Dak’s improved deep ball is way more important than any play call change

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
OP created a thread for debate for all opinions. I picked one of the two answers. Don't make this more than what it is. My opinion of his passing ability outweighs my opinion of what an oc can do with a passer.

It's like this. A faster car doesn't make you a better driver. Some feel we just need to improve everything about the car, ignoring the driver. If the car brakes too soon into a turn or accelerates too late out of a turn or runs off track people believe we need to improve the already spec'd out vehicle. The car is already great, but apparently its not enough.

So what I'm saying is that our system/offense, which is whatever nice car you can think of, will benefit from an improved driver. Get to that point first, then you can replace the car all you want if you don't like it.
Well one can argue the other way as easy. But that is a good point and more to what the os is looking for.
Your original post sounded like a attack Dak post and we have enough of those :)

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
To answer the title question. TRUE.

An improved deep ball goes toward better execution. Moore can call the right play on third and short, but if its poorly executed we'll end up punting. Execution is more important than play calling.

Dak needs to stretch the field.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
The two are not mutually exclusive but the change in overall play design is obviously more important than the 5 or so deep shots any QB takes a game much less a marginal increase in efficiency therein.

Knowing the defense has to defend the whole field is important but changing play design affects every single offensive snap.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They go hand in hand. Our missed opportunities deep were not because teams knew what we were doing, it was failure to connect vs 1 on 1 coverage. Even with our simple offense fixing this still opens up everything else we do as teams would have to respect that part of the game. But also Moore's window dressing should also help the offense overall.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More like this, please.

dak-best-deep-throw-beasley.gif

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Kellen Moore gets all the hype but the real MVP of the offseason to me is what Kitna is doing with Daks deep ball.

Even in last years “boring offense” there were easily 7 or 8 gimme TDs there that were just missed like Beasley vs the Falcons, Olawale vs Colts and how many bombs to Gallup.

Just connect on the bombs and everything changes. Whole every offense could use some updates, Daks deep ball changes everything.

Remember the great saints averaged 19 ppg the rest of the year starting vs Dallas and the Rams were nothing like their old selves once Krupp went down.

Moore having shifts will do more for the running game IMO because it moves the LBs when Zeke can cut it back.
False. When you get inside the 10 yard line as much as the Cowboys and throw the ball with Zeke at RB and no QB draws or roll outs with Dak at QB...the problem is play calling.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Kellen Moore gets all the hype but the real MVP of the offseason to me is what Kitna is doing with Daks deep ball.

Even in last years “boring offense” there were easily 7 or 8 gimme TDs there that were just missed like Beasley vs the Falcons, Olawale vs Colts and how many bombs to Gallup.

Just connect on the bombs and everything changes. Whole every offense could use some updates, Daks deep ball changes everything.

Remember the great saints averaged 19 ppg the rest of the year starting vs Dallas and the Rams were nothing like their old selves once Krupp went down.

Moore having shifts will do more for the running game IMO because it moves the LBs when Zeke can cut it back.
Agreed. Dak's deep ball and all 3 levels throwing accuracy, plus anticipation decision improvement, is so important to hear.

Flamma

Reaction score
False. Aikmans weakness was the deep ball and look what he did. Also, some of those missed plays last year were due to bad route running especially by Gallup. Disguising the offense so the defense has to hesitate is much much more important.

I'm also in the false corner. In fact, I don't even think his deep ball is bad. When he first came on the scene he played like he had nothing to lose. No one really expected much. So in preseason and much of 2016 he was laying them right in there. Dez was the recipient of quite a few. I just think his recent issues are due to jitters caused by more being expected of him along with a heavy pass rush. He's a young dude, give him a break. I am confident he'll work through that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

False.

Redzone scoring was a problem and that won't be solved by better deep ball passing.

erod

Reaction score
I agree w/ your premise, though I'm not convinced that your reasoning is sound. I think there's more to it than that. If Moore is an adequate OC, you may be proven incorrect. Gonna be interestin' for sure!!!
He's got to let the ball go consistently into tight coverage. With Dak, it's not just the throws he makes, it much more about the throws he won't try to make.

erod

Reaction score
More like this, please.

dak-best-deep-throw-beasley.gif

Terrific play, but you can't build an offense based on that. That's street ball. That's a Lamar Jackson play.

You have to be able to read defenses and execute the designed stuff first and foremost.

JayFord

Reaction score
At times last year daks deep ball was flat out disgusting like “oh no get a bucket so I can throw up” disgusting

But at times his deep ball was fluid like the end of the year especially that one to Cole Beasley

So yes if he keep trending the way he was at the end of last season his deep ball will be a strength

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Red zone in the playoffs was 4/5 once they stopped trying to get cute and just pounded it in. That approach should work even better with Fred in

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Does throws a great deep ball so its definitely the play calling.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Hitting deep balls "would change everything", per Sanjay.

I've been saying much the same since 2017. Press manning our wideouts without help was what let defenses throttle down our run game. They were daring us to beat them deep, and we weren't doing it. Start hitting the deep balls, and they'll have to back off the LOS and clear out the box.

Play change *might* still be more important because Linehan was so exceedingly awful. I put the failure to beat that defensive scheme against us on him most of all.

Last edited:

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score

blueblood70

Reaction score
false protect the ball more, less sacks, and hit open guys in the redzone..not all his fault but deep balls are not high percentage stuff and id rather see more TDs , les sacks, less fumbles, and just an efficient offense..