Twitter: Cowboys will talk with Dez Bryant

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Dez Bryant should not take a penny less. The Jones family owns the most valuable franchise in sports. It’s not Dez Bryant’s job to manage the cap.

He is crazy if he agrees to playing for lower pay. He has the upper hand, if he is cut Dallas gets worse and Dez will have a new team in 48 hours.

The Jones family flaunts their wealth in everyone’s face 24/7 and they would never take a pay cut or less money. No reason Dez should either. I hope he stands his ground and tells Stephen no. Cut me or pay me.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think they can compromise and do an extension that satisfies both parties.

Agreed..................there are ways to structure a pay cut in the NFL without embarrassing the players

How? Typically they do an "extension" whereby extra years are added to the contract with lower base salaries and the difference is usually added in as incentives.

GMO415

Reaction score

Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the team will still have a conversation with Dez Bryant regarding the wide receiver's contract but "it's not time yet." He said the additions of Allen Hurns and Deonte Thompson are about driving up competition at receiver.

giphy.gif

cern

Reaction score
The longer the cowboys wait to begin negotiating with dez, the more it is to their advantage..

Zordon

Reaction score
Dez Bryant should not take a penny less. The Jones family owns the most valuable franchise in sports. It’s not Dez Bryant’s job to manage the cap.

He is crazy if he agrees to playing for lower pay. He has the upper hand, if he is cut Dallas gets worse and Dez will have a new team in 48 hours.

The Jones family flaunts their wealth in everyone’s face 24/7 and they would never take a pay cut or less money. No reason Dez should either. I hope he stands his ground and tells Stephen no. Cut me or pay me.
Dez has the upper hand. One day in Oxnard will tell you that. He's treated like a king there. No other player gets more love, not even close. I know Jerry knows this. Dez is a cash cow for him. Jerry also has a lot of emotional attachment to Dez. I recall him getting emotional on Ben and Skin 2 years ago recounting a story about Dez. The guy was in tears on the radio lol.

That being said, I think Dez will take a cut. The Jones family know how much playing for the Cowboys means to Dez. He's now a shrewd cold business guy like Scanrdick. The star really means something to him. Dez also has a high-maintenance family and many friends in South Dallas. This is home for him, now and in retirement. The Jones family knows this. They'll use all these cards against him.

aria

Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.

Hate on Dez all you want, he plays with passion.
Too bad passion doesn’t win SB’s nor does dropping balls.

I’m surprised how many people want to extend his contract. Time to put Dez out to pasture IMO. Thanks for your services but it’s time to move on Dez.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
I think Stephen tells Dez to take a paycut restructure for less or tells Dez to seek a trade with someone. thats my take.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez has the upper hand. One day in Oxnard will tell you that. He's treated like a king there. No other player gets more love, not even close. I know Jerry knows this. Dez is a cash cow for him. Jerry also has a lot of emotional attachment to Dez. I recall him getting emotional on Ben and Skin 2 years ago recounting a story about Dez. The guy was in tears on the radio lol.

That being said, I think Dez will take a cut. The Jones family know how much playing for the Cowboys means to Dez. He's now a shrewd cold business guy like Scanrdick. The star really means something to him. Dez also has a high-maintenance family and many friends in South Dallas. This is home for him, now and in retirement. The Jones family knows this. They'll use all these cards against him.
They cut Emmitt.

They cut Romo.

They cut Aikman because of money. Aikman was due a 10M bonus in March. He wanted to attempt to play again; although I think he now claims he was definitely done.

mardwin

Reaction score
Nothing to talk about, get rid of the guy is not like they are cutting Antonio Brown or Julio Jones. This is a power running football team that requires precise route running from their WRs to be effective on play action and Dez Bryant doesn't provide that. I don't understand why all the unnecessary controversy, this is not rocket science. Dez has been erratic and inefficient the last few years under the current QB. Why the hell would they want to keep him, to continue to try and force him the ball?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Nothing to talk about, get rid of the guy is not like they are cutting Antonio Brown or Julio Jones. This is a power running football team that requires precise route running from their WRs to be effective on play action and Dez Bryant doesn't provide that. I don't understand why all the unnecessary controversy, this is not rocket science. Dez has been erratic and inefficient the last few years under the current QB. Why the hell would they want to keep him, to continue to try and force him the ball?
I like how you guys pretend to know what type of team this when the coaching staff itself doesn't even know.

Zordon

Reaction score
They cut Emmitt.

They cut Romo.

They cut Aikman because of money. Aikman was due a 10M bonus in March. He wanted to attempt to play again; although I think he now claims he was definitely done.
Different circumstances. If they had a surefire replacement like they did with Romo or if the team wasn't competitive like with Emmitt, then I believe they would consider just cutting him.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I agree completely and also don’t believe we automatically get worse by losing Dez. Didn’t, Dez only catch around 52% of the passes thrown to him which was one of the worst catch %’s in the league last year. Didn’t Dez come close to, if not, lead the league in dropped passes last year? Didn’t we continue to win when Dez was injured and not playing? Don’t we save 6-8 million if Dez is released this year ? Can that money go toward a quality Safety or LB which will help us get better? There is no way I would extend Dez’s contract. Last year, Dez had every opportunity to prove himself. He never consistently got seperation. What makes fans think that will magically change this coming season ? In all fairness, I do think, Garrett’s predictable passing offense does affect everyone on our O negatively, but I still think Dez has lost a step.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think both sides will sit down and work out a compromise on his contract. Maybe give him an extra year, but guarantee his salary this year or something. There are ways to make adjustments to contracts that don't embarrass the player in the lockerroom or in the media.

With that said, I think there will be some conditions given. Like, he has to improve his route running and knowledge of the route tree, he has to keep his head in the game and stop talking trash with DBs, he has to act professional during the games and not throw temper tantrums because he is not getting enough touches so Dak ends up forcing him the ball just to shut him up, ect...

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

I hope he stands his ground to and I hope, Stephen or Jerry, cuts him and we take the savings and pickup a solid LB or DT in FA. This team has focused on the O for years, it’s about time to focus on the D!!