lol, Dez hasn't been relevant in how many years?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'll start by saying anything could happen, cause we only "know" what we have been told. But from what we have been told & can piece together, it sure seems someone is tired of him. Stephen seems to be determined to make sure he knows he is no longer untouchable.

Either that or Stephen is really playing poker to get him to accept a pay cut and perhaps humble\motivate him. Swinging for Watkins should have left no doubt in Dez's mind that they were prepared to cut or trade him.

It doesn't feel like an extension that would bind them to him longer is what Stephen is angling for.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
"it's not time yet" leads me to believe WR is top priority on their draft list.

:popcorn:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'll call @Nightman in on this one. I know he's worked out some restructure scenarios already.

(And he lives for this ****!)
;)
@Bullflop

If they gave Dez a 3yr/25m extension and guaranteed the full 25m he is due the next 2 years it could work

It would be a new 5yr/50m deal which is a paycut disguised as an extension

He gets more gtd money and we get lower cap hits and a new series of team options in 2020-22

It would lower his cap hit from 16.5m to 9m this year

Base..................Cap Hit
1m.......................9m(20m signing bonus)
4m.......................12m
10m.....................14m
8m.......................12m
7m.......................11m

khiladi

Reaction score

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team will still have a conversation with Dez Bryant regarding the wide receiver's contract but "it's not time yet." He said the additions of Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson are about driving up competition at receiver.

So when are they going to be talking about competition for the head coaching spot?