Dak and Receivers on Vacation

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A playoff bye week! Very different. This is a group of guys getting together before camp starts. That Cabo trip was ridiculous.

Actually it was the week before a playoff week. They had a bye week.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
None of the guys we have on this team came close to Dez "poor production"....

Look, its ok to not like DEZ, but to believe the guys we have now will step in and the offense won't skip a beat is ********

The Cowboys aren't looking to replace Dez's production with one guy. This will be a "throw to the open man" concept rather than a "throw to the guy who is most vocal" concept.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You made all of this up

Really? What part? It's certainly factual enough that the team, and Dak, have at least said they plan to throw to the open man regardless of who it is. I suppose I can't make an absolute claim that Dak got targets because he was vocal, but I think a large number of fans would agree the team often forced passes to Dez, and that an attempt to appease Dez may have at least played a little part in how many targets he got.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Garrett waited 8 years to try throwing the ball to an open receiver, he's an even bigger football idiot than I thought.

I think that's an overly simplistic takeaway from the discussion. Obviously Garrett and his offense has always planned to throw to open receivers, but there tends to be different definitions of "open" for some receivers. In other words, a team may take more chances with an elite receiver in order to try and get the ball in the hands of a playmaker than they would with a more "move the chains" kind of receiver. I think the Cowboy's plan now is for the game plan and QB to worry less about that kind of distinction and worry more about whichever receiver is most able to make a positive play without adding risk by forcing a ball to a perceived "playmaker".

CPanther95

Reaction score
I think that's an overly simplistic takeaway from the discussion. Obviously Garrett and his offense has always planned to throw to open receivers, but there tends to be different definitions of "open" for some receivers. In other words, a team may take more chances with an elite receiver in order to try and get the ball in the hands of a playmaker than they would with a more "move the chains" kind of receiver. I think the Cowboy's plan now is for the game plan and QB to worry less about that kind of distinction and worry more about whichever receiver is most able to make a positive play without adding risk by forcing a ball to a perceived "playmaker".

I think that's more of an over-simplification.

The narrative that Dez demanded the ball more, therefore many pass plays were wasted forcing the ball to him is BS. If not BS, then Garrett is just as big an idiot for continually forcing the ball to an un-open elite receiver. Also over-simplified to claim that a #1 WR can easily be replaced by just spreading his yards among the rest of the receivers.

Only thing dumber is the "WR by Committee" label. All NFL teams have a committee for their receiving corps.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score

The narrative that Dez demanded the ball more, therefore many pass plays were wasted forcing the ball to him is BS. If not BS, then Garrett is just as big an idiot for continually forcing the ball to an un-open elite receiver. Also over-simplified to claim that a #1 WR can easily be replaced by just spreading his yards among the rest of the receivers.

Only thing dumber is the "WR by Committee" label. All NFL teams have a committee for their receiving corps.
:hammer:

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Really? What part? It's certainly factual enough that the team, and Dak, have at least said they plan to throw to the open man regardless of who it is. I suppose I can't make an absolute claim that Dak got targets because he was vocal, but I think a large number of fans would agree the team often forced passes to Dez, and that an attempt to appease Dez may have at least played a little part in how many targets he got.
This whole “forcing the ball to Dez” mantra on this site is completely overstated.

Dak in his Rookie season said himself that hes not going to force the ball to anybody and will throw it to the open man. Most of what you saw was Dez being the best option on the pass play and the QB and him not being on the same page as to ball placement.

"We’ll get him the ball as it comes up in our offense," Prescott said, via the Dallas Morning News. "We’re not gonna single out and say Dez has to get the ball on this play."

This was after his first career game when dez had only 1 catch in a loss to a division rival...

"I don't really pay attention to who I'm throwing to," said Prescott, who has connected with Bryant 11 times for 150 yards and a touchdown this season. "I just go through my reads. Whoever's open gets the ball. So I mean hope [he] gets well, is well really, really soon, but it doesn't really affect this offense."

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
losers should be learning the playbook instead of out vacating.

so when dak sucks again, we can't use he's not familiar with the WR's. :muttley:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Garrett (or Linehan, or whatever combination of the two) for forcing the ball to a receiver that isn't open, but the reality is teams can and do force more passes to some players than others, and it's not just the Cowboys. I think the Cowboys tried too hard to cling to the idea of Dez as that kind of receiver, which he clearly was at one point, and while I think Dez being vocal and emotional played a part in that, I'm not at all pinning all the blame on Dez for it. Ultimately it's up to the coaches to decide the best approach, whether the players agree or not. I think that's what they are trying to do now, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have done it before.

Last edited: