Twitter: Cowboys workout TE/OT Jake Fisher

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Why no chance though? Certainly an area of interest I would be exploring in camp. Try out Connor over there or whomever, see if anything sticks.

Money saved for these contracts. Not going to be able to resign him anyway if the top three get taken care of.

If Williams is ready to go at RT, and McGovern at LG, I'd like go with it this year.

Barring injury, that would be our starting oline for the next 3 years.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Said we should look @ this guy a month ago...And after watching Rico look completely uninterested being here in training camp...I'm all for bringing in a 4th TE that can block. Been saying it for a while now...Kellen has a bunch set that uses 3 TEs...and it's best utilized in the red zone.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

one position we don't need is a slow te....we have the best in the business there

Fisher ran a 1.70 ten at 306 pounds.
At 280 he can likely run faster.

Rico ran a 1.71 ten at 273 pounds.

TE Jace Sternberger drafted in the 3rd round of the 2019 draft ran a 1.70 ten.

TE Irv Smith drafted in the 2nd round of the 2019 draft ran a 1.69 ten.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fisher played OT for the Oregon Ducks. Had no idea NFL teams trying to convert him to a TE.
They didn't.

Fisher was in the NFL for 4 years after being drafted in the 2nd round of the 2015 NFL draft.

He dropped down to 285 at the end of 2018 as he was approaching free agency.

He wants to play TE. He struggled to keep his weight up as an OT.

He played TE in High School.

The draft reports all considered him very athletic as an OT but his issue was lack of bulk and power.

Many blocking TEs don't catch many passes.

TE James Hanna's receptions each year for the Cowboys:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
What do you think witten is gonna be doing

Witten is a balanced block/catch TE. Jarwin more of a receiving TE, though he has put on some weight and has probably improved as a blocker.

People talk about Witten as a red zone threat, but I don't see it inside the 10. He doesn't play that physically, isn't a leaper, and doesn't have a big catch radius. He's never been a big TD machine for us. He's not a bulldozer as a blocker either.

John813

Reaction score
They didn't.

Fisher was in the NFL for 4 years after being drafted in the 2nd round of the 2015 NFL draft.

The draft reports all considered him very athletic as an OT but his issue was lack of bulk and power.

There's a niche market for pure blocking TE's. Hanna got paid well and so did Nick Bnoyle just recently with the Ravens.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They didn't.

Sounds great.

A light OT who had hands enough to play TE in high school. Gives us serious blocking and a guy who should be able to catch a 3 yard pass. Great for short yardage. We've been missing this guy.

I want to press and press and press the advantage we have at blocking depth near the goal line. Put as many high quality blockers on the field as we can. We needed a serious blocking TE to add to that mix.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Fisher ran a 1.70 ten at 306 pounds.
At 280 he can likely run faster.

Rico ran a 1.71 ten at 273 pounds.

TE Jace Sternberger drafted in the 3rd round of the 2019 draft ran a 1.70 ten.

TE Irv Smith drafted in the 2nd round of the 2019 draft ran a 1.69 ten.

Was one of the most athletic OTs at 306lbs. Kind of a combine freak. "Top performer" in multiple combine measurements. Arm length and hand size for an OT, so big for a TE.
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jake-fisher?id=2552360

TheBigEasy

Reaction score
When I seen the name Fisher I thought it was Eric Fisher,
The first overall pick in the 2013 NFL draft.

I got all excited for nothing.

LOL...I thought the same exact thing. Came in excited..left disappointed. Had a similar experience last night. Walked into the bedroom, the wifey was already in bed waiting for me and walked out of said bedroom to leave for work this morning the same way that I walked in. Disappointed! :(

sbark

Reaction score
Think that's what they wanted to do with Rico, but Rico focused on receiving bit much for a blocking te

Jipper

Reaction score
Witten is a balanced block/catch TE. Jarwin more of a receiving TE, though he has put on some weight and has probably improved as a blocker.

People talk about Witten as a red zone threat, but I don't see it inside the 10. He doesn't play that physically, isn't a leaper, and doesn't have a big catch radius. He's never been a big TD machine for us. He's not a bulldozer as a blocker either.

witten is old and slow...hes going to be a primary blocking TE, Jarwin is the recieving option and secondary blocking option....we dont need to keep a 3rd TE on the roster just to block....needs to be hybrid which this guy is not

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think that's what they wanted to do with Rico, but Rico focused on receiving bit much for a blocking te

I don't think Rico "focused" on anything, except maybe weed and rap. And that's why his time is just about up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys, not every player they look at is going to be a serious contender to play, or even make the roster. They are trying to fill a 90 man training camp roster with enough players that are at least reasonably talented to allow for good practices and drills and to keep the back end of preseason games from being too much of a joke with players that don't even have a minimal level of talent. If a guy proves to be more than that, it's a bonus.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
as a pure blocking guy i like the idea of roster churn but you'd prefer a cheaper option imho.
one of issues vets face is salary keeps going up.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Gil Brandt on his pro day results in 2015:
Fisher (6-foot-6 3/4, 308 pounds) has 33 1/2-inch arms and 10 3/8-inch hands. Fisher stood on his numbers from the NFL Scouting Combine, where he had the best time among offensive linemen in the three-cone drill and 20-yard short shuttle, and was a top performer in his position group in the 40-yard dash and vertical jump. Fisher is an unbelievably good athlete -- he was a high school tight end -- and was very impressive at the pro day. Fisher made some money Thursday.
Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6061
Weight: 306
40 Yard Dash (ET): 5.01
40 Yard Dash (HH): 4.97
20 Yard (ET): 2.97
20 Yard (HH): 2.82
10 Yard (ET): 1.80
10 Yard (HH): 1.70 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 25
Vertical Jump: 32 1/2
Broad Jump:
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.33
3-Cone Drill: 7.25
No BJump-Hamstring

Dates: 03/12/15
Hand: 10 3/8 Arm: 33 3/4
Wingspan: 82

He has been more athlete than football player. Needs to convert to 4/3 DE or DT. The only interest in Fisher is to release Gathers or trade Gathers and use him on blocking downs and goal line at TE.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Regarding TEs: I've listened to Garrett, McClay and Moore speak on TEs...to a man, not a one of them mentioned Rico. They all said Jarwin, Witten and Shultz the end.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
There's an open roster spot since Dallas cut LB Andrew Dowell today with an injury settlement.

Maybe they sign Fisher, or maybe Zeke's coming back.:muttley:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
witten is old and slow...hes going to be a primary blocking TE, Jarwin is the recieving option and secondary blocking option....we dont need to keep a 3rd TE on the roster just to block....needs to be hybrid which this guy is not

Witten isn't a real blocking TE. Neither is Schultz or Jarwin. Rico was potentially one. Now we've got a guy who is a good blocking TE. You can argue about whether that extra blocking is necessary for the roster, but I bet *they* think so.

I think so. I want a better short yardage blocker than the other 3 who can catch short passes.

It's more arguable that we don't need all three of Schultz, Witten, and Jarwin. Schultz is redundant and worse to Witten, but he's worth a spot as the developmental player to replace Witten in the future.