Cowboys with the 27th ranked DL

jnday

Reaction score
And if I remember correctly, Smith is in trouble yet again off the field. That’s a significant factor.
From my understanding, Smith’s problems started again around Thanksgiving Day last year. I think Dallas knew about the problems and decided that they was not going to resign him at that point. After the incident, which was kept out of media reports, I think they totally gave up hope and considered him a lost cause.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
And if I remember correctly, Smith is in trouble yet again off the field. That’s a significant factor.
Aldon Smith had much larger issues than Gregory ever has.
Smith made a bomb threat at an airport, anyone remember that judgment error?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From my understanding, Smith’s problems started again around Thanksgiving Day last year. I think Dallas knew about the problems and decided that they was not going to resign him at that point. After the incident, which was kept out of media reports, I think they totally gave up hope and considered him a lost cause.

I agree. That’s what I remember reading as well.

And after a fast start and a dominant game, Smith effectively disappeared for the rest of the season.

I can at least see some potential upside with Basham in a supporting role.

jnday

Reaction score
Both are JAGS. If you want to believe Basham is better, be my guest.
I don’t know much about Basham, but I did read several articles that stated he was the worst FA signing of the entire off-season. I don’t know anything about his contract or his strengths and weaknesses, but from just reading about him, it didn’t look good. The only strength that I saw was his constant hustle.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aldon Smith had much larger issues than Gregory ever has.
Smith made a bomb threat at an airport, anyone remember that judgment error?

Yikes! I did not remember that one.

jnday

Reaction score
I agree. That’s what I remember reading as well.

And after a fast start and a dominant game, Smith effectively disappeared for the rest of the season.

I can at least see some potential upside with Basham in a supporting role.
I know nothing about Basham other than reading some articles that was not very positive, but just about anybody would be a better signing than Smith. I thought Smith has turned his life around, but it seems like playing in the NFL brings out the worst in him.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don’t know much about Basham, but I did read several articles that stated he was the worst FA signing of the entire off-season. I don’t know anything about his contract or his strengths and weaknesses, but from just reading about him, it didn’t look good. The only strength that I saw was his constant hustle.

Another one of these low end signings where they think the guy was misused where he was. I believe he has had 7 sacks in 4 years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know nothing about Basham other than reading some articles that was not very positive, but just about anybody would be a better signing than Smith. I thought Smith has turned his life around, but it seems like playing in the NFL brings out the worst in him.

I sincerely hoped for the best for Aldon Smith. But after a great early start, things went south. So I agree with them cutting bait on him.

As for Basham, I see a younger, improving player who may - I repeat may - offer some upside as a backup to Gregory in a part-time role.

He will never be what Smith was, but neither will Smith himself.

quickccc

Reaction score
Maybe all of them.

Urban is known for being a strong run defender. Same with Osa and Golston. Bohanna was the type of NT in college that gave the linebackers room to operate.
Parsons was the the type of LB who showed he could make good use of that room. Neal has been a good run defender at safety.

Watkins' resume as a run defender seems the shakiest. He's more of a pass defender. The rest will have to prove it, but at least they signed players known for being good at it where they were.

The vibe I got from Cowboys per their upgrade in run defense - they preferred more the Money Ball approach in improving the personnel while saving and avoiding the big contract
dollar market vet (ala Dalvin Joseph NYG) .. They were cap caution

- Watkins is a bargain cheap vet coming from the worst rushing defense (even worse than Cowboys) .. the added rookie interiors and vet Urban should make it that much tougher for him
to find a roster role here. i see him another Chris Covington type that may be an odd wheel here.

- Hope it works out with Urban, i don't believe he was a starter but there are some typical role play guys that excel in a particular area of play.
- Neal was a good in the box run supporter as a safety - it's a whole new manner and animal as an 212 pound OLB taking on centers, OGs, TEs and lead blocking FBs.
- Since Hill and Gallimore were so inconsistent as rookie and 2nd year guys on a big learning binge, it seems to point more towards the rookies to bail out this
team in regards to DL trench wars.

- Maybe just me, but veteran or not, i still got the feeling that the club was already at odds with Antwann Woods, and he placed more Wood (no pun intended) and eventually forced
himself out by asking for a cut. i wasn't enamored with him anyway.

- With those three new rookies i get more the impressions as run defenders than i do as pass rushers, but let's see where this goes. i would just somewhat concerned with rookies
who have to learn NFL trench wars on the run.

jnday

Reaction score
I sincerely hoped for the best for Aldon Smith. But after a great early start, things went south. So I agree with them cutting bait on him.

As for Basham, I see a younger, improving player who may - I repeat may - offer some upside as a backup to Gregory in a part-time role.

He will never be what Smith was, but neither will Smith himself.
I surely hope that Basham is nothing like Smith on or off the field. The one positive that I read about a Basham is that he plays with a lot of effort and continues until the whistle blows. His pass rushing is not that good, but his signing says more about how the team views Armstrong IMO. I think that Armstrong is on his way out. He has had plenty of time to impress but he he just hasn’t done much with his opportunities that he has had.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
The problem with our DL has always been decision-making with our GM and coaches. It has been a long time since I played my last meaningful football game, but I do remember what it was like to be in a functional system. You need to have players who match your system and philosophy regardless of pure talent. And I feel like our approach over the last two decades has been a "swing for the fence" mentality, and we have had many, many strikeouts. Banking on washed-up ex stars or injured college prospects shouldn't be the overarching approach.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I surely hope that Basham is nothing like Smith on or off the field. The one positive that I read about a Basham is that he plays with a lot of effort and continues until the whistle blows. His pass rushing is not that good, but his signing says more about how the team views Armstrong IMO. I think that Armstrong is on his way out. He has had plenty of time to impress but he he just hasn’t done much with his opportunities that he has had.

I agree about Armstrong. It’s time for him to show why he should stick around and earn his spot.

I see Basham as an ascending player who continues to improve. I don’t expect huge contributions but I can ideally see him chipping in with half a dozen sacks.

I think of his draft contemporary Trey Hendrickson. He wasn’t considered much of a pass rusher before exploding in 2020 with 13.5 sacks. Who’s to say a change of scenery couldn’t help Basham to be better than what we’ve seen this far?

There seems to be one guy who bursts on the scene every year lately.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Yeah. I think that was the issue that led us to reverse course on re-signing him.

Big_D

Reaction score
This D line will take time to develop! It’s been largely ignored for years. 27 right now but should gradually move up.

jay94

Reaction score
Reality is that Lawrene isn't very good, as soon as we can move on from him, we should.

This is simply not true at all. If you said Zeke sure, if you said Jaylon, sure, but one person can not equate for 11. Even Wilson was overhyped to be honest, but I get it with his contract. Lawrence needs help, and didn't get much of it at all.