News: CW: Rico Gathers' marijuana arrest video, via bodycam footage, released

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I wouldn't release him. Cowboys have put this much time and training into him. Witten will only be back for this year. Plus, the team needs 4 TEs as usual. I say keep him and keep developing him. Increase his strength. If all comes to worse, convert him to a D-lineman, but he does have decent running and catching ability. He would have scored an easy TD when Dak failed to see him streaking wide open behind coverage late in the season (can't remember which game it was). His blocking has gotten better. If Cowboys let him go, I guarantee the Patriots will pick him up and develop him into a very good TE, especially now that Gronk has retired. Don't be fools by listening to the crowd, Cowboys. Keep developing Rico and use him. He's cheap contractually.

We have his rights through 2020. Someone around here said they looked at his blocking in detail and found significant improvement.

Maybe the run in with the law was actually good for Rico. Could have happened. He wasn't an *** on the video. He seemed to really see that he could lose it all. Instead of fantasizing over being the next Gronk, he's worried about remaining in the league at all.

I don't know if he's ever even a good starting TE. But a solid blocking TE useful in short yardage routes should be entirely within his reach.

ghst187

Reaction score
Rico's pretty much done here. If his crappy on-field play and Witt returning didn't do him in, an arrest probably will.

Although in his defense, I will say that the offensive staff did him a disservice by trying to teach him how to block in any way, shape or form. You're starting with an 8th grade level player technique-wise, you're never going to make him into a well-rounded Y tight end. Just have him run downfield and grab the rebound from the safety.

Maybe Rico never had it as a receiver (his jump ball attempt vs Tennessee was pretty pitiful), but trying to bulk up a basketball player and make him a blocker just screams of Garrett taking a square peg and trying to put it into his system's round hole. Just like how we never threw to Zeke for two and a half seasons, just like how we parked a dominant press-man corner as a deep zone FS, just like how we made a great zone-blocking line switch to a power scheme they struggled in, just like how we kept running 3 TE sets with the worst starting 3 TEs in football. The coaches have a scheme in mind and they're going to execute it, talent on the field be damned.[/QUOTE

This is why we never make it far in the playoffs....

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We have his rights through 2020. Someone around here said they looked at his blocking in detail and found significant improvement.

Maybe the run in with the law was actually good for Rico. Could have happened. He wasn't an *** on the video. He seemed to really see that he could lose it all. Instead of fantasizing over being the next Gronk, he's worried about remaining in the league at all.

I don't know if he's ever even a good starting TE. But a solid blocking TE useful in short yardage routes should be entirely within his reach.
Agreed. It's evident Rico improved on his blocking in 2018. Cowboys should keep him. He's serviceable, plus he plays special teams.

CWR

Reaction score
The better headline would be, Dallas Cowboys release Rico Gathers

So sick of Rico. I was on the hype train for a short while. After he bragged about being the next big thing I was out lol. Cmon man, do something then talk.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I never get the purpose of releasing a guy in a fit of pique in the offseason who costs diddley and you have the rights to.

We're at the 90 player time of the season. Rico is a lot better than a lot of those 90. We may be cutting him just because we can't resist signing TEs, but that cut will come during roster cuts. Until then, he's free insurance.

They could have cut him last season for this during roster cuts. They didn't. They're not going to cut him now because a video of what they already knew about has come out.

Luckily, Stephen doesn't throw rights away. He shrugs and makes the most of the rights to players that he has.

I don't have a problem with the team making suspensions a big part in their decision to sign or extend guys. But once you've signed them, cutting them because you're upset over something they've done is cutting of your nose to spite your face.
The guy can't play, three years still raw, missing assignments, can't block, terrible route runner, not fast or quick, shows up to camp twenty pounds heavier (292lbs)when he should have been 20 pounds lighter, can't play tightend at almost 300, looks like a basketball player, not a football player, the Cowboys are wasting a roster spot on him , time to move on from the overhyped Rico Gathers experiment!

Londonboy

Reaction score
Thoughts.
1) What a nice polite Cop.
2) Rico and the unidentified Lady acted correctly (apart from getting caught in the 1st place).
3) If Rico enjoys smoking outdoors, He should play better, then He could get paid enough to afford to rent or buy a house with a big garden, possibly even a Gazebo or Pagoda, if He does really well, He might even be able to upgrade to an ornamental Pond with Koi Carp.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
It seems like just yesterday the coaches were such idiots for not betting the farm on him as Witten’s replacement.
I'm just perplexed as to why he was on the team for so long, when they had no intention of using him.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I really see no issue with this. The cop was professional and respectful, Rico was remorseful and not confrontational or inappropriate.

Dude got arrested for something that he'd get a ticket for in a more progressive county or not even cited for in a non-bassakward state

Well, his job depends on not being an idiot off the field and he knows how the NFL is with marijuana use. So, I see issue with this.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I'm really not understanding how stupid one must be to risk losing their money over something petty.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
I really see no issue with this. The cop was professional and respectful, Rico was remorseful and not confrontational or inappropriate.

Dude got arrested for something that he'd get a ticket for in a more progressive county or not even cited for in a non-bassakward state
If you're going to break the law you better know where and when you can and can't do it...there's absolutely no excuse for this crap.
Dude's risking making 6 figures PLUS by smoking some herb...it's a joke and shows a complete and total lack of self control AND ability to think about the future and the consequences of his actions.

Anybody with a brain who could potentially make millions of dollars wouldn't be stupid enough to risk their future like that. He either knows he ain't gonna make it or he's a total moron. Choose one or both.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
If you're going to break the law you better know where and when you can and can't do it...there's absolutely no excuse for this crap.
Dude's risking making 6 figures PLUS by smoking some herb...it's a joke and shows a complete and total lack of self control AND ability to think about the future and the consequences of his actions.

Anybody with a brain who could potentially make millions of dollars wouldn't be stupid enough to risk their future like that. He either knows he ain't gonna make it or he's a total moron. Choose one or both.
You gotta have a bag man and a fall guy .... 'it wasn't me..... I am the DD'

dfense

Reaction score
Queue the "Garrett never liked me" interview when he gets released.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Rico's pretty much done here. If his crappy on-field play and Witt returning didn't do him in, an arrest probably will.

Although in his defense, I will say that the offensive staff did him a disservice by trying to teach him how to block in any way, shape or form. You're starting with an 8th grade level player technique-wise, you're never going to make him into a well-rounded Y tight end. Just have him run downfield and grab the rebound from the safety.

Maybe Rico never had it as a receiver (his jump ball attempt vs Tennessee was pretty pitiful), but trying to bulk up a basketball player and make him a blocker just screams of Garrett taking a square peg and trying to put it into his system's round hole. Just like how we never threw to Zeke for two and a half seasons, just like how we parked a dominant press-man corner as a deep zone FS, just like how we made a great zone-blocking line switch to a power scheme they struggled in, just like how we kept running 3 TE sets with the worst starting 3 TEs in football. The coaches have a scheme in mind and they're going to execute it, talent on the field be damned.
So many jokes can be made from the bolded line.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He broke the law and was arrested.
It's an NFL banned substance, for all that want to keep him - how if he's possibly suspended?
Lastly, he's just simply not good enough.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm just perplexed as to why he was on the team for so long, when they had no intention of using him.
It kept the posters on forums busy with Rico Love instead of Booger, Son, Garrett, Linehan, Marinelli, Whoever the QBC is at the time or Dak hate.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
The Gone to Pot League. Instead of a football, they could use a fat blunt and if they intercept it, they get to smoke it.
:lmao:we oughta' rethink this thru,ya know CC ,,,cuz' if that Blunt ball was to say?,,, already smouldering? ,,, well now, that added incentive to
" hustle up& git after at"

would infinitely enhance the home viewerships BLUNTBALLISH experience, just thru the visual actual activities transpiring down on the field doncha' see?:lmao: