News: Dak’s performance without Zeke

Qcard

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-co...oys-pay-dak-prescott-lets-look-at-the-numbers

Over his career, Prescott has a higher Total QBR on plays with Elliott off the field (71.3) than he does with him on (70.3). From 2016 to 2019, the only qualified quarterback with at least a 71.3 QBR is Patrick Mahomes (78.2).

Just keying in on the takeaway that Prescott is better without Elliott than with him is simplistic, but it’s close. There’s a similar split with his yards per attempt (7.65 with Elliott and 7.53 without) and first-down percentage of pass attempts (37% with, 35% without).

As a team, Dallas’s third-down percentage without Elliott (43.5) is barely better than with him (43.3).

Another way to examine Prescott’s passing without the threat of Elliott is to look at his performance in empty sets. The NFL calls a pass play on 98.8% of plays with an empty formation (not surprising), so it’s relevant to see how Prescott does when his formation signals an obvious pass before the snap.

Prescott’s performance out of empty sets has been better than good -- his 83.2 Total QBR ranks fourth among qualified quarterbacks (behind Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Andrew Luck). He has thrown for 14 touchdowns with five interceptions and averaged 7.7 yards per attempt out of empty sets, ranking in the top 10 in both touchdown-to-interception ratio and yards per attempt among quarterbacks with 100-plus of those passes over the past four years.
nice work

I'd add obvious passing downs to when we are behind and Zeke is less of factor in run game. Dak Haters call it garbage time. Our garabage defense on the bench.....

Nav22

Reaction score
I know you were quoting without Zeke in the game...big deal, how often does that happen? and how often do the Cowboys win when Zeke is held in check? I haven't looked closely enough but i bet those stats you are talking about have come mostly in games where Zeke has excelled, not in games where he is held in check
“How often does that happen?”

So let me get this straight...

Dak’s performance on EVERY SINGLE PLAY without Zeke over his 4-year career (including the 6-game sample size YOU brought up) are irrelevant....

But his performance during the 6-game sample size you brought up matter a great deal???

How does that make sense? You’re smarter than that, aren’t you?

And you ARE aware that Zeke doesn’t play every single snap, right?

Do better.
:laugh:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s a 6-game sample size.

The stats from the article I posted cover every single play without Zeke over Dak’s entire 4-year career. All 64 games.

I know it hurts.
:thumbup:
Not really, Dak is rewarded from Zeke playing in those games. When he's not, he's .500 and all those purdy qbr ratings stats go out the window...that's very telling. The games he's not playing change the way defenses prepare for us and the effects on the defense as a result of Zeke running the ball. Give him Goff money for 4 years, think it's fair for both sides tbh.

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So what’s what about? Clarify boy!
I'd say that is a typo...but hey if you wanna come at me! :cool:

Did you know there's a Cambridge study with mixed up letters of words...and people can glean the meaning of them..even stupid people?

So THAT's what this is about? Just giving people what for and your "2 cents". I wouldn't even give you 1! ;)

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Dak’s performance on EVERY SINGLE PLAY without Zeke over his 4-year career (including the 6-game sample size YOU brought up) are irrelevant....

But his performance during the 6-game sample size you brought up matter a great deal???

Do better.

Once again...I;d like to ask....with Zeke out probably a obvious passing down...why wouldn't a QB rating be higher? How does it compare to other QB's?

Just not trusting this stat to mean anything...other than Dak doing what he's supposed to be doing when he has to NOT handing it off to zeke. Maybe you can set me straight.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what happens when you don't fully read something. What is it that you don't understand about what I said?

You see...this is what happens when you don't fully read something. I said I was in pretty much agreement with a lot of what you said. My question to you was clear and simple. And sincere. But you are so defensive and combative you missed it. I will try again, we'll go a bit slower for you.

If zeke is on the bench....MOST of the time it would be for clear passing downs. Yes SOMETIMES a breather but MOSTLY going into passing down sets. If we don;t agree on that then no need to continue.

Let's just say that is MOSTLY true. Why WOULDN'T a QB rating be naturally higher...as he MUST accumulate good QB stats for the team to succeed in the passing down.

This is NOT a criticism of you or Dak. Not sure why you are taking it that way, In fact I think it's a compliment that Dak is doing his job, doing what a QB is supposed to be doing. Other people are taking it as knock on Zeke. I don't see it that way. That's why I am asking you...how is this a knock on Zeke.....when it's really about Dak doing a good job.

Handing off to a RB doesn't give you the same QB rating as successful passing. Right?

aria

Reaction score
I'd say that is a typo...but hey if you wanna come at me! :cool:

Did you know there's a Cambridge study with mixed up letters of words...and people can glean the meaning of them..even stupid people?

So THAT's what this is about? Just giving people what for and your "2 cents". I wouldn't even give you 1! ;)
Seriously? Not even one cent? That hurts.

I did not know about the Cambridge study, sounds interesting. Based on your last three words of that paragraph I now understand why you know all about it. Zeke probably knows about it as well. Probably teaches it, has a Masters in it.

aria

Reaction score
You see...this is what happens when you don't fully read something. I said I was in pretty much agreement with a lot of what you said. My question to you was clear and simple. And sincere. But you are so defensive and combative you missed it. I will try again, we'll go a bit slower for you.

If zeke is on the bench....MOST of the time it would be for clear passing downs. Yes SOMETIMES a breather but MOSTLY going into passing down sets. If we don;t agree on that then no need to continue.

Let's just say that is MOSTLY true. Why WOULDN'T a QB rating be naturally higher...as he MUST accumulate good QB stats for the team to succeed in the passing down.

This is NOT a criticism of you or Dak. Not sure why you are taking it that way, In fact I think it's a compliment that Dak is doing his job, doing what a QB is supposed to be doing. Other people are taking it as knock on Zeke. I don't see it that way. That's why I am asking you...how is this a knock on Zeke.....when it's really about Dak doing a good job.

Handing off to a RB doesn't give you the same QB rating as successful passing. Right?
Are you talking to me or someone I have on ignore?

If it’s me, you’re right, I didn’t even read the title of the thread until just now and haven’t read a single post but yours and the original person who tagged me. I’ll read it in just a few.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously? Not even one cent? That hurts.

I did not know about the Cambridge study, sounds interesting. Based on your last three words of that paragraph I now understand why you know all about it. Zeke probably knows about it as well. Probably teaches it, has a Masters in it.
LOL.....nice spin...but not buying any of it. If even stupid people can understand some (lots!) typos...and YOU need "clarification"....where does that put you?

Not digging the constant bickering here....but playing along with your lead. It's boring. I think I'll just stand down for awhile....see what happens. :)

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you talking to me or someone I have on ignore?

If it’s me, you’re right, I didn’t even read the title of the thread until just now and haven’t read a single post but yours and the original person who tagged me. I’ll read it in just a few.

I believe it was for both you and cowboy roy...but you quoted my question to roy. But please feel free to answer the question! You don't really have to read the whole thread...just the last sentence of the comment you quoted. (Here's me attempting to be kind and civil! It's a sincere question!)

aria

Reaction score
I believe it was for both you and cowboy roy...but you quoted my question to roy. But please feel free to answer the question! You don't really have to read the whole thread...just the last sentence of the comment you quoted. (Here's me attempting to be kind and civil! It's a sincere question!)
Ahhhh...I believe Roy is a Zeke hater as well but some of his posts are ridiculously irrational, finely had to block him. This is one zeke argument I don’t get into nor do I have stats because I think there are too many variables. I’m sure someone could pull some stats that show Dak is better with Zeke or vice versa.

It’s way too situational. Who are we playing? What’s the score? What quarter is it? What kind of play is it? You would have to break all of this down, and more, to convince me one way or the other. If I were to have to guess, I don’t think Zeke’s presence has near as much influence on Daks play as some would have us believe. A little bit of a difference? Yes but not a mega difference. Again, way too many factors at play here.

Nav22

Reaction score
Not really, Dak is rewarded from Zeke playing in those games. When he's not, he's .500 and all those purdy qbr ratings stats go out the window...that's very telling. The games he's not playing change the way defenses prepare for us and the effects on the defense as a result of Zeke running the ball. Give him Goff money for 4 years, think it's fair for both sides tbh.
So Dak gets no credit until Zeke is gone???

You must think VERY lowly of Troy Aikman! What did he do without Emmitt!?!? DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
:angry:

Nav22

Reaction score
Once again...I;d like to ask....with Zeke out probably a obvious passing down...why wouldn't a QB rating be higher? How does it compare to other QB's?

Just not trusting this stat to mean anything...other than Dak doing what he's supposed to be doing when he has to NOT handing it off to zeke. Maybe you can set me straight.
“How does it compare to other QBs?”

Here you go, this was in my OP:

Prescott’s performance out of empty sets has been better than good -- his 83.2 Total QBR ranks fourth among qualified quarterbacks (behind Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Andrew Luck).

aikemirv

Reaction score
How does the defensive alignment differ on 3rd and 10 with Zeke on the field versus off the field? I would say none

How does the defensive alignment differ on 2nd and 5 with Zeke on the field versus off the field? - I would say a good bit more

How about 3rd and 2? - completely different IMO

A 6 game sample size is a much more accurate reflection - however that is very old and has little reflection on today's Dak.

These are all interesting but not meaningful without a much much deaper breakdown!

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score

Do better.
One would have to be a moron to not place much more emphasis on entire games without Zeke over a group of single plays with Zeke on the bench.

This is the single dumbest attempt at promoting Dak ever attempted on this forum.

Nice work.

Nav22

Reaction score
One would have to be a moron to not place much more emphasis on entire games without Zeke over a group of single plays with Zeke on the bench.

This is the single dumbest attempt at promoting Dak ever attempted on this forum.

Nice work.
It was linked from an ESPN article, Mr. Inferior. Only a know-nothing idiot would dismiss the information entirely.

Dak will make over $31m to be the starting QB of your favorite football team in 2020. He wins, you lose.

Feels good, doesn’t it? Your bottom lip’s quivering.
:lmao2:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It was linked from an ESPN article, Mr. Inferior. Only a know-nothing idiot would dismiss the information entirely.

Dak will make over $31m to be the starting QB of your favorite football team in 2020. He wins, you lose.

Feels good, doesn’t it? Your bottom lip’s quivering.
:lmao2:
ESPN?

ESPN he says.

ESPN

BAAHAHAHAHAHA!

He said ESPN!

Kevinicus

Reaction score
So...is the OP suggesting we cut (or at least bench) Zeke, permanently?

Obviously, Dak would excel...:muttley:

#science

PoetTree

Reaction score
None of these stats are relevant with a new coach & system.

Get back to me in another 4 years, should the McCarthy era last that long...