Cowboyszoners over valuing our players

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It is clear that Cowboyszoners over value our players as a general rule. We literally can't lose anyone, or the sky will fall!!!

We are finally at the spot where we should want to keep most of the guys on this team provided that the money is right. But you can't pay everyone what they want to stay and still field a team two or three years from now.

Williams needed to go. The cap number didn't match production.

Hurns was expected to be more of an impact player than he was, but him leaving won't hurt us.

Lee is done. Letting him go saves a ton of cap.

We need to try to keep the core of this team together, but not everyone who is a top performer will be retained unless some of them sign team friendly deals. That's why I don't expect to see Beasley back in a Cowboys uniform next year eaither.

I think Dak, Zeke, Amari, Jaylon, are locks to stick around.

That may not be the case with Byron, Tank, and Collins (RT). Probably at least one of those guys is no longer a Cowboy soon.

I wish people could be a little bit more objective in their evaluation of our roster. To them every Cowboy is top 5, when in reality few are. Maybe Fredbeard, Martin, Zeke and Tyron (at one time). The rest probably not.
The homers over evaluate them until they’re gone. Then they bash them.

But it always difficult critiquing your own like you would the neighbors kids.

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really would like to see Dallas take care of the guys whos contract is up. Nobody is giving some big discount anymore to sign early. They DO NOT need to address Dak, Zeke or Jaylons contract.
Right now two guys that Dallas really needs to try and get a deal done and thats Amari and Lawrence! I would still try to keep Byron too!
But it’s not just about the player giving a dicount for signing early, it’s also about market conditions changing. For example, a year ago DLaw may have signed a contract for $16-17 million per year, but the market has changed in a year, and it will likely take $20-22 million a year to sign him now.

aria

Reaction score
I think a large part why some people over value our roster is because they live in a Cowboys bubble. Certain positions or players may be upgraded so they automatically think that equates to the rest of the league but they seem to forget there’s 31 other teams with top talent and upgrading their positions as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think a large part why some people over value our roster is because they live in a Cowboys bubble. Certain positions or players may be upgraded so they automatically think that equates to the rest of the league but they seem to forget there’s 31 other teams with top talent and upgrading their positions as well.
Of course.

It’s the guys on their team they root and cheer for every week and throughout the year. Most fans watch their team more than any others. It’s only natural they’d evaluate their guys more favorably.

It’s why we often get so defensive with criticism if we feel it’s unjust. Nothing is tougher than seperating your heart from your mind to make more unbiased analysis.

foofighters

Reaction score
It is clear that Cowboyszoners over value our players as a general rule. We literally can't lose anyone, or the sky will fall!!!

We are finally at the spot where we should want to keep most of the guys on this team provided that the money is right. But you can't pay everyone what they want to stay and still field a team two or three years from now.

Hurns was expected to be more of an impact player than he was, but him leaving won't hurt us.

We need to try to keep the core of this team together, but not everyone who is a top performer will be retained unless some of them sign team friendly deals. That's why I don't expect to see Beasley back in a Cowboys uniform next year eaither.

That may not be the case with Byron, Tank, and Collins (RT). Probably at least one of those guys is no longer a Cowboy soon.

I wish people could be a little bit more objective in their evaluation of our roster. To them every Cowboy is top 5, when in reality few are. Maybe Fredbeard, Martin, Zeke and Tyron (at one time). The rest probably not.
I honestly think you're being as dramtic as those fans that you are claiming are being over dramatic. This board is made up of equal haters and homers then sprinkle in a few guys/gals that keep it right down the middle. For the record, Dak is a top 5 QB on this team...

Sydla

Reaction score
True. I just take great comfort in knowing how right I am and how those who disagree with me are always wrong. It's as comforting as a warm blanket on a cold day. Lol

Says the guy who claimed they could cut Dez because the WR by committee approach would work and they didn't need a high priced WR.

Whoops.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Tank was drafted much later than Taco. While draft position matters you it's not an exact science. Gallup was a 3rd rounder and he is already better than Dez was his entire last three years.

I love Gallup.
But making asinine comparisons doesn’t help your cause.

Gallup cost himself multiple TDS.
He adjusted his speed mid route either not anticipating being looked at or not used to daks trajectory.

Gimme 2016 dez over Gallup.
He broke his knee during the season and still came back impressive. And then put up 100+ and 2 TDS vs GB in the playoffs. That same defense a week prior held Odell to like 20 yards and 3 drops.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
I love Gallup.
But making asinine comparisons doesn’t help your cause.

Gallup cost himself multiple TDS.
He adjusted his speed mid route either not anticipating being looked at or not used to daks trajectory.

Gimme 2016 dez over Gallup.
He broke his knee during the season and still came back impressive. And then put up 100+ and 2 TDS vs GB in the playoffs. That same defense a week prior held Odell to like 20 yards and 3 drops.

You see, there’s this thing.
Where you can remisince about the players who played previously and compliment the ones who currently play and neither has to be talked down upon.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

I wish the team could be more objective, too.

It's signings like Crawford for 8 mil/yr is insane.

When Tank was getting suspensions and Gregory was staying stoned .

they knee jerked and did Crawford.

We have since added numerous DL that play well in the rotation and we no longer need him.

Yet the team keeps him.

Bad decision. Overrated player. Over paid player.

Of course we have TWill and he is leaving finally but keeping him was nuts.

Now we have Lee. Great player but never lived up to expectations health-wise and we knew it when we drafted him.

Over rating anybody lately, humm..

B/w Crawford and Lee, that is 16 mil of cap blown.

And there are more.

So as fans, we have no control and watching gets painful.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
You see, there’s this thing.
Where you can remisince about the players who played previously and compliment the ones who currently play and neither has to be talked down upon.

It’s not as if dez is the all time franchise leader in Receiving TDS or anything. For a guy who couldn’t run routes or care about getting better he sure did well.

aria

Reaction score
Of course.

It’s the guys on their team they root and cheer for every week and throughout the year. Most fans watch their team more than any others. It’s only natural they’d evaluate their guys more favorably.

It’s why we often get so defensive with criticism if we feel it’s unjust. Nothing is tougher than seperating your heart from your mind to make more unbiased analysis.
Speak for yourself, I want to win. I have no problem criticizing or calling out players who I think don’t pull their weight or who are a liability to the team. If a guy isn’t good or is just average then that’s what he is, it doesn’t mean I don’t want them to succeed, it’s just calling it how it is or giving my opinion.

I understand what you mean by most fans only watching their own teams but that’s how they get trapped in their little Cowboys bubble. Same reason there are always people complaining that we’re the only team thatngets bad calls, they have no idea because most of them don’t watch enough other teams play to know that it’s league wide. New Orleans just happened to get as much attention as it did because it was a nationally televised game with Super Bowl implications but calls/non calls like that happen every game to every team. Anyways, I digress.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You know what else happens? Cowboys fans underrating some of our players thinking they can easily be replaced with no real decrease in overall play.

LOL -- we'd do well to think there'd be a happy medium.

It oftentimes seems our guys are either heroes or bums.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score

I value your opinion. That doesn't mean other Zoners as myself agree nor think it's correct.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Knowing which players are "worth it" and others are better released or traded is the trickiest part of managing a team. Every team overpays for certain players for one reason, there are not enough players at any position to fill out all 32 teams. Not ANY position, including kickers. Look at the money that will get thrown at these FA QB's.

Williams is gone for a very good reason, the Cowboys took a shot at an upgrade with Gallup and got it. Better player, less money. I think that's what they had in mind with Charleton, give them the luxury of letting Lawrence get his 16-20M somewhere else while they pay a rookie contact. That has not worked out. Charleton is overpaid.

They have a CB that graded out in the top 4 in the NFL, you do not let that player walk. If Lawrence's drop off was solely due to that shoulder injury, you do not let him walk.

The trick to covering for overpaying is to underpay enough to balance it out because it's not about the individual players' contracts, it is about the team cap. The Cowboys have had it good with QB and RB but that may be changing. They have it good with two LB's and that will eventually change as it will with that young secondary and if they sign Thomas for what he wants, they better hit well in this draft and get two starters with those first two picks because they need to upgrade at G, T and DT.

GMO415

Reaction score
NFL Network valued Tank as the #1 FA. Yeah.....we should keep him. I would let him walk if Gregory could take his place. We know Taco ain't in the discussion.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At times, this place is a riot when posters are putting value on players without regard for what sets the price. There are 3 factors that affect this and none has to do with the quality of the player. 1) the cap rule regarding how much each team will spend, 2) the amount of cap space by the teams shopping and 3), the availability of players by needed positions.

Another factor is how much cheap labor does a team have? All of these pbers in their 1st contracts are huge bargains, temporary, but what is permanent in the NFL? There also is the factor of competition for players, especially within divisions. If I can help myself and hurt them at the same time, I am wunderkind.

You're a GM with money like IND or any of the top 5 cap space team. You need a Safety, how many that can step in and upgrade your secondary are there available? There aren't enough good players at this position to put 32 on teams, let alone 64, so those 5 stars are getting a hell of a lot of money. And HOU, the other AFC South playoff team, is a top 5 in cap space.

The Cowboys have refused to get into the first feeding frenzy of FA (alliteration award due here) because the money is stupid being thrown at these players because of those 3 factors. I would be very surprised if the Cowboys are willing to pay Thomas what those top 5's will pay him and he will be an early prize in FA. There are teams with enough cap to make him the top paid S in the NFL and they don't care if they're overpaying by a few million, they've got money to burn.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NFL Network valued Tank as the #1 FA. Yeah.....we should keep him. I would let him walk if Gregory could take his place. We know Taco ain't in the discussion.
If his drop off was due to that shoulder and that is fixable, he and the combination of Charleton made him unexpendable.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I think I actually agree with you here. I would probably include Byron in the A list but I could easily be wrong there. Point being, I think that we, as fans often overvalue. On the other hand, there have been many times where the fans have pointed out shortcomings and they have proven to be correct. The thing is, the Pats have pretty much shown the league how to do this in the modern NFL. We always hear about how we want to do it like the Pats but if that's really the case, then it would seem like they would have to be able to walk away from bad contracts, even if they are talented players.

JMO

Last edited: