Twitter: Cowboys will talk with Dez Bryant

RS12

Reaction score
I'll take Stevie at face value and believe this isnt strictly about the percent of the cap Dez takes up. I do believe his future hangs in the balance of the draft and maybe even the trade market.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
So Stephens update is there is no update........That's some helpful information right there.
And if he outright told everyone, then everyone is up in arms that we’re overly transparent. Can’t win for losing.

LittleD

Reaction score
LOL. Dez byrant for 4 million when Sammy Watkins is making 16. You guys make me laugh.

Sammy is not worth anywhere near that much money either. There are foolish teams out there with entirely to much money burning a hole in their pockets. I'm so glad he went elsewhere.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I know I am in the minority, but of the pass catchers I think Witten was more of a problem than Dez.
Wit excels at running routes, getting separation and catching the ball.

The only problem Wit has is that he gets 0 yac and doesn't get down field.

Dez is the anti Wit. But, they are BOTH problems. We've kicked the Wit one down the road. I hope we don't do the same with Dez.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Sammy is not worth anywhere near that much money either. There are foolish teams out there with entirely to much money burning a hole in their pockets. I'm so glad he went elsewhere.
But Dallas put in an offer close to or on par with what he got....

LittleD

Reaction score
But Dallas put in an offer close to or on par with what he got....

Doesn't make the Dallas FO that smart either, right? Actually, when Romo was in his prime, T.O. was worth his money. Dez not
so much the last 3 years.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If they wait until May/June, many teams have used most of their free agent budget and most teams that needed a WR either signed free agents or drafted a WR.

The cap ramifications would prevent them from re-signing him if he is cut, which means he is taking his chances in the market without the Cowboys offer to fall back on.
Exactly right. The FA money will be gone and Stephen will have all the leverage. If they want to keep him, offer him a 4mil base with all the rest in incentives. I would use games and percentage of snaps played, touchdowns, catches over 80 as the incentives. Stipulation that there will be significant fines for any additional tantrums on the sidelines.
There is a cumulative of 614m left in cap room league wide

That is around 20m per team and that is not running dry this season or next

A guy like Dez moves the meter and sells tickets.....he would have a market

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@Bullflop

If they gave Dez a 3yr/25m extension and guaranteed the full 25m he is due the next 2 years it could work

It would be a new 5yr/50m deal which is a paycut disguised as an extension

He gets more gtd money and we get lower cap hits and a new series of team options in 2020-22

It would lower his cap hit from 16.5m to 9m this year

Base..................Cap Hit
1m.......................9m(20m signing bonus)
4m.......................12m
10m.....................14m
8m.......................12m
7m.......................11m

Nice work once again.
:thumbup:

BlindFaith

Reaction score
LOL. Dez byrant for 4 million when Sammy Watkins is making 16. You guys make me laugh.
The Chiefs should make you laugh. They way over paid for Hitchens and Watkins.

Dez is probably worth about what Nelson got. 7-8

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Dez is the anti Wit. But, they are BOTH problems. We've kicked the Wit one down the road. I hope we don't do the same with Dez.
If Dez ran the routes that Wit runs he would dominate against LBs..... they should take Witten off the field on long third downs and let Dez play TE

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I used to think the contract was bad.. Then Free Agency happened.

Dez is currently underpaid at the going rate.

You could just move on from him all together but this fan base and media won't be able to grasp how irrelevant a bigtime #1 WR is so they will harp on the Cowboys about it until they go get another guy that they won't use correctly.
I thought the same thing too. He's basically on a 2 year 25 million dollar deal? That doesn't sound nearly as bad as some deals out there.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why Jerry makes crazy deals and overpays. Fans would rather overpay a declining player and watch the team fail. I love Witten and enjoyed watching Dez in his heyday. But the truth is not only does either get separation, Witten struggles to reach his blocks, and Dez simply does not fight for the ball like he once did, nor can he jump as high. So yeah, time for Witten to take 50% plays off and Dez can rejuvenate his career elsewhere.

cern

Reaction score
pay dez what his performance the last 3 years dictates. though I doubt he would take such a low offer.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a cumulative of 614m left in cap room league wide

That is around 20m per team and that is not running dry this season or next

A guy like Dez moves the meter and sells tickets.....he would have a market

It's not so much about actual 2018 cap space. Obviously most teams can make cap space if absolutely needed.

It's about the GM's budget at the WR position.

Teams that have a legit #1 WR or something close to one are likely not going to sign Dez.

Teams that just drafted a WR early might but it's unlikely unless their best existing veteran is terrible.

Bad teams don't really need an older high priced WR because they're basically rebuilding.

Several GMs/Coaches and even some owners don't like to pay big money to players known to have character issues and known to create distractions that cause a lot of media attention.

The team that had the most issues with selling tickets has been Jacksonville. They have the least cap space over the next 3 years of any team.

Anything is possible. Much of the decision would be based on the agents feedback of the expected market for him if cut.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The combination of Dez/Witten/Hurns does not make sense. Dez/Witten are slow and Hurns is not a speed WR.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I thought the same thing too. He's basically on a 2 year 25 million dollar deal? That doesn't sound nearly as bad as some deals out there.
Dez has the 3rd highest cap hit of All WRs for this year. His average contact value is 275,000 less than Julio Jones. And ranks him 9th.

Hes half the player of Jones and shouldn't even be sniffing top 10 money in any category.