Cowboys win if teams switch coaching staffs

phildadon86

Reaction score
The Cowboys could give up 80 points in a game and some here would give Richard a pass. But when they do well, it's because of Richard.

How about we put a statue of him outside of the stadium already?
He gets a pass from me for coming in here and telling our stubborn FO and coaching staff that Byron Jones isnt a safety.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
If the Rams and Cowboys had switched coaching staffs in March, the Cowboys would win the game.

OLine
I'll take the Cowboys players.

The individual players on the Rams OLine are OK but several of them struggled in the past with other coaches.

WR
Aikman loves the Rams WRs but he loves Amari Cooper even more and Aikman was one of the most critical QBs in regards to his expectations of WRs that I've ever seen. I saw him in training camp berating Kevin Williams for being 1 foot off from his expected break spot.

TE
Is Tyler Higbee as great player?

RB
Zeke in that scheme would have had 400 yards against the Cowboys DLine scheme.

QB
Dak did more with far far inferior coaching/scheme. The Rams coaches would exploit defenses with the threat of Dak running and would probably have better plays when he rolls out.

DLine
This is where the Rams clearly have more talent. Suh and Donald; however, the Cowboys DLine had a decent year but struggled with the Rams blocking and misdirection offensive scheme. Apparently, the Rams coaches also spent enough time review film to know all of the Cowboys DLine tendencies.

LBs
I'll take the Cowboys players but they can't do much when the DLine is getting gashed due to being out schemed.

CBs
I'll take the Cowboys players.

Safety
The Rams Safeties don't seem that great. I'll give them a slight nod over the Cowboys Safeties especially with Heath playing with 1 hand (Is his wrist straining or broken?).

Summary: Only Kris Richard gets a pass from me. The coverage was much improved this season and decent in the Rams game until they DBs had to start cheating up against the run because the DLine was getting gashed.

The difference between 16 games in the season, the WC game and the Rams game? In 16 games and the WC game the LB'ers cleaned up after the D-line in the running game and in the Ram's game they didn't. LVE got washed out of too many plays. He had a rough night disengaging from his blocker (s). He picked the wrong game to play his poorest game of the season. The Ram's did a great job of taking LVE out of the game. Learn and move on

dckid

Reaction score
If McVay was coaching the Cowboys and Garrett was coaching the Rams who wins?
If Jerry can honestly answer this question and any Garrett supporters can be honest we have something to build on.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Cowboys could have won by 50 and I'd still take McVay

dckid

Reaction score
My honest answer is the Cowboys win with McVay, and I love Garrett..
Thank you for the honesty.
McVay easily gets us to Championship game and probably SB. To me that is why he is worth his weight in gold.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I honestly don’t think JG had much to do with it. He may could have over rode a play call of Linehan or called a time out different but other than that he don’t do much. He even stopped clapping. He went for it on all 4th downs. Which I agree with.

This one lays in the DC. Marinelli and Richard amd there game plan and lack of adjustments. No reason they should have ran that much on us. Richard off getting his interviews in. Marinelli and the old prevent.

Offense did it’s nornal thing. Killed a few drives we could have scored on and the refs helped out where they could.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Rams were clearly the more prepared team and arguably the better team. Let be real, they pretty much kicked our butts. We play that same game ten times and we lose by a far worse score then 8 points. That said, if you take away the two drive extending penalties for the Rams, this game might have a different outcome. It's football and sometimes the better team loses and had those two drives not been extended, we could have won that game.

Plus, it is now known, the Rams knew our defensive stunts and crossovers etc, via studying film and cues and tells our defenders gave off. They knew what we were going to do. Had that not of been the case? I believe the Rams would have found themselves in a dogfight to the end. Garrett is not any less of a coach than McVay, I don't buy that. He knows the X's and O's just as well. But he overlooked cues and overlooked that they knew what we were doing and adjustments were not made in time, costing us the game.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If McVay was coaching the Cowboys and Garrett was coaching the Rams who wins?
If Jerry can honestly answer this question and any Garrett supporters can be honest we have something to build on.

Would you honestly accept the answer that Garrett would win? Would others?

Look beyond the HC's, and look at the rosters and the OC's and DC's
Sometimes it is not all on the HC.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The difference between 16 games in the season, the WC game and the Rams game? In 16 games and the WC game the LB'ers cleaned up after the D-line in the running game and in the Ram's game they didn't. LVE got washed out of too many plays. He had a rough night disengaging from his blocker (s). He picked the wrong game to play his poorest game of the season. The Ram's did a great job of taking LVE out of the game. Learn and move on

That's because the Rams schemed specifically against the Cowboys DLine and got them to take themselves out of plays which freed up extra blocker to get the LBs.

Watch the Cam Cameron (ex NFL coach) with regards to what the Rams OL did to the Cowboys DLine.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly don’t think JG had much to do with it. He may could have over rode a play call of Linehan or called a time out different but other than that he don’t do much. He even stopped clapping. He went for it on all 4th downs. Which I agree with.

This one lays in the DC. Marinelli and Richard amd there game plan and lack of adjustments. No reason they should have ran that much on us. Richard off getting his interviews in. Marinelli and the old prevent.

Offense did it’s nornal thing. Killed a few drives we could have scored on and the refs helped out where they could.
Garrett is the head coach, all phases of the game should go through him. If they don't, he shouldn't be a head coach.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:facepalm: The hate continues. We’ll have to suffer through these threads forever. Those consumed by their hate and blind to the positives about the team.

This is the opposite of a hate thread.

My point is that the Cowboys have better players than the Rams and the scouting dept. is now a strength of the team.

Coaches are by far the easiest thing to replace on an NFL team.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It was not just the scouting they did on the tendencies. It was the game plan itself. Whether it was Marinelli or Richard (I vote for the old man myself), it was a poorly designed and formulated plan. They never really seemed to take the Rams run game seriously, even after they jammed it down their throats for a while.
yup ive heard from those that broke down the game, too much nickel was an issue but not the main issue with our D,

The rams Zone blocking scheme needs a heavy dose of Man Defense, the Cowboys decided to go heavy on the switching and stunts which is NOT the way you play a zone run team especially one that had 3 weeks to develop a new scheme.. the stunts and twists made normal gaps twice as huge , the defense basically played the worst possible schemes you can use in the Zone run game, Nickel and stunts, twists etc not near enough man..

How can RM and KR plus the rest of the staff not see this early on like long before the 17 point 2nd quarter disaster? they may have not expected it but why did they not adjust? dont say they cant or dont because this year they dispelled this Myth as they were great 2nd half and OT team particularly in the 4th qtr where they made many comebacks, we actually won the 2nd half this game technically points wise but didnt have enough time left to comeback..for some reason after year where they played great run defense and bent but didnt break and no one scored 30 on them, had mental ;lapse the size of TX its self, apparently it stretched over in Cali..

Im sure if they had redo this wouldn't happen again but in the playoffs they didnt have 2nd chance :) :banghead:we dont need another coaching staff, just this one to learn from there gaff and get better.:thumbdown:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
That has been the standard operating procedure for this team for years now.

Their idea of a half-time adjustment is ..

"Okay, guys, we followed our game plan and it did not work, so what we are going to do in the second half is follow the same game plan and just play better this time."

Exactly. That's the team's biggest problem. Do they not understand the concept of having a plan B ready? "Here's our game plan. If that doesn't work, we'll try this...." Don't they know how to do that?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have remarked in other threads that JG is the antheisis of the old Bum Phillips' quote:

"He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."

For all the complaints about Garrett - antiquainted scheme, poor game and clock management, etc - the one that stands out the most for me is that, more often than not, he is simply out coached.

Yes, I thought about that when creating this thread.

I have often defended Garrett to some extent in that he is a much better Head Coach than Wade Phillips because the team does play hard and does have decent discipline which was not the case with Wade as HC. Wade himself said Garrett has been a better HC than he was; however, at some point Garrett has to poop or get off the pot. The talent level is now very good.

We saw this season what true NFL caliber coaching can do (Kris Richard).

I would be OK with Garrett as HC; however, in the modern NFL in order to get both a quality O-Coordinator and D-Coordinator, it's very difficult to make those hires if one of them is not the Head Coach.

You don't get Sean McVay by offering him an OC position. The Rams had to make him the HC. Arizona was so desperate to have an OC that they hired Kliff Kingsbury as their HC.

It appears that Garrett will stay in place; although, I'm curious if he actually gets the extension. I could see Stephen Jones managing to delay the extension.

I don't keep up with all of the college coaches or NFL OCs but if the team could keep him out of the draft room, Josh McDaniels would be a safe option as a HC. They get receivers open without having to pay a Kings ransom to get Super Star WRs. They've rarely had elite RBs over the years and they tend to mix in 1 or 2 elite OLinemen with 3 or 4 very average players.

I assume the Kris Richard will eventually get a HC position somewhere; however, it would be tempting to take big money to become and remain the DC. The probability of failure is high for 1st time NFL HCs because they are normally going to bad teams. If Richard has kids, the moving around every few years can be a big strain on a family.