Cut Crawford sign Zeke

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Completely agree. With that said I think you cut ties there bc 1. we need the cap space and 2. He’s just not a fit. Like you said, he’s made it work admirably. But I think it’s more important that other guys get paid. I have no doubt that Crawford still has value in the league and he’ll get solid money elsewhere.

To say nothing of the roster spot. Do we really want to cut a young player with potential upside like Joe Jackson or Jaylon Jelks so that we can hold on to and overpay Tyrone Crawford for yet another year and then worry about where we're gonna play him?

I'm done. Beyond done. Get him as far away from playing defensive end as you possibly can. If there's room inside at defensive tackle, he can take a significant pay cut and stick around as part of the rotation there. But he has no business whatsoever being mentioned at defensive end and should in no way negatively affect the roster there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His sacks must have came from inside then, could have swore I seen him get a sack on the outside though.

They all came inside, and from stunts that freed him up. The same stunts that opponents figured out the tells for. The same stunts that the Rams used against us and abused us with while they ran over us for nearly 300 yards while we had zero sacks. I've done the nerve-wracking, pain-staking homework and looked at the footage. If the scheme doesn't free him up, he doesn't beat his man.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
They all came inside, and from stunts that freed him up. The same stunts that opponents figured out the tells for. The same stunts that the Rams used against us and abused us with while they ran over us for nearly 300 yards while we had zero sacks. I've done the nerve-wracking, pain-staking homework and looked at the footage. If the scheme doesn't free him up, he doesn't beat his man.
I wasn't debating if he is a great player or not, with Quinn suspension and Lawrence not fully healthy, Crawford could help in the rotation unless of course he gets suspended then he is gone for sure.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wasn't debating if he is a great player or not, with Quinn suspension and Lawrence not fully healthy, Crawford could help in the rotation unless of course he gets suspended then he is gone for sure.

No problem. I was just pointing out the fact that he's done nothing at the defensive end position for two years and has no business being lined up there. It's a disservice to the team and akin to playing defense with one arm tied behind your back.

I'll take my chances that between Armstrong, Taco, Hyder, and Jackson that they could manage to achieve just 1 sack from the RDE position. That puts us ahead of anything Crawford has done there.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Zeke is replaceable. There, I said it. It’s the most replaceable position in football, which is why it is being devalued. I’m sure the Rams thought they couldn’t replace Gurley last year too, then there was C.J. Anderson.

Pollard is going to excel behind this offensive line, just watch. If Zeke doesn’t report for week 1, he’s going to lose any negotiating leverage that he has once Pollard goes off for 150 yards rushing in his first career NFL game.
I am book marking this comment. The guy with ine career 100 yard game in college is going to finally become a workhorse back when he's never been the guy. Hahaha.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Front load the money this year and lets go already. Get Cooper done too and then franchise Dak next year or if you give him the long term you could franchise Byron and move him for a 2nd round pick.
Cancel your direcTV/cable service and buy a new Ferrari...

Zeke wants a 75M plus contract.

The cost to keep vs cut Crawford is 7M.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
They do not have to cut Crawford in order to sign Zeke. Rumors are that JJ and SJ do not want to reset the RB market. They have the cap room they just do not want to make Zeke the highest paid RB in the NFL. Which honestly I agree with considering the off the field issues and the potential for more issues. Zeke's comparable is Lev Bell not Todd Gurley

I agree. Cutting Crawford should be so you can pay Collins not Zeke. Keep those resources on the DL if Collins proves worthy this year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Zeke is replaceable. There, I said it. It’s the most replaceable position in football, which is why it is being devalued. I’m sure the Rams thought they couldn’t replace Gurley last year too, then there was C.J. Anderson.

Pollard is going to excel behind this offensive line, just watch. If Zeke doesn’t report for week 1, he’s going to lose any negotiating leverage that he has once Pollard goes off for 150 yards rushing in his first career NFL game.
Agreed.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Front load the money this year and lets go already. Get Cooper done too and then franchise Dak next year or if you give him the long term you could franchise Byron and move him for a 2nd round pick.

I could not agree more. Personally I would trade Zeke but if they must sign him cut Crawford to help with the cap. 2020 has a ton of contracts to work out so space needs to be created. Besides if Crawford is going to play DE, he should have 4 or 5 guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
What part is that? Underachieving? Disappointment? Off field troubles? Injured and not practicing?

He can be effective inside and out, and when he plays inside he helps the DE's. I think he is a quality player. His contract is what it is, I was not going down that road. I think if he got cut this year, he would be missed

And he is a leader

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Misconception that you can't afford the sign these players is wrong.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Zeke is already scheduled for cap hits of 8 million and 9 million over the next two years, doing an extension won't add much (if any) to the cap.

The issue isn't cap room, its the two sides agreeing on the numbers.

You can word it however you want, but the issue with Elliott is the $3.8 million he is scheduled to earn in 2019. That’s why he’s holding out...not because of a cap number

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He can be effective inside and out, and when he plays inside he helps the DE's. I think he is a quality player. His contract is what it is, I was not going down that road. I think if he got cut this year, he would be missed

And he is a leader

I guess it depends on what you consider “effective “.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To say nothing of the roster spot. Do we really want to cut a young player with potential upside like Joe Jackson or Jaylon Jelks so that we can hold on to and overpay Tyrone Crawford for yet another year and then worry about where we're gonna play him?

I'm done. Beyond done. Get him as far away from playing defensive end as you possibly can. If there's room inside at defensive tackle, he can take a significant pay cut and stick around as part of the rotation there. But he has no business whatsoever being mentioned at defensive end and should in no way negatively affect the roster there.
I wish I would 'like' this more than once.

Cutting Jackson or Jelks so Crawford can play DE is very stupid.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you consider “effective “.

5.5 sacks, 51solo/combo tackled, 12qb hits, 4 tackles for loss. Played inside and out filling needs due to suspension/injuries+ the playing time he earned

I am not saying he is a superstar, but I wouldn't cut him.

There is depth at the dline now, but there is also injuries.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dont think crawford is great player but I dont think the dline is as stacked as some people do. I'd keep him at least until next offseason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5.5 sacks, 51solo/combo tackled, 12qb hits, 4 tackles for loss. Played inside and out filling needs due to suspension/injuries+ the playing time he earned.

Zero sacks outside against starting tackles for the last two years. Zero. That's a big, fat, zero. And the "5.5 sacks" you want to bring up like it's an accomplishment? Every one of them came as the result of scheme, and stunts that freed him up to get them. Not a one of them was "earned" by Crawford actually beating the man in front of him. Not a one. I've actually done the homework.

I am not saying he is a superstar, but I wouldn't cut him.

There is depth at the dline now, but there is also injuries.

Him being chief among them! He hasn't practiced one bit since camp starter, and I'm not sure if he has all offseason.