Cowboys with the 27th ranked DL

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Then ignore the thread Joe.
Post better thread titles Winicki. We can and are talking about this defense without placing significance on what they were a year ago. What they are doing now is what matters. That's the headline you are missing.

plasticman

Reaction score
There are too many quality additions, too many opportunities for a breakout season, for this ranking to remain the same.

Last season the Cowboys lost their most promising veteran free agent D-lineman before the season even began. They lost Hill just when he he started coming around. They even lost Gallimore before the end of the season.

I have to add that they had a new defense, new DC, no minicamps, no training camp, no preseason games....

The defenses that suffered the most in 2020 were the teams that were going through the most changes. thee was just no opportunity to put it all together in time.

I've said it before, anybody trying to evaluate the Cowboys based on anything that happened last season has already rendered any observations irrelevant. By the end of the season, the D-line starters included a 3rd round rookie draft pick, a guy that did not play football for almost five years, and a guy that retired once the season was over.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Since other posters have already answered this ridiculous question, I don't feel the need to do likewise but I'll do it anyway. We have as many as 8 new starters on defense. That is a significant overhaul. Just as a side note...our nickel package will look much different (manninginwise) than it did last year. :cool:

8 starters including the linebackers and secondary, sure

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Can’t get sacks? No problem. We’ll lower the bar and count pressures.

Horrible run defense? Well, yeah, teams were running away from Lawrence. Sure, yeah. Of course.

Dude is absolutely awesome. What would the team ever do without the hottest member of the Hot Boyz?

Literally the most inaccurate thing I have read on here in some time, and that's saying something!

MaineBoy

Reaction score
Per PFF based on 2020? That has nothing to do with the current defense. There has just been too large of a turnover for this team to be labeled by what they did a year ago.

Until they prove it on the field, this is a generous ranking...Let’s see them play a down or a game before we start saying they are improved on any level. They still never drafted or brought in a real quality Safety who isn’t coming off an injury...the linebackers will be another train wreck if Jaylon is playing - which he will - and LVE gets hurt again. Luckily we have some rookie linebackers but have never played a down in the big leagues. They cheaped out again on DT because they like our guys and spent some later round picks on the position. And our new Def Coordinator lost the 28-3 lead to the Pats and had some pretty pedestrian defenses in Atlanta the other years.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They did not restructure him this year and they drafted Golston and O-Dig. Gives me hope that maybe they are at least giving it thought of dumping Lawrence.

Same with Jaylon and Elliott.

If they were planning on dumping Lawrence, I would have expected them to at least make an attempt to extend Gregory.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Until they prove it on the field, this is a generous ranking...Let’s see them play a down or a game before we start saying they are improved on any level. They still never drafted or brought in a real quality Safety who isn’t coming off an injury...the linebackers will be another train wreck if Jaylon is playing - which he will - and LVE gets hurt again. Luckily we have some rookie linebackers but have never played a down in the big leagues. They cheaped out again on DT because they like our guys and spent some later round picks on the position. And our new Def Coordinator lost the 28-3 lead to the Pats and had some pretty pedestrian defenses in Atlanta the other years.
Disagree. I'm not going to pretend this team is what it was last season until it shows otherwise. Ignoring the turnover on this defense is impossible for me to do. This defense is not what it once was and can not be defined by last year's results. That's not an honest accounting of this defense's transformation.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
27th is accurate (as of last year), and that won't get the job done. They've got to find a way to vastly improve this D-line. In recent years, the Cowboys seem to have been way more effective in improving the O-line than the D. Jerry has even tried some desperate things like the signing of Greg Hardy, which looked at first like it was going to work. Basically, in this pass-happy league, if you have a lousy pass rush, even decent, but not special, offenses and QBs will carve you up.