Dak and Zeke dont care about championships

waldoputty

Reaction score
i should not, but i would laugh my butt off if zeke reluctantly comes in game 11 and pops his achilles.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's not about Jerry. It's about the wheels of time.

Jerry has to pull the trigger on the contract, what I mean is that he may decide to play hardball and let Zeke sit out a game or two or a season, or pay him, time has nothing to do with it.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Paid like a top 3 when he ranked number 18 last year? o_O Naaaaaa....QB is a more important position.

True, though it's very possible to this team he's more important, otherwise we may have to rely on Dak's passing, which according to some here is awful....

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
jaylon shows how it is done

Jaylon is a team guy first and is grateful for everything the Jones's and team have done for him by taking a chance on him.

:muttley:

Jaylon has been in the league 3 years, same as Zeke, and missed an entire season due to injury. The Cowboys just made him one of the highest-paid LBs in football.

It's easy to be a "team guy" when the team treats you that way.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry has to pull the trigger on the contract, what I mean is that he may decide to play hardball and let Zeke sit out a game or two or a season, or pay him, time has nothing to do with it.
In time we will see if the offense falters without Zeke. If they do well, re-signing Zeke will be less of a priority, if the offense falters then re-signing Zeke will be more of a priority... it will take time to see what happens.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
In time we will see if the offense falters without Zeke. If they do well, re-signing Zeke will be less of a priority, if the offense falters then re-signing Zeke will be more of a priority... it will take time to see what happens.

Agreed, but that's not pertinent to my comment that you never know what Jerry will do, that's just Jerry being Jerry, he may decide it's not worth the risk to see what will happen and pay Zeke tomorrow (not likely, but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes as far as discussions, etc.)...

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I work for ExxonMobil (or is it Coca Cola, or Walmart? I can't remember), and I don't care if my employer becomes the best oil company (or soda pop or retailer). I just want my money!

waldoputty

Reaction score
I work for ExxonMobil (or is it Coca Cola, or Walmart? I can't remember), and I don't care if my employer becomes the best oil company (or soda pop or retailer). I just want my money!

sure you dont
that does not apply to top tier athletes whose cares about their legacy.
if zeke and dak dont care enough about their legacy, then treat them like any other commodity.
bleed them dry and dump them when convenient
there are the franchise tags available etc.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Agreed, but that's not pertinent to my comment that you never know what Jerry will do, that's just Jerry being Jerry, he may decide it's not worth the risk to see what will happen and pay Zeke tomorrow (not likely, but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes as far as discussions, etc.)...
You must not be listening to every interview Jerry does and be picking up on how his approach to Zeke has been evolving. He's now in a more passive mode just waiting to see how the offense performs in the regular season. Zeke is definitely not going to be signing a new contract this offseason.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sure you dont
that does not apply to top tier athletes whose cares about their legacy.
if zeke and dak dont care enough about their legacy, then treat them like any other commodity.
bleed them dry and dump them when convenient
there are the franchise tags available etc.

I know it's not the same - I was kind of being a smart***. But I don't think it's altogether off base either. Obviously football players have a much more limited window in which they can earn top dollar in their field than most people do. I make a lot more money in my 50's than I did in my 20's, but that's not how it works with NFL players. For most their earning potential will be dramatically reduced by their early to mid 30's, and many much earlier than that. So they can't afford to be too selfless.

That's not to say I think the Cowboys should cave and pay whatever a player asks, or that a player is justified in asking for a contract that is well above market level, it just means that I understand the desire to get the best deal a player can.

In any case, once he is signed I would bet that Dak would be willing to restructure his contract along the way to help ease salary cap burdens, much like Romo and Witten and other players around the NFL have done. But the key there is that players that do that already have a big financial package secured - it's much easier to be team friendly when that is the case.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What bothers all of us is their contract demands tell us about their desire for a championship, or lack thereof.
They just want to grab every dollar even though they know there is a cap limit.
They know their demands really hurt the chances of a championship because there is a limit to what tricks can be played with the cap.

How about Zack Martin? He is highest paid OG in the NFL or DLaw he is the highest paid DE in the NFL. To point a finger at Zeke and Dak of not caring about a championship in my view is way off base. Yes they are looking to get long-term deals just as others have yet and made into villains

waldoputty

Reaction score
I know it's not the same - I was kind of being a smart***. But I don't think it's altogether off base either. Obviously football players have a much more limited window in which they can earn top dollar in their field than most people do. I make a lot more money in my 50's than I did in my 20's, but that's not how it works with NFL players. For most their earning potential will be dramatically reduced by their early to mid 30's, and many much earlier than that. So they can't afford to be too selfless.

That's not to say I think the Cowboys should cave and pay whatever a player asks, or that a player is justified in asking for a contract that is well above market level, it just means that I understand the desire to get the best deal a player can.

In any case, once he is signed I would bet that Dak would be willing to restructure his contract along the way to help ease salary cap burdens, much like Romo and Witten and other players around the NFL have done. But the key there is that players that do that already have a big financial package secured - it's much easier to be team friendly when that is the case.

they could let him hold out the next 10 games and it would not be a big deal.
if the team is a contender, then it will still make the playoffs before zeke rejoins.
after the season, they could readily draft another rb who would be much cheaper.

zeke is an a+ rb.
it is easy to get an a- rb.
they could easily draft one in the 2nd round, particularly next year.

zeke and his agent better realize who has the leverage.
they are riding on jerry's old will and they are pushing their luck.
it is good for the cowboys to show that they will do a top 5/10 deal but not reset the market.
they have more players to sign.
they cannot afford any more of this type of contracts.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they could let him hold out the next 10 games and it would not be a big deal.
if the team is a contender, then it will still make the playoffs before zeke rejoins.
after the season, they could readily draft another rb who would be much cheaper.

zeke is an a+ rb.
it is easy to get an a- rb.
they could easily draft one in the 2nd round, particularly next year.

zeke and his agent better realize who has the leverage.
they are riding on jerry's old will and they are pushing their luck.
it is good for the cowboys to show that they will do a top 5/10 deal but not reset the market.
they have more players to sign.
they cannot afford any more of this type of contracts.

I can't say I agree with that. A team's chances to contend do, in fact, rely to a large degree on the quality of their players, and losing the best players very easily can decrease a team's chance to be competitive.

I don't think it really is that easy to get a RB that is that is just a slight drop off from Zeke. That's not to say a team can't tweak things a little and get by without an a+ RB, but it's not just a given with a team that emphasizes the running game like Dallas does

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You must not be listening to every interview Jerry does and be picking up on how his approach to Zeke has been evolving. He's now in a more passive mode just waiting to see how the offense performs in the regular season. Zeke is definitely not going to be signing a new contract this offseason.

We'll see...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
n any case, once he is signed I would bet that Dak would be willing to restructure his contract along the way to help ease salary cap burdens, much like Romo and Witten and other players around the NFL have done.

Yes, and that's why all the hullabaloo about $40 million, or $35 million or whatever is a bit overblown, the NFL salary cap is so convoluted that there's lots of things that can happen down the road. Not to mention the cap increases every year.

Dak could be traded in a couple of years down the road as well, like others have done, so to get all bent out of shape over Dak's (alleged) demands makes for interesting comments but hardly means the contracts are written in stone...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
:muttley:

Jaylon has been in the league 3 years, same as Zeke, and missed an entire season due to injury. The Cowboys just made him one of the highest-paid LBs in football.

It's easy to be a "team guy" when the team treats you that way.

And Jaylon did have the injury, seems to be fine now, but injuries like that have a way of shortening a career, Zeke has had no major injuries, so there's that to figure in. Jaylon is hedging his bet, so to speak, imho...