Dak 20-25mil or Tyrod Taylor 12-15Million

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
Just curious. If you were the GM, would anyone else consider Tyrod Taylor from the Browns if you could get him for 12-15 million per year? You could use the extra cap space to stack talent around him and load up of defense. Or, would you simply pay the cost for Dak? This is not a Dak bashing post. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Lifetimeboyzfan

Reaction score
Just curious. If you were the GM, would anyone else consider Tyrod Taylor from the Browns if you could get him for 12-15 million per year? You could use the extra cap space to stack talent around him and load up of defense. Or, would you simply pay the cost for Dak? This is not a Dak bashing post. Just wondering what your thoughts are.
No thanks. I’ll take Dak. Makes no sense to speculate on contract numbers.

InTheZone

Reaction score
I would ignore Taylor and

draft a QB early in 2019, QB comp
draft a QB early again in 2020, QB comp

We have rush and white, if neither look like they're worth a damn then what are they doing here anyway? I want us to bring in QBs without accuracy issues and preferably some pocket awareness so that we can work on other things instead of working backwards. I want to see extra work by the coaches working with the QBs, and vice versa. I wish we could get an update on the progress of the QBs each training camp indicating their biggest weaknesses and how far along they've progressed. But the impression I'm getting is that we're never going to see or hear a thing about our backups. All positions need looked at, QB isn't excluded. If Dak is doing that much better than the rest in practice, training camp and shows steady progression then sure pay him a short term contract, but don't go all in.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tyrod is flat out terrible

Them

Reaction score

...I believe a simply NO will suffice!...:star:

superonyx

Reaction score

We have rush and white, if neither look like they're worth a damn then what are they doing here anyway? I want us to bring in QBs without accuracy issues and preferably some pocket awareness so that we can work on other things instead of working backwards. I want to see extra work by the coaches working with the QBs, and vice versa. I wish we could get an update on the progress of the QBs each training camp indicating their biggest weaknesses and how far along they've progressed. But the impression I'm getting is that we're never going to see or hear a thing about our backups. All positions need looked at, QB isn't excluded. If Dak is doing that much better than the rest in practice, training camp and shows steady progression then sure pay him a short term contract, but don't go all in.
Awesome. Lets ignore are other needs and reach multiple times trying to replace our 2x probowl QB with a career QB rating of 96. I love this place.
200.gif

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Explain this pocket awareness thing you have about Dak

DFWJC

Reaction score
No to Tyrod, though I don't hate him as much as some here.

Anyway, Dak still has a year left in his deal.
I would consider using that 4th year to continue to evaluate--which is what would normally happen with a 1st round QB anyway (but they get a 5th year)

InTheZone

Reaction score
Explain this pocket awareness thing you have about Dak
What part?

Taking unnecessary sacks, lead the league and the O-Line was not terrible as this stat would indicate
Not running when the open lane is there right in front if him
Not throwing when he's looking right at the open receiver
Not reading too well pre-snap
Not scanning the field with time, or gives up on the wr too soon
Doesn't move up in pocket or maneuver too well if he senses pressure
Doesn't utilize the read option too well when the defenses sell on Zeke almost every time

Yes I'm aware every QB does this, but it's easy to see even without the All-22 footage that there are glaring weakness. Let the DB play off, have a perfectly clean pocket, and it's easy for Dak. It's when the pressure is there do we get too many "wth" moments of what exactly is he doing. Some of those weakness are less extreme than the others, and I'm not saying Dak doesn't do anything right.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Yes, so we can have posts on how innacurate Taylor is (compared to Dak). lol.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Why down grade at the position?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Taylor has been in the league eight seasons and has played for three teams because GMs know what he is now as a QB. Dak is coming off his third season and has not fully established what he will be as an NFL QB. He could settle in at a high level of play or could continue to be hit and miss.

Frankly, I would not consider giving him a new contract until after this season simply because I think we need to take as long a look as possible before making that decision. I would also continue to try to build behind him with draft picks because I think the evidence shows that Taylor isn't more than a backup/fill-in starter.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Taylor would be a very good back up. Starter? No, he hasn't played an entire 16 game season. Ever.