Creativity not brawn the key to our future offensive success

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Between 1992-95, the Dallas Cowboys offensive talent was so dominant, the prevailing belief was that opponents could be in our huddle and it wouldn’t matter. The Cowboys offense was capable of physically whipping opponents into submission. That was the identity and the practice of those 90s teams, and it worked to the tune of 3 Lombardis in 4 years.

Now, nearly a quarter century later, NFL teams’ ability to physically dominate opponents is almost non-existent. In the “parity” and salary cap era of today, even the currently dominant patriots are not capable of just pinning their ears back and whipping their opponents. Today’s best offenses are creatively using deception and a variety of looks to win in the playoffs.

We must all hope Jason Garrett has received that memo.

Because Garrett has both shown with his offensive philosophy, play calling and public comments that this team tries in philosophy to be more like the ‘92 Cowboys than a 2019 NFL offense that is built to win in today’s NFL playoffs.

Slogans like “Finish the fight” look good on a t-shirt, but having an overly simplistic playbook centered on a power running game alone frankly just won’t get it done. We have 8 seasons of evidence that prove it. Surely this organization understands this right?

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have a great running game highlighting one of the best RBs in the NFL. I’m not saying we need to sling it around all day, throwing 50 passes. But I am saying that if this team intends to get past the divisional round of the playoffs, some creativity with this highly predictable offense is sorely needed.

Does Kellen Moore have-
1. The green light from Garrett to add some new formations and plays to jazz this up?
2. The ability after only one year of NFL coaching to jumpstart an offense lacking a lot of scoring punch?

In 2019- Will we see a more creative offense or will we just see more of the same Garrett offense just with a guy who looks about 15 calling the same plays?

Which will it be?

DandyTom64

Reaction score
Slogans like “Finish the fight” look good on a t-shirt,
I finally quit wearing my shirt with " I Love My Edsel ". It was getting a little old too. Besides the local Ford house gave me ten bucks if I would mothball it.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don't kid oneself, in the heat of a playoff run...smart takes second fiddle to up front dominance. One creates the other...

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Between 1992-95, the Dallas Cowboys offensive talent was so dominant, the prevailing belief was that opponents could be in our huddle and it wouldn’t matter. The Cowboys offense was capable of physically whipping opponents into submission. That was the identity and the practice of those 90s teams, and it worked to the tune of 3 Lombardis in 4 years.

Now, nearly a quarter century later, NFL teams’ ability to physically dominate opponents is almost non-existent. In the “parity” and salary cap era of today, even the currently dominant patriots are not capable of just pinning their ears back and whipping their opponents. Today’s best offenses are creatively using deception and a variety of looks to win in the playoffs.

Because Garrett has both shown with his offensive philosophy, play calling and public comments that this team tries in philosophy to be more like the ‘92 Cowboys than a 2019 NFL offense that is built to win in today’s NFL playoffs.

Slogans like “Finish the fight” look good on a t-shirt, but having an overly simplistic playbook centered on a power running game alone frankly just won’t get it done. We have 8 seasons of evidence that prove it. Surely this organization understands this right?

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have a great running game highlighting one of the best RBs in the NFL. I’m not saying we need to sling it around all day, throwing 50 passes. But I am saying that if this team intends to get past the divisional round of the playoffs, some creativity with this highly predictable offense is sorely needed.

Does Kellen Moore have-
1. The green light from Garrett to add some new formations and plays to jazz this up?
2. The ability after only one year of NFL coaching to jumpstart an offense lacking a lot of scoring punch?

In 2019- Will we see a more creative offense or will we just see more of the same Garrett offense just with a guy who looks about 15 calling the same plays?
Which will it be?

"In 2019- Will we see a more creative offense or will we just see more of the same Garrett offense just with a guy who looks about 15 calling the same plays?

Which will it be?"

Garrett was given full control of the offense when he came here as an inexperienced OC, but I don't think Garrett will do the same for Moore unless Jerry gives the order. Garrett believes "Vanilla" is how the game is supposed to be played and he doesn't intend to play it any other way, even if it means losing. He's been doing it that way for 12 years, I don't think he'll change now.

I don't know if Moore has the goods or not, but I'd like to see Jerry give Moore the same shot he gave Garrett, put Moore in charge of the offense and put Garrett in charge of clapping.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Does Kellen Moore have-

Which will it be?

Despite Garrett's football philosophy, coaches actually have jobs to do on gameday. Who knew?

As for Moore, he doesn't need to be a football prodigy to do better than Linehan.

1. Let our running QB run.
2. Introduce more uncertainty into opposing defenses with more variation in play calling by personnel, formation, and down and distance.

You don't need to know any football to do that.

New plays would be welcome, but we've got plenty of plays, we just need to call the right ones at the right time.

The low hanging fruit is sitting on the ground. Moore is walking into a fantastic situation to look like Boy Genius. Frederick is back, depth across the oline, losing no one of any significance but Beasley.

Frederick says he learned a lot on the sidelines this year. Bad news for the NFL. Good news for Moore.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Despite Garrett's football philosophy, coaches actually have jobs to do on gameday. Who knew?

As for Moore, he doesn't need to be a football prodigy to do better than Linehan.

1. Let our running QB run.
2. Introduce more uncertainty into opposing defenses with more variation in play calling by personnel, formation, and down and distance.

You don't need to know any football to do that.

New plays would be welcome, but we've got plenty of plays, we just need to call the right ones at the right time.

The low hanging fruit is sitting on the ground. Moore is walking into a fantastic situation to look like Boy Genius. Frederick is back, depth across the oline, losing no one of any significance but Beasley.

Frederick says he learned a lot on the sidelines this year. Bad news for the NFL. Good news for Moore.

Agreed! Especially "Let our running QB run."

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't really care, as long as they score points with each offensive possession at a higher rate than most teams, which they generally have. Last year they dipped, but they came up a bit with the addition of Cooper, and they'll come up again a bit more if they address their red zone issues.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Don't kid oneself, in the heat of a playoff run...smart takes second fiddle to up front dominance. One creates the other...

Smart coaching takes precedence over stubborn coaching.

A coach who sticks with the same ole' game plan over and over and expects a different result will find himself playing second fiddle to coaches that innovate and change their game plan to fit the situation.

Buzzbait

Reaction score

A coach who sticks with the same ole' game plan over and over and expects a different result will find himself playing second fiddle to coaches that innovate and change their game plan to fit the situation.

Exactly! That's worth a whole bag full of likes!

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Hmm. I'm not convinced the style of offense is the important thing. I think it's about having the talent and personnel to execute whatever game plan you choose to employ. If the guys you have are elite at doing what they do then stopping them is difficult regardless of anything. I agree that a more creative approach would be entertaining though. I'd love to see Dallas pull a fake punt on 4th down just for the fun of it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
According to recent reports from Jerry, he wants Moore to take full control and wants to know of anyone who gets in his way.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hmm. I'm not convinced the style of offense is the important thing. I think it's about having the talent and personnel to execute whatever game plan you choose to employ. If the guys you have are elite at doing what they do then stopping them is difficult regardless of anything. I agree that a more creative approach would be entertaining though. I'd love to see Dallas pull a fake punt on 4th down just for the fun of it.
Yea, talent trumps all just like we saw in the 90’s. If we’re counting on our coaching to overcome any lack of talent we have. We’re screwed with Jerry’s ways. Lol

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"In 2019- Will we see a more creative offense or will we just see more of the same Garrett offense just with a guy who looks about 15 calling the same plays?
Which will it be?"

Garrett was given full control of the offense when he came here as an inexperienced OC, but I don't think Garrett will do the same for Moore unless Jerry gives the order. Garrett believes "Vanilla" is how the game is supposed to be played and he doesn't intend to play it any other way, even if it means losing. He's been doing it that way for 12 years, I don't think he'll change now.

I don't know if Moore has the goods or not, but I'd like to see Jerry give Moore the same shot he gave Garrett, put Moore in charge of the offense and put Garrett in charge of clapping.
“Vanilla” should be Garrett’s nickname. In a league of “31 flavors”, Garrett consistently orders the “Vanilla cone”, lol.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

THIS!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
According to recent reports from Jerry, he wants Moore to take full control and wants to know of anyone who gets in his way.
Yup.

This is excellent in that it means JG is going to have to (presumably) give up some control of the offense, but also terrifying in the fact that Jerry is dictating things this way lol.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Well, let's all hope clapper has been told to simply come up with new, exciting raa raa slogans, goes to the TC for clapping talent and learns a few new sidle line butt slapping and hand patting moves, and stays the hell out of calling plays...8 years of his offense by committee has grown old and tire some to say the least. He has GOOD players, we all know this, and yet he insist on doing the same old tired dance. What his butt best do this season, with all this talent, especially if they keep our core players, is get them ready for the big games. Disgusting watching this bunch come out flat and disoriented after a bye or going into a playoff round.

conner01

Reaction score
You want up front dominance but there is a need to help that dominance with creative plays
If a team knows you are running they can put number you and stop you no matter how good the oline is
I want both, dominate oline and creative play calling
That’s how you get up there close to 30 in scoring per game

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Does Kellen Moore have-

Which will it be?

I think it extends even further. Not just being vanilla, but being at a distinct DISADVANTAGE when it comes to coaching. And scouting.

Other teams are doing everything they can to gain an advantage. Not these Cowboys.

They’re scouting tendencies, and realizing that McVay is coaching Goff on the field. And putting a stop to it. Not us. We’re telegraphing our own tendencies to opponents and putting our players at a distinct DISADVANTAGE.

75boyz

Reaction score
I think it extends even further. Not just being vanilla, but being at a distinct DISADVANTAGE when it comes to coaching. And scouting.

Other teams are doing everything they can to gain an advantage. Not these Cowboys.

They’re scouting tendencies, and realizing that McVay is coaching Goff on the field. And putting a stop to it. Not us. We’re telegraphing our own tendencies to opponents and putting our players at a distinct DISADVANTAGE.

Yep, superior preparation, ie coaching, is definitely in the details. Nice post.

Last edited: