Creativity not brawn the key to our future offensive success

ShortRound

Reaction score
Curious to see how this year plays out. I think Garrett is in a tough situation.
—If Kellen succeeds, will Garrett any receive credit?
—If Kellen struggles, will Garrett get canned?

I think Garrett has to let Kellen open it up, and see what he can do, for his own survival.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Curious to see how this year plays out. I think Garrett is in a tough situation.
—If Kellen succeeds, will Garrett any receive credit?
—If Kellen struggles, will Garrett get canned?

I think Garrett has to let Kellen open it up, and see what he can do, for his own survival.
I agree on all your points. If KMoore succeeds wildly and becomes the “hot new coordinator” does Garrett benefit? I would think he would because if Moore succeeds, it most likely means the team is winning. That will certainly benefit JG.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Don't kid oneself, in the heat of a playoff run...smart takes second fiddle to up front dominance. One creates the other...

The Rams established "up front dominance" by being smarter than the Cowboys. New England turned around and outsmarted the Rams.

It's not as if the Patriots linemen are the 70s Steelers and ours are the 76 Bucs and they're just physically more powerful. They're better coached.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Despite Garrett's football philosophy, coaches actually have jobs to do on gameday. Who knew?

As for Moore, he doesn't need to be a football prodigy to do better than Linehan.

1. Let our running QB run.
2. Introduce more uncertainty into opposing defenses with more variation in play calling by personnel, formation, and down and distance.

You don't need to know any football to do that.

New plays would be welcome, but we've got plenty of plays, we just need to call the right ones at the right time.

The low hanging fruit is sitting on the ground. Moore is walking into a fantastic situation to look like Boy Genius. Frederick is back, depth across the oline, losing no one of any significance but Beasley.

Frederick says he learned a lot on the sidelines this year. Bad news for the NFL. Good news for Moore.
Good point it’s not going to take much for Moore to be better than Linehan. I am 99% sure this offense will score more points and gain more yards than Linehan’s boring, predictable, and basic offense from last year!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I agree. A smart physical team, like NE, can look physically dominant because they put their players in very good position to make plays( block, tackle, catch, cover, etc.)

conner01

Reaction score
If we can stay healthy I expect to be in top 5 in scoring
All you have to do is get one or two more td’s instead of FG in the redzone to get there
If he can just fix our redzone offense this team will score some points
Just imagine how better Zeke life will be if teams had to play pass on early downs

sulu1701

Reaction score
Hmm. I'm not convinced the style of offense is the important thing. I think it's about having the talent and personnel to execute whatever game plan you choose to employ. If the guys you have are elite at doing what they do then stopping them is difficult regardless of anything. I agree that a more creative approach would be entertaining though. I'd love to see Dallas pull a fake punt on 4th down just for the fun of it.
Good coaching takes the talent, employs their strengths, and puts them in the best position to succeed, that gets lost with the Cowboys

Number1

Reaction score
Does Kellen Moore have-
1. The green light from Garrett to add some new formations and plays to jazz this up?
2. The ability after only one year of NFL coaching to jumpstart an offense lacking a lot of scoring punch?

In 2019- Will we see a more creative offense or will we just see more of the same Garrett offense just with a guy who looks about 15 calling the same plays?

Which will it be?

say they'd just resigned Cooper or Frederick wasn't down with an unusual situation ... or Irving didn't implode ...
this game is about blocking and tackling - execution, not scheme

I doubt the success of the 0 will ride on Kellen, but Frederick and *whoever* plays LG next year - the ability to execute

will Kellen change some things? yes

can he jump start the team? depends on who's on the team

show me a 2019 roster and I'll give you a good idea of their record, and I don't much care who the DC is or what Wilson does with Dak's mechanics.

Dre11

Reaction score
Smart coaching takes precedence over stubborn coaching.

A coach who sticks with the same ole' game plan over and over and expects a different result will find himself playing second fiddle to coaches that innovate and change their game plan to fit the situation.

How that work out for the "innovative " McVay?....lol

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Both. Just physical brawn is not enough by itself, but you'd better have it to scheme around.

I thought to refute you by looking at NEs oline.

Holy cow. Their tackles are Trent Brown 360 and Marcus Cannon 335.
Beef.

One of the things about bigger and stronger is that it may not show up for much of the year. Maybe you're not the most motivated guy. But come the playoffs, or the SB, you're probably going to find that motivation and do more damage than those RKGs who diligently work it all year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Rams established "up front dominance" by being smarter than the Cowboys. New England turned around and outsmarted the Rams.

It's not as if the Patriots linemen are the 70s Steelers and ours are the 76 Bucs and they're just physically more powerful. They're better coached.

Scheme isn't a catch all...those all have an exploitable weakness. But dominance by players shapes weaknesses. There are only so many surprises in a game...then it comes down to beating the alternatives as well.

birdwells1

Reaction score
I agree on all your points. If KMoore succeeds wildly and becomes the “hot new coordinator” does Garrett benefit? I would think he would because if Moore succeeds, it most likely means the team is winning. That will certainly benefit JG.
Naw, KM would get all the credit and rightfully so, what would have changed from 2018 to 2019 season? The OC.

Them

Reaction score
Between 1992-95, the Dallas Cowboys offensive talent was so dominant, the prevailing belief was that opponents could be in our huddle and it wouldn’t matter. The Cowboys offense was capable of physically whipping opponents into submission. That was the identity and the practice of those 90s teams, and it worked to the tune of 3 Lombardis in 4 years.

Now, nearly a quarter century later, NFL teams’ ability to physically dominate opponents is almost non-existent. In the “parity” and salary cap era of today, even the currently dominant patriots are not capable of just pinning their ears back and whipping their opponents. Today’s best offenses are creatively using deception and a variety of looks to win in the playoffs.

We must all hope Jason Garrett has received that memo.

Because Garrett has both shown with his offensive philosophy, play calling and public comments that this team tries in philosophy to be more like the ‘92 Cowboys than a 2019 NFL offense that is built to win in today’s NFL playoffs.

Slogans like “Finish the fight” look good on a t-shirt, but having an overly simplistic playbook centered on a power running game alone frankly just won’t get it done. We have 8 seasons of evidence that prove it. Surely this organization understands this right?

I’m not saying we shouldn’t have a great running game highlighting one of the best RBs in the NFL. I’m not saying we need to sling it around all day, throwing 50 passes. But I am saying that if this team intends to get past the divisional round of the playoffs, some creativity with this highly predictable offense is sorely needed.

Does Kellen Moore have-
1. The green light from Garrett to add some new formations and plays to jazz this up?
2. The ability after only one year of NFL coaching to jumpstart an offense lacking a lot of scoring punch?

In 2019- Will we see a more creative offense or will we just see more of the same Garrett offense just with a guy who looks about 15 calling the same plays?

Which will it be?

...Right...I couldn't agree with ya more on JG's pragmatic offensive approach...I believe JJ understands this...I also believe Moore is to be given the opportunity to make a difference...to create a new way!...I just hope he's up for the job!... :thumbup:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm certain that there some other teams in the NFL more capable of fielding players with more brawn than the Cowboys. Be that as it may, cunning in the play calling and talent levels on both offense and defense are certainly key components separating the contenders from the pretenders.

The Cowboys of 2019 promise to be a team with many questions to be answered before a knowledgeable idea can be offered as to our strength and ability to prevail throughout the regular season and the playoffs. I'm faithfully hoping that this team's questions can be answered very capably.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
Having Moore as OC is just another form of hope! We will see similar things as when Garrett and LInehan tried to open up the offense. Moore will call deeper routes and find that Daks inconsistency on the deeper throws will cause him to reel things in and we will be right back at what Linehan was calling. I really dont see the offense changing much.

Dre11

Reaction score
Worked out pretty well. They made it to the Superbowl, did they?

How bout your boy Garrett? Hows that working out these days?

Yet they lost with all that innovation. Still 1 of 31 teams without the prize...lol

75boyz

Reaction score
Having Moore as OC is just another form of hope! We will see similar things as when Garrett and LInehan tried to open up the offense. Moore will call deeper routes and find that Daks inconsistency on the deeper throws will cause him to reel things in and we will be right back at what Linehan was calling. I really dont see the offense changing much.

You are so right I believe. This is what I fear. An off-season where he still does not come out of it with fundamentally sound footwork and the ability to place the ball accurately over 10 yards with NFL secondary coverage (small windows). I will "hope for the best." (but internally, doubt it happens.)

The next chapter in "To Pay or Not to Pay" continues...