Twitter: Cowboys will talk with Dez Bryant

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If Dez ran the routes that Wit runs he would dominate against LBs..... they should take Witten off the field on long third downs and let Dez play TE
He clearly had issues in traffic.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score

Not everyone agrees with me on every subject and I surely wouldn't expect them to.

We've seen Dez's many instances of non-productivity in the last few years to know.

If his salary were to be reduced to better reflect his true value to the club, it'd help.

visionary

Reaction score
This is the obvious solution here. Though Stephen seems pretty adamant about getting a concession on this one. Jerry seemed set on keeping him, though.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. You'd think if they were intending to cut him they'd have had those discussion before the start of FA. Dez ought to have gotten at least the benefit they gave to Scandrick, right? It doesn't seem like a Jerry thing to take one of his pet players and make him sit through the salary cap drying up on everybody's rosters, add two WRs to the roster, and then head into the draft only to turn around and say 'oh, yeah, Dez, we've been meaning to talk to you about your contract...'

If the cowboys seriously intend to compete this year then we need an engaged and disciplined Dez. But it can't be a guy who can't adjust to defenses, does not have his head in the game and is a hot head

robbieruff

Reaction score
It's about time...he's been with the team since 2010 for cryin' out loud!?! Enough with the silent treatment!?! :angry:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Dez needs a little competition plus I just read that T Will had surgery for a broken foot in February and will need time. The FO would have known that when signing Hurns.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I used to think the contract was bad.. Then Free Agency happened.

Dez is currently underpaid at the going rate.

You could just move on from him all together but this fan base and media won't be able to grasp how irrelevant a bigtime #1 WR is so they will harp on the Cowboys about it until they go get another guy that they won't use correctly.

Yup, as this offseason has occurred, I don't see why we should let go of him or take a paycut at this point. A, what more do we need with cap space? Who else is out there that we could legitimately pick up that'll start day 1 in terms of FA (And don't say Suh, because I don't think he'd fit here with Marinelli)? B., like Catch17 said, it's actually reasonable now given the current going rate for receivers. If we need to cut him, wait till next year. I actually want to see what he can do with a receiver like Hurns lining up opposite him.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yup. He will get extended and cap hit reduced. I think that's what is happening

I'd actually be fine with that, especially if that gives us more cap space availability such as future restructuring. Like I said, I don't see what else we could need from the FA market (other than maybe Tre Boston). I'd rather we just pack it in, call it a FA, and go into the draft.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You mean from 2015 when he was injured and had no QB.

or 2016 when he had a rookie QB, but still went for 800 yard and 15 + average?

or 2017 when all WR numbers were down on the team?

You like him, I don't. He'll only continue to have problems with Dak and vice-versa. They don't mix well.

Changes are coming, if not this year, then next. Now is the right time to prepare yourself, I do believe.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
You like him, I don't. He'll only continue to have problems with Dak and vice-versa. They don't mix well.

Changes are coming, if not this year, then next. Now is the right time to prepare yourself, I do believe.

I don't agree. Dak and Dez were putting it together in the latter half of 2016. I think they can get there.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I hope.

I'm a Dez fan. I know the cool thing to do is to hate on him right now and want him off the team but I don't think there is a Dez problem. I think it's a poor coaching and a QB problem as well.

Dez has to fix the dropped balls though but Dez dropping passes at the rate he did this year was a fluke.

I agree. I think coaching is the issue along with his receiver supporting cast. You can only do so much with 1 legitimate receiver threat. Beasley is good, but how often did Dak even look his way as opposed to guys like TWill? And how does TWill help Dez? At least, now that we have Hurns and Thompson, we have receivers that can legitimately help Dez and Dak. Hurns is a smart player. Thompson has speed. Thus, those two can compliment Dez nicely. Then there's Witten who is still reliable catching the ball when needed. So, I think his supporting cast has improved which can only help him and Dak. I'm all for drafting a WR, but, as I've said, I'd rather do it later in the draft like round 4.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't agree. Dak and Dez were putting it together in the latter half of 2016. I think they can get there.

Exactly, and Dez will now have a better supporting cast of receivers around him. He should have an easier time connecting with Dak with the likes of Hurns around him.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
He ain't going nowhere. I can see that if he does get released/traded then play out his mind, the crying and crow-eating on this board would be hilarious...

Mark my words, if he gets on a team like the Chargers with Philip Rivers, he WILL have those kinds of numbers.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Mark my words, if he gets on a team like the Chargers with Philip Rivers, he WILL have those kinds of numbers.
No he wouldn't. He'd be their number two at best. And you think Rivers would take 1 second of his outbursts?

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
A good organization that's goal is to win should see the player declining before the stock drops and trade while value is still high. How many buyers are out there now?