Dak’s improved deep ball is way more important than any play call change

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Terrific play, but you can't build an offense based on that. That's street ball. That's a Lamar Jackson play.

You have to be able to read defenses and execute the designed stuff first and foremost.

The question was about hitting the deep ball and I suggested more accurate deep balls for completions, such as the one pictured.

Besides being obvious to anyone reading this thread, your second sentence is irrelevant to the topic at hand.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
if they got 5 of the 8 deep balls missed they'd still have a low scoring offense, so its the play calling. Even the best qbs miss some deep balls.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I think Dak's biggest problem is that he throws the ball to avoid a defender. That's why there are so many misses on one-on-one over the top throws. He doesn't wanna throw anywhere close to making contact with a player from the other team. He overthrows because he doesn't wanna take the chance of the ball being intercepted.

While I acknowledge his issues, I also think that his lack of interceptions is definitely a huge asset. Interceptions can kill you at times. It can easily flip the game.

NotForLong

Reaction score
False. Aikmans weakness was the deep ball and look what he did. Also, some of those missed plays last year were due to bad route running especially by Gallup. Disguising the offense so the defense has to hesitate is much much more important.
?

NotForLong

Reaction score
To a degree yes. But Dak has to improve on having consistent drops in the pocket. OL learn early on when its supposed to be 3 step drop they expect the qb to be about 3 yards deep 5 steep drop 5 yards and 7 step about 7 yards. But if the drop is consistent like 3 step can be anywhere from 2-5 it makes it harder to block the guy by directing him, pass blocking is more about directing the guy especially for tackles. So if that part of Dak's mechanics gets squared away the OL performance will improve greatly because the OL will have better feel for where they expect Dak to be.
How about the 9 yd drops with a "Twist"

NotForLong

Reaction score
Far more to it than that.

It's about recognizing zones and leverage, knowing when to throw the ball, and being able to put it in tight windows.

Deep balls are always a bit of a crapshoot, and down the sideline, he's just fine at it. It's much more about those 15-20 yard balls over the middle against zone coverages. It's more about recognizing where the blitz is coming from so he knows where the defense is compromised. And ultimately, if he sees it, can he consistently deliver the ball accurately and on time.

Dak needs the CONFIDENCE to do that first. He has held the ball too long primarily because he didn't trust what he was seeing, nor did he trust that he could get it there. He waits for guys to get wide open, which doesn't happen much in the NFL like it did in college.
It figures that no one likes this . . . because they can't see it

NotForLong

Reaction score
If the defense knew what Dallas was doing all the time, then why were the Cowboys able to go up and down the field between the 20s so well?

In the red zone, space is really tight. Your QB has to be able to throw in tiny windows with velocity, or place perfect balls on fades and back shoulder passes. Nobody is wide open down there.

Teams just sat in short zones and dared him. He would pat the ball over and over, or he'd just throw the safe fade to the corner and accept the incompletion if it was off target.
How come nobody liked this? . . . Didn't any of you actually watch the Cowboys games

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
QB rating is meaningless blather.
Passer rating is just four very common passing stats combined. Which of these elements would you remove, and what would replace it/them with?

yard per attempt
TD%
INT%
completion %

Using those four elements, here are the top 5 passers over the last five seasons, according to passer rating. Who would you remove, and who would you replace him/them with?

1 Brees
2 Brady
3 Ryan
4 Rodgers
5 Wilson

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Was it? I thought Aikman in his prime was one of the league's best deep throwers.
Nope. It was his only weakness. They had so many weapons that he didn’t have to throw deep often. It was a timing offense and the vast majority of his throws were intermediate throws where he was one of the best.

erod

Reaction score
Passer rating is just four very common passing stats combined. Which of these elements would you remove, and what would replace it/them with?

yard per attempt
TD%
INT%
completion %

Using those four elements, here are the top 5 passers over the last five seasons, according to passer rating. Who would you remove, and who would you replace him/them with?

1 Brees
2 Brady
3 Ryan
4 Rodgers
5 Wilson
I prefer to just understand what I'm seeing, and ignore statistical manipulations entirely.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I'm honestly not sure, but I do want the team to make it an emphasis in training camp to work on and improve Dak's deep ball and outside routes. If he can get better in that area, it will be of huge benefit to the team.

kskboys

Reaction score

yard per attempt
TD%
INT%
completion %

1 Brees
2 Brady
3 Ryan
4 Rodgers
5 Wilson
Over the last 5 years?

1. Brady
2. Rothlisberger
3. Rodgers
4. Luck
5. Wilson

I like stats and think they definitely have their uses, but stats are almost useless as a standalone argument.

cern

Reaction score
the relevance of last year compared to what has yet to be done this year is lost on me. I can honestly see where wr's, o-line, running game and dak will all be improved over last year.

Sheffielder74UK

Reaction score
The biggest improvement Dak can do is trust his line again. After the Falcons a couple of years ago he seems to be on the move when Ben could have stayed in the pocket. We keep the best Olne in the field, and he needs to trust it

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Kellen Moore gets all the hype but the real MVP of the offseason to me is what Kitna is doing with Daks deep ball.

Even in last years “boring offense” there were easily 7 or 8 gimme TDs there that were just missed like Beasley vs the Falcons, Olawale vs Colts and how many bombs to Gallup.

Just connect on the bombs and everything changes. Whole every offense could use some updates, Daks deep ball changes everything.

Remember the great saints averaged 19 ppg the rest of the year starting vs Dallas and the Rams were nothing like their old selves once Krupp went down.

Moore having shifts will do more for the running game IMO because it moves the LBs when Zeke can cut it back.

Has the NFL started a Summer season I am unaware of? His deep ball has improved? I dont really care about anything coming out of PRACTICE. AS the poet, Allen Iverson once said.... you talkin bout practice? When I see his improved "Deep Ball," for a season, then Ill believe it.