Twitter: Cowboys working out a safety today and one tomorrow

Rayman70

Reaction score
The lack of signings in general is infuriating, but how stubborn this team is to certain types of players at certain positions is also ridiculous. Maybe Iloka is better at SS, but could it also be true that he’s better than what we have at FS? There are still guys on the market with significant playing time as at least adequate starting experience, maybe they aren’t perfect fits for the scheme but the coaches need to work with the most talented players we can get and make it work. Instead we stubbornly would rather put a scrub on the field that can’t play but fits the mold of what a FS should be.
hate to say it..but ^^^^THIS^^^^ is right on. To be this penny pinching at such an important position is this franchises downfall. It bites us in the butt every year.

Rayman70

Reaction score
dunno bout you all..but I do not feel good about rolling into the season with Woods,Heath,Frazier..and God only knows what other street free agent at safety. We got 1 or 2 guys with "POTENTIAL" ..and that normally gets players and coaches fired. Time to get serious at safety,like yesterday. Go freaking spend the resources and fix the position!!!

Sydla

Reaction score
The lack of signings in general is infuriating, but how stubborn this team is to certain types of players at certain positions is also ridiculous. Maybe Iloka is better at SS, but could it also be true that he’s better than what we have at FS? There are still guys on the market with significant playing time as at least adequate starting experience, maybe they aren’t perfect fits for the scheme but the coaches need to work with the most talented players we can get and make it work. Instead we stubbornly would rather put a scrub on the field that can’t play but fits the mold of what a FS should be.

Yep.

And again, Iloka played FS last year in Cincy and according to people around their team, played FS pretty well in their Cover 3 defense (similar to what we will play at times with Richard).

Given your starting FS just went down and you don't have another FS on the roster and are now moving your starting SS back to FS, Iloka seems like a perfect signing to fill what is now a clear need.

But this franchise has made quite a history for themselves of being stubborn and foolish.

Sydla

Reaction score

Rayman70

Reaction score
This thread sound just like the Joe Thomas signing thread

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboys-sign-lb-joe-thomas.398925/
at least we spent the proper resources and filled needs at linebacker..via draft and free agency. We haven't done squat at safety in free agency. That's truly an enigma.Its ongoing for 20 years now. I get it..its good to be prudent. But jeesh, its been a decade and a half or more..and we still lack a playmaking safety. Now, we have Earl Thomas begging to come here..and Seattle is in no position at this point to get greedy.So I say,make that call once again and throw out an offer. I will not give away a first or 2nd rounder though..no way. But if Seattle is savvy, they would rather get something in return for him than to get nothing next year when he leaves. Both sides need to make this happen.

Carson

Reaction score
This thread sound just like the Joe Thomas signing thread

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboys-sign-lb-joe-thomas.398925/
Difference is Thomas was a depth, ST guy. We had a looming draft and were likely to get a starting LB out of the draft.

Sanders is going from not having a team to possibly having to start week one in two weeks!

But in the end, you have to trust the coaches. They proved me wrong about Thomas.

Just wish we would get a guy with some experience Incase he has to start week one.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I wish I could truly understand why the staunch stubbornness by the FO pertaining to the safety position. I much rather have Earl Thomas for 2-3 years and fill a dire need,than to go safety by committee with street free agents and unproven guys. Its begging for a terrible start to the season.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Bottomline is if we do not get Earl Thomas we have failed the team and the fans. We have the void so the need is there. No more excuses. No more band aids at safety. We will have to revisit this AGAIN in the offseason if we do nothing now. RIDICULOUS.

Sydla

Reaction score
Bottomline is if we do not get Earl Thomas we have failed the team and the fans. We have the void so the need is there. No more excuses. No more band aids at safety. We will have to revisit this AGAIN in the offseason if we do nothing now. RIDICULOUS.

I can't set that kind of expectation if what it would take is give up a 1st round pick. I would not do that for Thomas.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I can't set that kind of expectation if what it would take is give up a 1st round pick. I would not do that for Thomas.
I AGREE with the last part you said. Gotta find a way to get that trade done. If that means sending a player and a 3rd,I do it.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the band aid mentality at safety has become a fall back crutch or excuse for over a decade. Time to right the ship.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I can see their hesitation, in 11 days there will be an additional 1147 Free Agents on the market, you never know who will be among them.

Rayman70

Reaction score
So here we are again..another year,and still a void at safety.