Dak and Romo very similar career progressions

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Both not high picks that relied on their athleticism.

Both brought sparks to the team when forced to start.

Both had criticism of early Playoff outs and choking big games.

Both led the league in interceptions their 7th year of starting.

Both turned the corner their 8th season. (Dak’s current year)

By season 9, Romo was leading the NFC in several categories and 3rd in MVP voting. Dak looks like he’s on track this year, season 8.

Romo’s body started giving up in season 10. But Dak is 3 years younger than Romo at same experience points since he started as a rookie.

You give these QBs enough time, maybe good things do happen. Hope this is finally the year, and hope Dak stays healthy.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Discounting 2 years Romo sat (call this the difference between Dak playing in the SEC), it took 8 years for Romo to become the best version of himself (2014). Dak has been playing for 8 years and is currenly playing as the best version of himself.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Discounting 2 years Romo sat (call this the difference between Dak playing in the SEC), it took 8 years for Romo to become the best version of himself (2014). Dak has been playing for 8 years and is currenly playing as the best version of himself.
I would also bring up mentality. Both guys were charismatic figures who probably won fans and media over early and sometimes maybe had unfair detractors because of it. But both were different mindsets by year eight. Romo was less the — care free, celebrity dating, goof with the refs — figurehead, and you can see the same maturation in Dak. Still have those key traits that made them pro QBs and people persons, but more dialed in and mature vets that know the expectation that is on them and the team. Both seem to veer more towards an Aikman personality and not afraid to expect more from their peers.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Fortunately the MVP voting isn’t until after Conference Championship games so we should know by then.

Unfortunately for Romo after his most effective season in 2014 when he was runner up for MVP he never played a full season again suffering season ending injury in 2015 and injured in preseason in 2016 basically ending his career . Romo ended up only starting 7 full seasons in his 13 years.

Prescott has been able to stay much healthier and was able to start his first season so is also younger in his 8th season starting. And should break all Cowboys passing records before he’s done assuming we resign him.

All that’s left is to take the Cowboys further than we’ve been this era . Romo took us to brink of a championship game 3 times . Same as Prescott so far but appears will have more opportunities.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good thread......I remember reading a nugget by Romo about how much he mastered the mental part of the game in his last 3-4 years. As he put it, by then he knew the assignments of every player, at every offensive position on every play. It's very similar to what we have seen with Dak in the last 5-6 weeks.

CWR

Reaction score
Both not high picks that relied on their athleticism.

Both brought sparks to the team when forced to start.

Both had criticism of early Playoff outs and choking big games.

Both led the league in interceptions their 7th year of starting.

Both turned the corner their 8th season. (Dak’s current year)

By season 9, Romo was leading the NFC in several categories and 3rd in MVP voting. Dak looks like he’s on track this year, season 8.

Romo’s body started giving up in season 10. But Dak is 3 years younger than Romo at same experience points since he started as a rookie.

You give these QBs enough time, maybe good things do happen. Hope this is finally the year, and hope Dak stays healthy.

For different reasons though. Imo

Romo turned the corner because his run game was absolutely dominant.

Dak because he got a coordinator. KM was trash.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Yeah… not many parallels with that one. Romo ended career with strong running game, Dak started his career with one. Hopefully Dak finally getting his Witten with Fergy.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

You are exactly right, but hell, by then Romo was his own OC........changing and/or calling his plays. Something I think many overlooked was how well he knew the best plays for Dez and would change plays that came from the sideline that didn't Dez in the best position to succeed.

stinkface

Reaction score
A fan of both guys, but honestly I think Romo was better at the mental part, and Dak has better physical tools.
I have always felt that Romo was a more accurate thrower then Dak. This year Dak has gotten better in that regard. Not where Romo was, but not that far behind. Dak size and strength are way over what Romo was. I still think Romo was more elusive in his prime.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I have always felt that Romo was a more accurate thrower then Dak. This year Dak has gotten better in that regard. Not where Romo was, but not that far behind. Dak size and strength are way over what Romo was. I still think Romo was more elusive in his prime.
Would agree with that. Romo more accurate. Dak stronger arm. Leave it to the QB coaches on who throws which routes better. Just don't have an eye for that.

And yeah, Romo more elusive in pocket. As Willys put it, the spin moves and shoulder shakes. LOL Dak more relies on his stronger frame and top speed. But both had great pocket presence and often do/did better things on run or outside of the pocket.

Biggest opposite for both of them, is when faced with tough situation, especially as young QBs... think Romo gets too wild and gunslinger, while Dak gets too conservative and protect the ball. I'll take Dak's. LOL

goshan

Reaction score
A fan of both guys, but honestly I think Romo was better at the mental part, and Dak has better physical tools.
I don't see it on the physical comment. They are very different, but overall I would rate them similar at physical tools.
Romo had a much quicker release. Arm strength about the same. Romo a little more accurate. Romo was quicker/elusive at avoiding the rush and had better pocket presence. Dak is bigger/stronger, maybe slightly faster.

Mentally they both struggled at key moments and seemed to get rattled. Yeah I know Romo has a ton of come back wins but in the really big games it didn't seem to slow down for him at the end.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The difference was Romo was carrying the team until 2014.

Dak has been getting carried until recently.
Maybe. He got that strong O-Line and Zeke to start. But he had crap at receiver until Coop and I would say not until this last year finally had a true #1. Romo went through TO, Dez, Miles Austin, etc.

At TE, Got the tail end of Witten's career. Some relief from Schultz's last year, and now Fergy coming on. But no steady TE presence his entire career.

As far as defense, Romo had much better support early on with that Parcells 3-4. Now Dak finally has some good support. (Until the Seahawks game. LOL)

DFWJC

Reaction score
Yes. Similar indeed.

I do think Dak will break all the Dallas records as his health issues have not been as debilitating. Assuming Dallas keeps supplementing the line and weapons and he stays healthy, blue water ahead.

Those 3-4 years with bad O-lines destroyed Romo. His game was peaking just about when his health was collapsing.

Dak's lines haven't always been perfect by any means---no QB has ever had that, so why would our guy?
He had several years of top-rated lines in his era but some 5-6 game stretches of subpar lines too.
However, I suspect if you took his O-lines average rank for his whole career it would be very near the best in the NFL....
That trumps everything for NFL QBs. Ask Brady.

Last edited:

CWR

Reaction score
You are exactly right, but hell, by then Romo was his own OC........changing and/or calling his plays. Something I think many overlooked was how well he knew the best plays for Dez and would change plays that came from the sideline that didn't Dez in the best position to succeed.

Yeah when you look at what has held us back it's not the talent on the field.

Where this FO has failed us time and again is coaching. Garrett and then KM stold years from us.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Yes. Similar indeed.

I do think Dak will break all the Dallas records as his health issues have not been as debilitating. Assuming Dallas keeps supplementing the line and weapons and he stays healthy, blue water ahead.

Those 3-4 years with bad O-lines destroyed Romo. His game was peaking just about when his health was collapsing.

Dak's lines haven't always been perfect by any means---no QB has ever had that, so why would our guy?
He had several years of top-rated lines in his era but some 5-6 game stretches of subpar lines too.
However, I suspect if you took his O-lines average rank for his whole career it would be very near the best in the NFL....
Agree. Good way to put it. As goes your O-Line, so goes your team, so goes the health of your QB.

That helps me put my finger on it. As Catch posted up above, a lot of fans say Romo had to carry his team. Not true if you really look at it and compare Dak and Romo's supporting casts.

Romo had better receivers, and had his own lethal defense while Parcells and Phillips 3-4 big boys hit the field.

But.... Romo had some awful O-Line issues for a few years that really hurt his career, and even his future health.

1942willys

Reaction score
Agree. Good way to put it. As goes your O-Line, so goes your team, so goes the health of your QB.

That helps me put my finger on it. As Catch posted up above, a lot of fans say Romo had to carry his team. Not true if you really look at it and compare Dak and Romo's supporting casts.

Romo had better receivers, and had his own lethal defense while Parcells and Phillips 3-4 big boys hit the field.

But.... Romo had some awful O-Line issues for a few years that really hurt his career, and even his future health.
Yeah remember when Jerry proclaimed that Phil Costa was a NFL center?