News: CW: Rico Gathers' marijuana arrest video, via bodycam footage, released

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rico's pretty much done here. If his crappy on-field play and Witt returning didn't do him in, an arrest probably will.

Although in his defense, I will say that the offensive staff did him a disservice by trying to teach him how to block in any way, shape or form. You're starting with an 8th grade level player technique-wise, you're never going to make him into a well-rounded Y tight end. Just have him run downfield and grab the rebound from the safety.

Maybe Rico never had it as a receiver (his jump ball attempt vs Tennessee was pretty pitiful), but trying to bulk up a basketball player and make him a blocker just screams of Garrett taking a square peg and trying to put it into his system's round hole. Just like how we never threw to Zeke for two and a half seasons, just like how we parked a dominant press-man corner as a deep zone FS, just like how we made a great zone-blocking line switch to a power scheme they struggled in, just like how we kept running 3 TE sets with the worst starting 3 TEs in football. The coaches have a scheme in mind and they're going to execute it, talent on the field be damned.

Jerry does not appear to think players should be tested or suspended for Weed.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Did the cop say, “I know it’s unusual to be arrested for THAT amount of marijuana” ???

Right after they couldn’t even find the blunt/joint/roach what have you???

So they basically admitted they were smoking but no stuff was found???

Am I missing details???

:huh:

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Seems very unnecessary to arrest him.

Having said that if you're 6-7, 280 smoking weed in a park at night you're just putting a target on your back, especially in upper middle class suburbia like Frisco Texas.

Silly to think he's got that perspective. Even when illegal, I'd be in LA or SF in public settings where weed was smoked openly. Dude grew up in New Orleans where you can pretty much do anything.

Weed is a pretty normal thing for many of these kids. They aren't thinking "oh, I'm in a middle class suburb, it might be different here."

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Silly to think he's got that perspective. Even when illegal, I'd be in LA or SF in public settings where weed was smoked openly. Dude grew up in New Orleans where you can pretty much do anything.

Weed is a pretty normal thing for many of these kids. They aren't thinking "oh, I'm in a middle class suburb, it might be different here."

The team has many meetings and presentations where they warn the players out what to avoid.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Rico Gathers' marijuana arrest video, via bodycam footage, released

usatsi_11121607.jpg

Rico Gathers has had a rough start to 2019, with Jason Witten's return virtually assuring a tight squeeze at the tight end position. and now, TMZ has released the body cam footage of Gathers&...

Read Full Story
U can always tell the idiots and guys that don’t get it.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The team has many meetings and presentations where they warn the players out what to avoid.

Oh, you are embedded?

Yeah, I'm sure the team tells them "you'll just get a ticket here ... but in this county, look out."

Your fantasy scenario seems unlikely.

More likely, it is the general "don't use drugs, kids" message with not much else behind it

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, you are embedded?

Yeah, I'm sure the team tells them "you'll just get a ticket here ... but in this county, look out."

Your fantasy scenario seems unlikely.

More likely, it is the general "don't use drugs, kids" message with not much else behind it

Yes. I know a Policeman that spoke to the team in a "what not to do" presentation.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Yes. I know a Policeman that spoke to the team in a "what not to do" presentation.

Wow, the team really thinks these kids have ever had reason to trust the police?

Way to know your audience!

Vanilla2

Reaction score
I really see no issue with this. The cop was professional and respectful, Rico was remorseful and not confrontational or inappropriate.

Dude got arrested for something that he'd get a ticket for in a more progressive county or not even cited for in a non-bassakward state

Word

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Seems very unnecessary to arrest him.

Having said that if you're 6-7, 280 smoking weed in a park at night you're just putting a target on your back, especially in upper middle class suburbia like Frisco Texas.
Poor Frisco peeps. They sacrifice a lifetime of livin' right, move to Frisco. Nearby, a huge guy is smoking rope.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I wouldn't release him. Cowboys have put this much time and training into him. Witten will only be back for this year. Plus, the team needs 4 TEs as usual. I say keep him and keep developing him. Increase his strength. If all comes to worse, convert him to a D-lineman, but he does have decent running and catching ability. He would have scored an easy TD when Dak failed to see him streaking wide open behind coverage late in the season (can't remember which game it was). His blocking has gotten better. If Cowboys let him go, I guarantee the Patriots will pick him up and develop him into a very good TE, especially now that Gronk has retired. Don't be fools by listening to the crowd, Cowboys. Keep developing Rico and use him. He's cheap contractually.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Rico's pretty much done here. If his crappy on-field play and Witt returning didn't do him in, an arrest probably will.

Although in his defense, I will say that the offensive staff did him a disservice by trying to teach him how to block in any way, shape or form. You're starting with an 8th grade level player technique-wise, you're never going to make him into a well-rounded Y tight end. Just have him run downfield and grab the rebound from the safety.

Maybe Rico never had it as a receiver (his jump ball attempt vs Tennessee was pretty pitiful), but trying to bulk up a basketball player and make him a blocker just screams of Garrett taking a square peg and trying to put it into his system's round hole.

just like how we kept running 3 TE sets with the worst starting 3 TEs in football. The coaches have a scheme in mind and they're going to execute it, talent on the field be damned.

Yeah, with the pickup of Olawale last year, I was hoping we'd go 20 formation and leave the JV TE squad on the bench for most of the games. 3 guys, all borderline PS squad players. But no. "Next man up". Even when Swaim went out.

But as for Rico, I think the opposite from you. Blocking should have been the first thing he learned, and by most accounts, it wasn't seriously attempted til this year.

We've turned LBs into FBs in an offseason. As far as TEs go, Rico's advantage is his size and strength. That can be best leveraged as a blocker, not a receiver. If Rico could learn to block and run a few short yardage routes he's an asset in short yardage and goal line. That's a career in the NFL.

His best near term future was more Mike Vrabel than Dez. A short yardage guy who could move people with his power, with soft hands and eyes that could track a ball to catch a short pass.

It's running real routes downfield that was going to take a long long time. Top college WRs come into the league and can take years to learn.

Telling Rico to go be Lynn Swann first was sure to fail. Even watching him run, he looked like Escobar. But worse. Similar long striding plodder. But slower. With worse hands. And *much* worse routes. All in all, as a *receiver*, he showed nothing that indicated he would ever be as good as Escobar. And Escobar is now out of work with AAF folding.

What Rico had over Escobar was size and strength. Make use of that as a blocker, where he's got 20lbs of muscle, at least, on his TE competition, and Rico can have something better than Escobar, better blocking, and be more than Escobar was. Which is necessary if you want to play in the NFL.

The attempted goal line post up for Rico was a clown show. He just looked bad. Not even a basketball player, let alone a post up receiving threat. Also showed that those kind of post ups aren't Dak's game either. It was a bad pass.

The story once upon a time was that Tony rode Rico on PS during 2016, and even Byron couldn't stop them. Tony was also a point guard once upon a time. Maybe that gave him and Rico extra chemistry for a two man game. Tony knew how to use Rico probably better than any of the coaches. Tony gone, nobody knows what to do with a basketball player. Dak sure doesn't, and that's not knocking him. It's not his job to figure that one out.

Learning to block, and adding in some short yardage routes was always the most direct path for Rico having a career in the NFL.

Maybe those stories about Tony and Rico being unstoppable on the PS were true. Maybe Rico has receiving skills that *some* QB could use. But that guy isn't Dak. Once Tony was gone, our post up and placement was gone. Rico is *never* going to be the kind of separation receiver that Dak will be eager to target.

But he could get on the field and put his strength and length advantages to use and, as Hudson Houck once said, just hit somebody.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The better headline would be, Dallas Cowboys release Rico Gathers

I never get the purpose of releasing a guy in a fit of pique in the offseason who costs diddley and you have the rights to.

We're at the 90 player time of the season. Rico is a lot better than a lot of those 90. We may be cutting him just because we can't resist signing TEs, but that cut will come during roster cuts. Until then, he's free insurance.

They could have cut him last season for this during roster cuts. They didn't. They're not going to cut him now because a video of what they already knew about has come out.

Luckily, Stephen doesn't throw rights away. He shrugs and makes the most of the rights to players that he has.

I don't have a problem with the team making suspensions a big part in their decision to sign or extend guys. But once you've signed them, cutting them because you're upset over something they've done is cutting of your nose to spite your face.