Twitter: Cowboys will talk with Dez Bryant

conner01

Reaction score
The threat of cutting him would be leverage, and even if it weren't, that doesn't prohibit them talking to him and trying to work something out to restructure to free up cap space.
I don’t think the threat of cutting him is much of a threat considering he would be signed in a week and in the long run would make more money

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I don’t think the threat of cutting him is much of a threat considering he would be signed in a week and in the long run would make more money

+100 ....a month ago, yea but the market took care that in his fav. Hell to cut now would almost be doing him a favor other than him WANTING to play for Cowboys.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I used to think the contract was bad.. Then Free Agency happened.

Dez is currently underpaid at the going rate.

You could just move on from him all together but this fan base and media won't be able to grasp how irrelevant a bigtime #1 WR is so they will harp on the Cowboys about it until they go get another guy that they won't use correctly.

Just cut him and lets get it over with.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It may not be perfect as leverage, but if people refused to try to make deals unless they had an ideal leverage situation a lot of deals would never get done. I think Dez wants to stay in Dallas, and there is uncertainty with getting cut in late April or May when many of the teams that really need WR's may have addressed their needs through the draft or free agency, and their salary cap situation may already be locked in, so I don't see it as an impossible situation. Ultimately, there is nothing to be lost by talking to him, and deals don't always require hostility to get done.

conner01

Reaction score
It may not be perfect as leverage, but if people refused to try to make deals unless they had an ideal leverage situation a lot of deals would never get done. I think Dez wants to stay in Dallas, and there is uncertainty with getting cut in late April or May when many of the teams that really need WR's may have addressed their needs through the draft or free agency, and their salary cap situation may already be locked in, so I don't see it as an impossible situation. Ultimately, there is nothing to be lost by talking to him, and deals don't always require hostility to get done.
I don’t see any harm in it but I don’t see him taking a pay cut either
Time will tell

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t see any harm in it but I don’t see him taking a pay cut either
Time will tell

It may not be have to be a pay cut - maybe just a restructure would help. And remember, he was signed to this contract coming off a 1,320 yard, 16 TD season, so his leverage as a free agent was at it's peak at that time. He hasn't had a top season since. Of course, prices are higher now than they were then, but I think Dez is pretty widely perceived as having his best days behind him, and he may not want to deal with a new negotiation with a new team on that basis.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team will still have a conversation with Dez Bryant regarding the wide receiver's contract but "it's not time yet." He said the additions of Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson are about driving up competition at receiver.

Odd. On March 3rd ABC reported of Jerry
He said a meeting with Bryant would happen "probably in the immediate future."​
http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/jerry-jones-meeting-dez-bryant-future/story?id=53491313

"The time" will be after we've seen what we get in the draft. If we call Ridley's name, Dez is gone.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
However, if anything I think the Cowboys might be starting to realize (hopefully) that WR is not a premium position, especially in this offense. They barely skipped a beat in 2016 when Dez was out. Having 2 or 3 solid WRs that are affordable allows them to spend money else where.
I wish it were so, but the supposed serious big money offer to Sammy Watkins suggests otherwise.

Maybe we'll draft Ridley, cut Dez, and just luck into a change in philosophy if we look successful with what we've got this year.

Looking back, Jerry has almost always had, or at least tried to have, a dominant #1.

Dre11

Reaction score
Whatever. You keep Dez and I'll take Jones.

Care to put up yards, catches and drops?

Lol..you might not, Jones has more drops than Dez in 2017...Lol
He had 19 more catches than Dez on 16 more targets 3 less Tds than Dez. That’s with Matty Ice.

Last edited:

Proof

Reaction score

In that players are selfish for wanting the money owed them in a contract. This isn’t mlb or nba where contracts are guaranteed and handed out like candy. Obviously there are certain expectations that go along with a contract but if it’s not explicitly stated or made in the form of incentives, then the money owed is due regardless. When he was tearing up the league on a rookie desk they weren’t tripping over themselves to adjust his pay or extend him early, and him simply wanting what he’s owed isn’t selfish or anything of the sort. The only time I advocate a player potentially taking less or restructuring is when it’s a qb who’s already made a monster contract or two

cern

Reaction score
Dez is likely to get no more than a one year deal, incentive based. He's done very little the last 3 years to warrant much else.

jnday

Reaction score
Maybe not. They could be waiting to see how the draft plays out.
The meeting between Stephen\ Jerry and Dez when improving his route running was discussed was supposed to insure that Dez would be with the team this year. I don't think the signing of a couple average free agents will change anything unless Dez refuses to work with the WR coach on his route running.