Current Head Coaches who've won Super Bowls

GMO415

Reaction score
There have been 7 super bowl winning head coaches who went to another team after winning one, but never won another SB. They are:
  • Hank Stram- won SB III with chiefs, later coached saints
  • Tom Flores- won SB XV and XVIII with Raiders, later coached Seahawks
  • Mike Ditka- won SB XX with bears, later coached saints
  • Bill Parcells- won SB XXI and XXV w/ giants, later coached pats, jets and Cowboys
  • George Seifert- won SB XXIV, XXVIIII with niners, later coached panthers
  • Jimmy Johnson- won SB XXVII and XXVIII with Dallas, later coached the dolphins
  • Mike Holmgren- won SB XXXI with pack, later coached Seahawks.
That’s 7 SB winning coaches that tried again for another team and never succeeded. That’s actually very telling.
Probability says Bullet, we may be close to breaking that stat......

HungryLion

Reaction score
No Head Coach has ever won a Super Bowl with two different teams.

This is true. Though I think it’s more so a reflection of how hard it is to put it all together and win a championship, as opposed to, an indication that for some reason it’s tougher for a coach to win a super bowl at their next stop.

It’s just hard to put the talent and coaching staff together to win a championship.

There’s also a number of coaches who have come pretty close.

Parcells went to a super bowl with the patriots and an afc title game with the jets. All after winning with the giants.

Reid went to a super bowl with the eagles prior to winning one with the chiefs.

Holmgren won a Super Bowl with Green Bay and went to a super bowl with Seattle.

Gruden came a tuck rule away from winning a divisional playoff game with the raiders before winning one with the bucs.

gary kubiak made a couple divisional rounds with the Texans before winning with the broncos.

I think there’s more.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is true. Though I think it’s more so a reflection of how hard it is to put it all together and win a championship, as opposed to, an indication that for some reason it’s tougher for a coach to win a super bowl at their next stop.

It’s just hard to put the talent and coaching staff together to win a championship.

There’s also a number of coaches who have come pretty close.

Parcells went to a super bowl with the patriots and an afc title game with the jets. All after winning with the giants.

Reid went to a super bowl with the eagles prior to winning one with the chiefs.

Holmgren won a Super Bowl with Green Bay and went to a super bowl with Seattle.

Gruden came a tuck rule away from winning a divisional playoff game with the raiders before winning one with the bucs.

gary kubiak made a couple divisional rounds with the Texans before winning with the broncos.

I think there’s more.
There have been 8 super bowl winning head coaches who went to another team after winning one, but never won another SB. They are:
  • Vince Lombardi- won SB I and II with pack and went to Coach the skins
  • Hank Stram- won SB III with chiefs, later coached saints
  • Tom Flores- won SB XV and XVIII with Raiders, later coached Seahawks
  • Mike Ditka- won SB XX with bears, later coached saints
  • Bill Parcells- won SB XXI and XXV w/ giants, later coached pats, jets and Cowboys
  • George Seifert- won SB XXIV, XXVIIII with niners, later coached panthers
  • Jimmy Johnson- won SB XXVII and XXVIII with Dallas, later coached the dolphins
  • Mike Holmgren- won SB XXXI with pack, later coached Seahawks.
That’s 8 SB winning coaches that tried to win a SB again for another team and never succeeded. Jon Gruden and Mike McCarthy are two current HCs who have won a SB with another team and have changed teams attempting to win another. Hopefully Big Mac breaks this pattern.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just to illustrate how tough it is to win a SB with another team , Parcells is perhaps one of the best examples as he’s the only HC in NFL history to lead 4 different teams to the playoffs and 3 different teams to a conference championship . He also of course took two different teams to a Super Bowl.

He illustrates how great coaching can elevate a team but it also illustrates how critical Elite talent is to win it all. And he simply didn’t have enough pieces in his other 3 locations.

plasticman

Reaction score
I think the lesson is it’s ultimately about the talent. And in some cases the opposing talent which stops them.

Landry awesome system took 4 different QB’s to a championship game or SB. The most in NFL history. But only one QB delivered. And he was by far the best one Landry had.

He had QB’s arguably good enough to win more but they either lost to more talented teams or weren’t enough in their biggest games.

Landry obviously had talented enough teams to win more championships and Super Bowls but credit must also go to the opposing talent in which the Packers and Steelers for example simply had greater talent.

The Packers did not have greater talent than the Cowboys. The Cowboys had many more Pro Bowlers than the Packers in 66 and 67

The Steelers had greater talent in 1975, not 1978 where they were even in Pro Bowlers.I realize that is not the sole determinant, but it indicates the general perception at the time. Even if the Packers and the Steelers had better talent, it doesn't erase the fact that all four games were determined by a single play. Now the question as to why the Cowboys couldn't succeed in that play was factors that included officiating, weather, a fluke play, and just bad luck.

In the first NFL championship game against the Packers, the game was decided on the last play when Meredith threw a pass into the end zone. One of the Packers blew their assignment and went to the wrong area were Meredith just happened to throw the ball. That player's mistake allowed him to be in the position to intercept the ball....brutal.

plasticman

Reaction score
The good news is that it appears McCarthy has close to full power. A quick glance of the roster and it's obvious what McCarthy wants he is getting.

McCarthy has close to full power with the Cowboys......whose owner and GM is Jerry Jones?

Your right, it does appear that way.......however, being a Cowboy fan during Jerry Jones's entire ownership......you will have to excuse me if I am deeply skeptical. I just don't think Jerry could handle Cowboy success under someone with more authority than him. He would have to make some executive decision at precisely the wrong time.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Or it can just be tough to win a Super Bowl. Hopefully McCarthy becomes the 1st to win a Super Bowl with multiple teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Packers did not have greater talent than the Cowboys. The Cowboys had many more Pro Bowlers than the Packers in 66 and 67

The Steelers had greater talent in 1975, not 1978 where they were even in Pro Bowlers.I realize that is not the sole determinant, but it indicates the general perception at the time. Even if the Packers and the Steelers had better talent, it doesn't erase the fact that all four games were determined by a single play. Now the question as to why the Cowboys couldn't succeed in that play was factors that included officiating, weather, a fluke play, and just bad luck.

In the first NFL championship game against the Packers, the game was decided on the last play when Meredith threw a pass into the end zone. One of the Packers blew their assignment and went to the wrong area were Meredith just happened to throw the ball. That player's mistake allowed him to be in the position to intercept the ball....brutal.
The Packers from the 60’s have the most HOFamers in NFL history with 13.

By 66 and 67 those teams were aging and we were in position to win both of those championships. We had enough talent to win.

My bigger point though is there’s no shame losing to greater teams and talent.

I’m not one who buys into a single play determines the game.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
McCarthy has close to full power with the Cowboys......whose owner and GM is Jerry Jones?

Your right, it does appear that way.......however, being a Cowboy fan during Jerry Jones's entire ownership......you will have to excuse me if I am deeply skeptical. I just don't think Jerry could handle Cowboy success under someone with more authority than him. He would have to make some executive decision at precisely the wrong time.
Yea, I’m not buying into Mikey having full control. Seems like I recall Jerry front and center at the draft. He also stipulated he wanted to keep Moore.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
SB winning NFL Head Coaches
  1. Bill Belichick - 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016, 2018
  2. Jon Gruden - 2002
  3. Mike Tomlin - 2008
  4. Sean Payton - 2009
  5. Mike McCarthy - 2010
  6. John Harbaugh - 2012
  7. Pete Carroll - 2013
  8. Doug Pederson - 2017
  9. Andy Reid - 2019
Discuss...

SB Losing NFL Head Coaches
  1. Andy Reid - 2004
  2. Bill Belichick - 2007, 2011, 2017
  3. Mike Tomlin - 2010
  4. Pete Carroll - 2014
  5. Ron Rivera - 2015
  6. Dan Quinn - 2016
  7. Sean McVay - 2018
  8. Kyle Shanahan - 2019
Discuss...

In the 1970's, Don Shula, Chuck Knoll and Tom Landry all won multiple Super Bowls.
In the 1980's, Tom Flores, Bill Walsh, and Joe Gibbs all won multiple Super Bowls
In the 1990's, Jimmy Johnson, George Siefert, and Mike Shanahan all won multiple Super Bowls

Since 2000, only Bill Belichick has managed to win multiple Super Bowls as a Head Coach during a decade, and he did it twice.

NFL coaches who have won Super Bowls with with more than one team - zero.

Discuss...

Blackrain

Reaction score
Parity is the reason.

NE was as close to a dynasty as we may ever see again, and I'm still not sure how they did it. Cheating maybe lol, not sure.

Maybe coaching actually matters. Kraft didnt mind having a personality bigger than him around in order to win.

Jerry on the other hand....whenever that situation would happen it would be....ok thanks, I'll take it from here, then the team regressed each time.

Watching Jerry play with his toy has been fun, yes?

I think other teams had to rely on coaching while the Patriots employed a level of espionage only found in elite military units to know exactly what other teams were going to do before they did it . LOLOL It was like Bellichick was in their headset at times and I think he was.

You just dont win the division and advance in the playoffs every year with minimal talent without having some kind of edge. That edge certainly is not the draft as finishing at the top continually puts you drafting at the bottom .

Pats never had a problem with cheating and I think the whole franchise bought in and made it an art form LOL It will all leak out 20yrs from now

MyFairLady

Reaction score
McCarty has full control over whatever Jerruh tells him his has control over. This is a Dallas Cowboys roster if I have ever seen one. The year after we let Murray walk and had that real young and hungry team was the one time it felt like we had real purpose and direction. That was thrown out the window faster than a fat man on a smarty.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think accumulating talent is first...and drafting well is a huge part of that with a salary cap.

The best of coaches cant win with crappy players.

But you ought to be able to count on your staff not putting you at a disadvantage every week, and I'm not sure that didnt happen here for quite some time.

Swagger

Reaction score
SB winning NFL Head Coaches
  1. Bill Belichick - 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, 2016, 2018
  2. Jon Gruden - 2002
  3. Mike Tomlin - 2008
  4. Sean Payton - 2009
  5. Mike McCarthy - 2010
  6. John Harbaugh - 2012
  7. Pete Carroll - 2013
  8. Doug Pederson - 2017
  9. Andy Reid - 2019
Discuss...

SB Losing NFL Head Coaches
  1. Andy Reid - 2004
  2. Bill Belichick - 2007, 2011, 2017
  3. Mike Tomlin - 2010
  4. Pete Carroll - 2014
  5. Ron Rivera - 2015
  6. Dan Quinn - 2016
  7. Sean McVay - 2018
  8. Kyle Shanahan - 2019
Discuss...

In the 1970's, Don Shula, Chuck Knoll and Tom Landry all won multiple Super Bowls.
In the 1980's, Tom Flores, Bill Walsh, and Joe Gibbs all won multiple Super Bowls
In the 1990's, Jimmy Johnson, George Siefert, and Mike Shanahan all won multiple Super Bowls

Since 2000, only Bill Belichick has managed to win multiple Super Bowls as a Head Coach during a decade, and he did it twice.

How many of those coaches worked with Aaron Rodgers?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting note about Bill Belichick. Never won a thing without the greatest QB of all time. Was a loser in Cleveland. Wasn't much better in New England until Brady emerged.

Parcells career impresses me more. No matter where he went, no matter what the situation, he will turn you into a contender. He even did it in Dallas attached to two morons.

plasticman

Reaction score
That’s not as telling as it sounds because most head coaches never even go to another team after winning the Super Bowl.
Over half of the Super Bowl winning coaches went on to coach another NFL team

Tom Flores
Mike Ditka
Bill Parcells
Goerge Siefert
Jimmy Johnson
Mike Holmgrem
Mike Shanahan
Jon Gruden
Vince Lombardi
Hank Stram
Don McCafferty

.....and none of them won a Super Bowl with their new team.